Someone mentioned this in a thread and caught my attention, here's my situation:

I have a Tonelab EX which I use as a preamp, I need some diversity since the current project I'm working on is a cover band for Hard Rock, Metal, Punk, top 40 kinda thing. So I have to cover tones from Metallica to Guns to Rage Against The Machine (to name a fex)

This is pluged into a Line 6 Spider Valve 112, only used for the Power Amp and speaker (being a V30)

So, bassicaly, I like this setup and the tone when playing loud enough.
Only problem, when I'm at home the wife and kids don't realy need to hear me play (even more when the kids are asleep!), so I have to tone both down; the PreAmp is almost closed as is the Spider Valve. I think you can imagine it being an issue for the valves not having enough work to "shine"

So, I asume an attenuator would help on this case?
What are the best "price to performance" in theses devices? I don't realy know much about thoses so, is it worth it to spend a lot or would something cheaper suffice?
And, would the sound change "less" between playing at low volume vs. loud?
I don't have any real experience with attenuators, but I always heard they worked a lot better for lowering the overall volume slightly (say, for a slightly smaller gig) than for getting you cranked tones at bedroom level.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I don't have any real experience with attenuators, but I always heard they worked a lot better for lowering the overall volume slightly (say, for a slightly smaller gig) than for getting you cranked tones at bedroom level.

ive known many that used them for the purpose of bringing amps down to bedroom levels. There are many factors that go into this obviously like the which one you use etc. Do some research and you will find something.
Thanks for the "do some research" advise, I am also reading a lot conscerning the subject, but I'd like some real life input... If I want some static review, I look somewhere else than a forum...!
I have the Tom Schulz power soak, it seems to work pretty well but I've used it very little. Since it won't handle the 2 ohm output of a Fender Super Reverb it's been sitting there gathering dust for a couple of years. (It only has 4 and 8 ohm capability, maybe 16 I can't remember.) The one thing I do know you need to watch out for, is they seem to be rough on transformers.

It probably will bring a loud amp down to bedroom volume, it did with my 130 watt Peavey MX, and a 50watt Peavey Classic (the older one made in 1977) but I normally used it to just get a lower stage volume cranked up. For that it worked great. Also make sure if you get one, put it where it can get good ventilation, they tend to build up a bit of heat.

Personally, I'd just deal with the little difference and live with the bit wimpier sound, turn the amp low and not worry about it too much. I practice either with an acoustic or with my Cort hollow body unplugged most of the time. If I want to plug in, I use the Fender Champ, usually at low enough volume it's clean, I don't worry about getting that killer tone, I just need to hear the thing. Practicing clean helps too because I can hear any little mistake and work it out.
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Oct 29, 2014,
I have a basic 12dB L-pad on my Epi VJ. It reduces volume, but it also cuts the top end and makes the amp sound a bit doughy. I wouldn't use that system again, I would go for something more sophisticated.
Quote by Paleo Pete
I have the Tom Schulz power soak, it seems to work pretty well but I've used it very little. Since it won't handle the 2 ohm output of a Fender Super Reverb it's been sitting there gathering dust for a couple of years. (It only has 4 and 8 ohm capability, maybe 16 I can't remember.) The one thing I do know you need to watch out for, is they seem to be rough on transformers.

Those old Fender Supers will cope with a 4 ohm load without raising a sweat. And transformers aren't what they tax; it's power tubes and that's really just because you are pushing them harder - and that's the whole point of using one.
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 29, 2014,