Hey there! I'm looking for a metal amp with a decent pair of balls( THAT ISN'T A 5150 or 6505 or rectifier please) in the $800 range. I would go up to 1k if I really need to. I play in drop A# and the band i'm in is currently starting to write in drop G# as well. I need something that can handle the low tunings as well as provide me with something that's a little different than the generic 5150 or rectifier sound everyone in this genre has. I have my eyes on a Randall Diavlo RD100h if anyone knows anything about it, but I'd like to see what else is out there. I don't mind buying used.

P.S. Framus Dragon was another amp I really liked but sadly they're hard to come by. Also if it helps, I play out of a custom Omega cab loaded with an Eminence Swamp Thang and Wizard speakers.
Last edited by nor.omar.9 at Oct 29, 2014,
Sorry didn't see the $ sign they must cost more over in the states, same with mesa here.
How about EVH,Laney, Carvin or even Orange.
I've been interested in getting an Egnater Vengeance for heavy tones, you should check them out. Looks like they're selling for 600-700 bucks used.
In that price range, the Laboga Beast I got last June is really great. Its drive channel is heavy and thick, with a good definition, so I don't use any drive pedal (I just thicken the sound with a combination of delay and chorus).

- It's a tube amp, which is great for this price.
- It has a master volume, so that you can control the overall volume without changing the quality of the saturation.
- It has a switch between 15W and 30W, 15W being very nice for home use and 30W fine for rehearsal.
- It has an effect loop.
- You can disconnect the preamp from the speaker and redirect it to an external speaker.

The clean channel is quite good, and very easy to adapt to your needs because it reacts very well to pedals. I got very nice clean sounds (for example for the intro of On the backs of Angels by Dream Theater) with a combination of delay and light flanger.
You should look at Hughes & Kettner and Krank amps.

Maybe the Peavey XXX / 3120 too.
Definitely check out that Rev+ Robb posted. It may need an overdrive, but so will most things.

I'll +1 the SL-X as well, another great one. I've heard the Fireball 60 has problems cutting in a mix, may want to be cautious with that one. The Vengeance is also a good grab, very tight amp, it would work well for drop tunings.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Definitely check out that Rev+ Robb posted. It may need an overdrive, but so will most things.

I'll +1 the SL-X as well, another great one. I've heard the Fireball 60 has problems cutting in a mix, may want to be cautious with that one. The Vengeance is also a good grab, very tight amp, it would work well for drop tunings.

I have an Egnater Vengeance, and it is a very good amp; but I also have an engl powerball and i prefer that over the vengeance. Ive recorded plenty with the powerball and it sits in the mix fine. The few times Ive jammed with others, I didnt have a problem, but Im also careful with my bass usage, and dial in a lot of mids on the amp.

The Vengeance in mid cut mode will get lost in the mix just as much as the fireball or powerball will if you dont use enough mids or too much gain on them. Just my two cents