what tubes would you recommend?
what speakers would you recommend?
i know the amp is 40watts but if i throw a 12' 50watts speaker will my amp get louder?
im seeking upgrades to get a blues/funk/jazz tone... even though it already does that pretty well.

also if this thread is in the wrong place forgive me. hahaha
what's yout budget and location (country)? the location affects what's easily available...

i'm not too familiar with your amp, but as some general information the wattage of the speaker only refers to how much wattage you can put into it before it blows, it doesn't say anything about the loudness. the efficiency/sensitivity (normally given as dB at 1 W/1m) is what affects the loudness. Normally loud speakers are 100dB (or more). It's not quite as simple as that, though, since some companies rate their speakers a bit differently so you can't really compare different companies' speakers by their own ratings (e.g. celestions are normally pretty loud for a given rating, whereas eminence are a bit quieter), and that's before you consider that even the speaker's voicing affects how loud it sounds (a vintage 30 sounds really loud because it's so middy/focussed).

But as a very rough rule of thumb, the sensitivity/efficiency is the spec to look at.

what type of tone(s) are you after? more american or british?

the thread's in the right place, don't worry.
im in america. I'm looking for jazz/blues/funk tones. hendrix, srv tone. i was told jensens and greenback clones would be ideal for what I'm looking for. just so many models.
yeah that's the problem. and it's very hard to try anything that's outside the more common ones without just buying them.

i think hendrix used g12h30s mostly? I could be wrong. and that was with marshalls. srv has used a variety of amps.

g12h30s won't be a high enough wattage, though the creamback version should work (i haven't tried it). WGS also does a higher wattage g12h30, as does (i'm guessing) weber. it might actually be worth considering since it's still pretty british-sounding, but has a lot fewer mids so it's part of the way towards a more american type of tone.

the eminence texas heat might also be worth considering, coming from the other angle- more american-sounding but a little bit more british than a lot of the american type speakers.

jensens would probably also be worth a look. i don't have too much experience with them, but the c10q i got recently has very nice clean tones. I'm guessing one of the 12" vintage ceramic (the "C" models) would be worth a look, but as for which exact one

EDIT: just to clarify, I generally only play at low volumes and I haven't tried anywhere near all the speakers which are available either, so there may well be better options that I haven't thought of (plus as I said, I haven't tried them in your amp).

I've actually found emailing the speaker companies to be pretty helpful. Just put what you wrote here in the thread about what your amp is, the tones you're after, and ask them what they'd recommend.
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 29, 2014,
so you could get the reaper high powers from WGS which are higher wattage clones of the g12h30.

i personally would get the eminence maverick for a 1x12. sure its expensive, but the adjustable feature can let you run your amp WAY harder and get some natural tube response.

it goes from 91 seneitivity (REALLY low) to about 100 (fairly high). average is around 98. SPL level on a speaker makes a HUGE difference on overall volume. it means that at 1 watt of power thats roughly how many decibels it puts out.

it takes 2x the power to percieve a 3x decibel increase in volume. 3 DB is a LOT. so going from a 100 to a 103 DB speaker is the same as diming a 50 and a 100 watt amp!

so 100 up from 98 is significant. that being said, 91 is very quiet. its quiet enough that you can run your amp probably well over 50% master and get those tubes going at the same volume.

if i had a 1x12 i would be all over this technology. that and i think fender deluxes have crap tastic tapers on thier knobs. its a 1 to MAX thing real quick i think. a lot of my friends never really gig with it beyond about 3-4. come on, use some of that power!
Last edited by ikey_ at Oct 29, 2014,
Personally I like the stock speaker in a Blues Deluxe but I also like: Celestion V30, Emi Private Jack or Texas Heat in that amp. I put a Jensen C12K (100w) in my HRD and found no perceived tone difference.

The amp is already loud-ass so you probably won't really need much louder unless you are playing Madison Square Garden. It's a nice amp so just turn it up and wail.

JJ is the goto standard replacement tube if yours are worn out. They are reliable and consistent but don't expect magic SRV tone to come from them. That's what your fingers are for.
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 29, 2014,
its a 1 to MAX thing real quick i think. a lot of my friends never really gig with it beyond about 3-4. come on, use some of that power!

Yea max volume is pretty much at 5...

Personally I like the stock speaker in a Blues Deluxe

You had your amp for a while? Did they ever change stock speaker in those? I feel like mine is really crappy. Might give the V30 a try myself.
^ personally i really wouldn't want a v30 in a fender style amp. it just doesn't really suit it, if you ask me. it'll kill your sparkly/blackfacey cleans.

Quote by ikey_

i personally would get the eminence maverick for a 1x12. sure its expensive, but the adjustable feature can let you run your amp WAY harder and get some natural tube response.

it goes from 91 seneitivity (REALLY low) to about 100 (fairly high). average is around 98. SPL level on a speaker makes a HUGE difference on overall volume. it means that at 1 watt of power thats roughly how many decibels it puts out.

it takes 2x the power to percieve a 3x decibel increase in volume. 3 DB is a LOT. so going from a 100 to a 103 DB speaker is the same as diming a 50 and a 100 watt amp!

so 100 up from 98 is significant. that being said, 91 is very quiet. its quiet enough that you can run your amp probably well over 50% master and get those tubes going at the same volume.

if i had a 1x12 i would be all over this technology. that and i think fender deluxes have crap tastic tapers on thier knobs. its a 1 to MAX thing real quick i think. a lot of my friends never really gig with it beyond about 3-4. come on, use some of that power!

It should be a pretty big difference (I haven't tried the maverick, but i have a wee 6" jensen which is ~90dB), but don't expect it to drop it down to bedroom level, either. That 6" jensen i have is in a fame tube 5 (glorified champion 600) which is only 5 watts, and it doesn't really drop the volume low enough that it's really totally comfortable in a small room.

assuming the maverick is similar, it's going to help, but it's not an attenuator or power scaling either.
Quote by Taz9
Yea max volume is pretty much at 5...

You had your amp for a while? Did they ever change stock speaker in those? I feel like mine is really crappy. Might give the V30 a try myself.

I gigged with the Fender HRD for 5 years mostly with the stock speaker. A hundred gigs or so probably. It was a Fender design Eminence with gold label and it was really pretty good in comparison. I tried several other speakers that I listed and all were good but no rainbow unicorns came shooting out of the grill cloth.

In most cases, unless the thing is damaged, I think our disappointment with speaker tone is often not a speaker tone problem. More of a user interface problem. I know a dozen players who still gig all the time with a Blues Deluxe w stock speaker and sound badass. Even Larry Carlton uses em sometimes.
I use a Fender flavored 1x12 combo amp that has a Greenback and I love the tone I get. I'm usually not a big fan of the Greenback, its usually too crispy to my ears, but it works great for me in my Blackface loaded RM. For tubes I'd say buy a couple modern and a couple vintage preamp tubes, maybe a 12at7 in there too, and just experiment with different combinations.
Quote by Cajundaddy
I gigged with the Fender HRD for 5 years mostly with the stock speaker. A hundred gigs or so probably. It was a Fender design Eminence with gold label and it was really pretty good in comparison. I tried several other speakers that I listed and all were good but no rainbow unicorns came shooting out of the grill cloth.

In most cases, unless the thing is damaged, I think our disappointment with speaker tone is often not a speaker tone problem. More of a user interface problem. I know a dozen players who still gig all the time with a Blues Deluxe w stock speaker and sound badass. Even Larry Carlton uses em sometimes.

Isn't the speaker in those fenders meant to be very closely based on an eminence legend 1258? If so (and assuming it's not a crappier, cheaper OEM version) then that's a pretty nice speaker.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Isn't the speaker in those fenders meant to be very closely based on an eminence legend 1258? If so (and assuming it's not a crappier, cheaper OEM version) then that's a pretty nice speaker.

I think this is true but never pursued all the dirty details. After lots of speaker swapping, I decided the stocker wasn't half bad. YMMV
Quote by ikey_

You've never used one, I can tell. These things give you only about 6-9 dB of volume drop, and you definitely have to have an open back amp to use them. Pretty much not worth it.

Quote by ikey_

3 dB is not a lot. It's just barely perceptible. Most people can't tell if you're diming a 50W amp or a 100W amp. Hardly worth an exclamation point...

Quote by ikey_
if i had a 1x12 i would be all over this technology.

Okay, thanks -- that confirms that you've never actually used one.

If you're really interested in speaker efficiency technology, check out the Fluxtone speakers http://fluxtonespeakers.com/ -- while the Eminence speakers use a passive setup on their speaker, which usually gives perhaps a 6 dB change, the Fluxtone speakers allow up to a 25 dB change using an active technology (AC powered electromagnet) that can be installed in a closed-back cabinet and controlled from outside it. That 25 dB is a LOT more significant; it can turn your 50W amp into the equivalent of about 1/4 W.

FWIW, you can buy a cheap speaker like the Celestion Rocket 50's (they show up in a lot of cheaper 4x12s) that are maybe 95 dB efficient and that sound just about as loud as the Eminence variables turned all the way down (they claim 91 dB but don't really make it).
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 6, 2014,
Quote by jon_six
what tubes would you recommend?
what speakers would you recommend?
i know the amp is 40watts but if i throw a 12' 50watts speaker will my amp get louder?
im seeking upgrades to get a blues/funk/jazz tone... even though it already does that pretty well.

If your tubes are working fine, leave them alone. If you NEED new tubes because the old ones are pooping out, check out tube depot dot com or eurotubes dot com for replacements. Don't toss money at tubes because you think they'll change your amp for you.

Higher wattage-rated speakers can accept more power, but your amp can't deliver more power, so putting a different speaker in based on wattage rating isn't going to change anything. Nor will simply replacing the speaker give you more blues/funk/jazz tone. For that you're going to have to rely on the EQ controls on your amp, those on your guitar, and those on whatever pedals you might own.
JJ tubes all around. Maybe a JAN GE/Phillips 5751 and an old RCA 12ax7 if you don't mind spending a few extra bucks.

Speaker Eminence Cannabis Rex
Quote by Cajundaddy
I think this is true but never pursued all the dirty details. After lots of speaker swapping, I decided the stocker wasn't half bad. YMMV

Yeah, I haven't investigated much either. I haven't tried them much but I have a legend 1258 and it's pretty nice.

Quote by dspellman
Nor will simply replacing the speaker give you more blues/funk/jazz tone. For that you're going to have to rely on the EQ controls on your amp, those on your guitar, and those on whatever pedals you might own.

It will if the current speaker is completely unsuitable for that type of tone. I don't think that's the case here, though (assuming the stock one is, at least more or less, a 1258).