Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has built a kit guitar from thomann? The harley benton kits?

They are really cheap, and have got some good reviews, so I'm thinking of getting a LP shape, spray it black and have a niceish looking LP.

I'm not too bothered about the playability, as it would be a nice piece of wall art for the price, but if they play OK it would be an even better bargain.

Just wanted to hear some UG'ers opinions.
Last edited by conanwarrior at Oct 29, 2014,
Kits aren't beginner projects, nor are they cost effective in any way.

If you have advanced skills already, then you could probably build a guitar without the kit. If you don't, then understand that gluing the neck on, doing a bit of sanding and hosing the result with black paint isn't going to give you much of a guitar. OR wall art.

And given the cost of the kits and the amount of time you'll put into the effort, it's a bit of an expensive learning experience.
Well its only £70, so it won't be a big loss. It's only a bit of fun , if I get something that works out of it it will be a bonus.

Just wondered if anyone on here had ever tried one.
Last edited by conanwarrior at Oct 29, 2014,
Go for it, I think it is a great way of learning about guitars. But you can get a decent used guitar and refinish it.

I built a SAGA tele kit a few yrs ago and it turned out decent. I did upgrade a few parts, but I did it with budget parts and the overall guitar is decent and sounds good. It is by far perfect, but it is a cool project that if you take your time will turn out an OK guitar.

Now from what I have heard the Carvin kits are top notch.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Go for it, I think it is a great way of learning about guitars. But you can get a decent used guitar and refinish it.

I built a SAGA tele kit a few yrs ago and it turned out decent. I did upgrade a few parts, but I did it with budget parts and the overall guitar is decent and sounds good. It is by far perfect, but it is a cool project that if you take your time will turn out an OK guitar.

Now from what I have heard the Carvin kits are top notch.

I built a kit guitar a few years ago; sad to say the pre-drilled holes for the bridge were not quite in the right position, and the low e string wouldn't intonate properly.

So I raised the action on it, and just use it for dicking around with a slide.

Been thinking about a Carvin kit for next year, since I'll have some free time in the summer.
They're as cheap as chips but you get what you pay for. I bought 2, an SG and a Strat and had similar problems with holes not being in the right places but in the end they've set up okay. The SG, surprisingly, has a really nice tone to it.

I basically bought them because they were fun to put together and at the time I wasn't sure if I was going to start playing again after a 20 year break, so got them as a temporary measure.
Yeah I have read a few stories of the holes not matching up, on the other hand there are lots where they do match up. I suppose it is luck of the draw.

I could get a decent guitar and refinish it, but I already own a nice guitar, just want to do this as a bit of fun really, and if I want another good guitar, I'l buy one down the line. (As everybody does ).

I'l be getting one as a christmas present, When I have done it and finished the set up, I will have to post some pictures.