This is probably in the wrong thread, so please don't go ape shit and start jumping on me.

Soon I am getting together with my newly formed band to practice, however we all live 20-57 minutes away, unless me and the bassist catch a train, however, I'm really worried about getting the guitar stolen (I'm certain that I will not be damaged on the ride, as the train is hardly bumpy).

I've already sorted out protecting the strings and other stuff, it's the only problem is this paranoia. I've been on this line countless times before, and I have seen shady people, which is likely what is putting me off.

Does anyone else bring their guitars on trains?
(Especially in NSW?)
Carry it in a bag with a really cheap brand written on it. And throw some shit graffiti on it so it looks like you have no respect for it.
Quote by Cathbard
Carry it in a bag with a really cheap brand written on it. And throw some shit graffiti on it so it looks like you have no respect for it.

problem solved thanks
Honestly, someone willing to mug you for your guitar after you get off the train is unlikely to be an expert in instruments- pros hit houses, clubs and other places where instruments are likely to be stored. They're going to take it to a pawn shop and probably get 1/10th or less of the actual value of whatever it is, and be happy with that.

IOW, someone like that will target you regardless of the name on the case.

You can take steps to enhance recovery, though. Make sure you have your gear's brand, model and serial numbers listed someplace, and get some kind of electronic tracking device for it like these:

http://micro-trax.com/microdots/

Can you carry something like mace/pepper spray/teasers where you are?
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 30, 2014,
You could get a hard case then you wouldn't need mace / pepper spray etc.

Just hit them with the guitar case!
Quote by dannyalcatraz

No.

And all I mean is to make it look like it's not worth anything. Them being an expert doesn't enter into it. If it looks cheap and nasty they won't look twice.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

this is australia. they'd confiscate our fists if they could.
Quote by Cathbard

And all I mean is to make it look like it's not worth anything. Them being an expert doesn't enter into it. If it looks cheap and nasty they won't look twice.

My point is that camouflage is ineffective in this instance. Muggers won't care what it looks like- it is an instrument case, and instruments are pawnable/sellable.

They'll take it and sell it for $20. If they get more, it will be a bonus.
Far less likely than if it has Fender written all over it though.

As for weapons, they can't ban a walking stick. This is what I made and carry when I think I may need to defend myself. "It aint a weapon, it's a walking stick and I've got a dicky knee that can go on me at any time from an old motorbike injury occifer."

I can make one for you if you want one. $50 plus postage. I use good wood. That one is Osage Orange but I usually make them out of redgum and ironbark.
It's actually a really comfortable walking stick to use too. A ball pean hammer makes a very comfortable handle. I hand turn the shaft on my lathe. There's about $25 worth of materials, give or take. So at $50 it's a bit of a steal really. Takes quite a while to turn up something that big. And then I have to hand work the part that fits into the hammer head. It all takes quite a bit of time to do.
I'll bet it's comfy. Pretty soothing for the mind, too.

There is something about a simple and elegant solution well-executed that just makes me smile.
You'd be surprised how often it comes in handy as a tool too. You know the old saying, "when all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." I used mine to destroy a wasp nest just yesterday.
Hmmm...perhaps what the OP needs is a secondary instrument: rhythm sticks.

Only not the normal 8" kind, a pair of custom made 32" long ones....which, by way of coincidence, is the exact same length as an escrima fighting stick.
Or one of those huge flutes like David Carradine plays in Kill Bill. Learn how to use a bo and you'd be pretty dangerous with a piece of bamboo that size.

A 3ft ball pean hammer looks a lot more intimidating though. Would you take on somebody carrying that^^^ with anything less than a gun? You'd have to pretty brave and/or stupid, I'd think. It's essentially a medieval mace.
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 31, 2014,