I was talking with a mate a few weeks ago about a set of Seymour Duncans I just put in my Epiphone Les Paul and we were discussing various wiring options.

From here came the idea of instead of having the coil tap on a push-pull pot, why not wire it to its own pot so I could "dial down" the humbucker sound and get somewhere between the full humbucker and single coil sounds if I wanted to experiment.

Is there any reason that this wouldn't work? I assume it'd be simple enough to wire.. I'm looking at putting this on the tone knob as I never use the thing..
Seymour Duncan has something similar called a spin-a-split. It is a "balance" control for the coils, basically. There's a diagram for it on their website. I tried it for a while. Only ever used one extreme or the other.

What you seem to be talking about is just a volume control for only one of the coils. Either way, if it were me, I'd probably only use the extremes.
Quote by Invader Jim
Seymour Duncan has something similar called a spin-a-split. It is a "balance" control for the coils, basically. There's a diagram for it on their website. I tried it for a while. Only ever used one extreme or the other.

What you seem to be talking about is just a volume control for only one of the coils. Either way, if it were me, I'd probably only use the extremes.

That looks like exactly what I wanted to do! Nice one man, thanks!

I know extremes will be the most frequently used settings, but I quite like the idea of just rolling off a little bit of the bucker, could sound pretty cool
This is exactly how a Peavey T-60 is wired. Diming the tone control is 100% single coil, betweeen 10 and 7 dials in more and more humbucker and from 7 to 0 it acts like a regular tone control. You might want to have a look on-line at T-60 diagrams to get an idea of the component values. I'm not familiar with the Seymour Duncan set, so I can't say how similar or different it is. I *will*, say, though that the T-60 setup is awesome and one of my favorite features of my favorite guitar.
Quote by jds2
This is exactly how a Peavey T-60 is wired. Diming the tone control is 100% single coil, betweeen 10 and 7 dials in more and more humbucker and from 7 to 0 it acts like a regular tone control. You might want to have a look on-line at T-60 diagrams to get an idea of the component values. I'm not familiar with the Seymour Duncan set, so I can't say how similar or different it is. I *will*, say, though that the T-60 setup is awesome and one of my favorite features of my favorite guitar.

My Horizon is wired that way as well (can't believe I forgot about it here). The catch is that for best response you need S-taper tone pots (I think W is the modern equivalent). But it is a pretty awesome and highly usable setup. I just don't like the Horizon's rails in humbucker mode.

There's a diagram of the Horizon on my profile, TS.
Quote by Invader Jim
Only ever used one extreme or the other.

Same here. And it makes it a lot more awkward to access those extremes (as it takes longer, and is more awkward, to rotate a pot than it is to flick a switch).

Mine wasn't the duncan one, it just came stock on an eggle I have.
Washburn has / had some kind of unusual coil split technology on some of their guitars (WI64?), cannot recall if it was controlled by knob or not... may not be related, I don't know.

Ken
^ It was maybe series to parallel? I think it was on a knob. Not certain, though.