Crybaby Classic
5 29%
CAE MC-404
2 12%
Other
10 59%
Voters: 17.
Page 1 of 2
So there are a ton of threads on this, but most of them are like from 2011, and even 2009. So I would like some up-to-date advice please.

I've read A LOT about all the possible wahs I could get, and it broke down to either the CAE MC-404, or the Crybaby Classic.

Based on the videos I've seen for both, the CAE is very versatile, but I have this feeling that it's kinda lacking compared with the Classic. The Classic just sounds more.. natural?

Advice?
Advice depends on what sounds do you wanna achieve.

What sounds do you wanna achieve, TS?
Please post songs for reference.

Blindly having to choose between them two, I'd take the CAE hands down.
Quote by Spambot_2
Advice depends on what sounds do you wanna achieve.

What sounds do you wanna achieve, TS?
Please post songs for reference.

Blindly having to choose between them two, I'd take the CAE hands down.

Well, it mainly stems from two songs. And this is going to seem very silly, but these songs are the reason I decided to get a wah in the first place. When I heard the parts that have wah in these two songs, it just made me *need* to get a wah pedal.

The solo in Black Label Society - Angel of Mercy, and the funky part in the background in Tenacious D - Kielbasa.

Thing is, I don't want to restrict myself to just achieving those two sounds. I want a similar sound that can incorporate both, and more, as my playing and tastes evolve.
Another one to check out is the Morley Bad Horsie 2. I've heard some really good stuff about it, but I haven't tried it out myself.
Quote by AWACS
Another one to check out is the Morley Bad Horsie 2. I've heard some really good stuff about it, but I haven't tried it out myself.

I used a crybaby for years and switched to a BH2 last year and haven't looked back. Excellent sounding wah in both standard and contour modes (which of course you can adjust the parameters to your liking). It may not be on your initial radar of choices TS but check it out as well.
Check out this guy's site. He has pedals for sale that are modded(by him). I'm going to send him my crybaby for the "works" mod, but you save money buying one of his if you don't already have one. Modest Mike's Mods. The pedals that have true bypass and or fasel inductors from the factory are pretty expensive.
+1 for the Morley Bad Horsie 2

I use a Crybaby for years and switched to the Morley a few yrs ago and it is better in every way. Another nice thing about it is, it is 2 wahs in 1 and both are useable by simply pressing the button with your foot. Another nice feature is there is no switch to press to turn it on, it is pressure activated. Bought mine for $60 used
I haven't tried the classic.

the CAE one is very versatile, as you said. But under my foot (it's entirely possible you can adjust it and I haven't bothered ) it doesn't feel quite as natural in its sweep/tone as my bog standard crybaby. though it does sound a fair bit better. and doesn't have half-assed bypass (though the crybaby classic seems to be true bypass).

EDIT: Ok so listening to those two songs, the zakk one sounds more or less like a crybaby. I'm guessing either the CAE or the crybaby classic would do it (since the yellow fasel in the CAE seems to be more or less the "crybaby" setting).

the tenacious D one sounds more like a morley to me, maybe. I haven't tried a morley in ages, though, that's just based on clips I've been listening to recently (since I've been considering one of the mini morleys myself).

that's no help, lol. if you need a range of tones, though, the CAE one is probably going to be more versatile. the 535Q is meant to be good too (from the versatility standpoint I mean), but I haven't tried it.
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 30, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't tried the classic.

the CAE one is very versatile, as you said. But under my foot (it's entirely possible you can adjust it and I haven't bothered ) it doesn't feel quite as natural in its sweep/tone as my bog standard crybaby. though it does sound a fair bit better. and doesn't have half-assed bypass (though the crybaby classic seems to be true bypass).

EDIT: Ok so listening to those two songs, the zakk one sounds more or less like a crybaby. I'm guessing either the CAE or the crybaby classic would do it (since the yellow fasel in the CAE seems to be more or less the "crybaby" setting).

the tenacious D one sounds more like a morley to me, maybe. I haven't tried a morley in ages, though, that's just based on clips I've been listening to recently (since I've been considering one of the mini morleys myself).

that's no help, lol. if you need a range of tones, though, the CAE one is probably going to be more versatile. the 535Q is meant to be good too (from the versatility standpoint I mean), but I haven't tried it.

I'm scared of getting the CAE and discovering later on that it's pretty close to either of those sounds, but not really good enough in either way lol. That's the feel I'm getting from watching videos of people demoing it all day. It also could be the way they're setting it up? Do you think I could get a tone close to zakk's on that particular song using a Morley?

I checked out a couple of demo vids for the Bad Horsie 2, and yes it does indeed sound pretty good. I'm not sure if it's for me though, sounds kinda extra "trebley".

I'm more into the thicker, fatter wah sound. One of the reasons I excluded the Vox V847. But still, I'm not sure this is the case with the BH2. It sounds pretty awesome, but I'm torn between it and the CAE..
Last edited by cool3omar at Oct 30, 2014,
You can adjust the contour of the wah with the knob on top. press the button and it is a standard sounding wah. It works well with clean amps and even high-gain which the crybaby doesn't do very well. And you can adjust the signal level which is very nice.

And they are only $60ish used
I like the Morley as well for reason that as soon as you step on the pedal it is on...but wahs to me are not that important honestly so an original crybaby will probably be just as good.
Actually the reason I prefer the BH2 over my old crybaby and made the switch is that it sounds thicker and warmer in general. From the ones I've tried, Morleys don't have the piercing high end that crybabys can have.
Quote by JBailey23
Actually the reason I prefer the BH2 over my old crybaby and made the switch is that it sounds thicker and warmer in general. From the ones I've tried, Morleys don't have the piercing high end that crybabys can have.

Then it's probably the videos I've been watching.. I can't seem to find the Morley or the CAE in any store so I can't really try them out. :/ I'm starting to lean towards the BH2 though.. Still haven't made a decision.
Quote by cool3omar
I'm scared of getting the CAE and discovering later on that it's pretty close to either of those sounds, but not really good enough in either way lol. That's the feel I'm getting from watching videos of people demoing it all day. It also could be the way they're setting it up? Do you think I could get a tone close to zakk's on that particular song using a Morley?

I checked out a couple of demo vids for the Bad Horsie 2, and yes it does indeed sound pretty good. I'm not sure if it's for me though, sounds kinda extra "trebley".

I'm more into the thicker, fatter wah sound. One of the reasons I excluded the Vox V847. But still, I'm not sure this is the case with the BH2. It sounds pretty awesome, but I'm torn between it and the CAE..

Yeah, i know the problem. it's very hard when you can't try something first (and even when you can, that doesn't guarantee you still won't pick wrongly )

I have very little experience with the morleys (and I haven't tried either of the bad horsies), so I can't comment on that.

I also haven't tried the crybaby classic- i know compared to the bog standard crybaby, the CAE (using the yellow inductor) sounds like a "better" crybaby. Whether it would sound better than the classic, I don't know (it may well sound similar if the inductor is the same and the circuit is, but I'm not sure how close they are).

The CAE definitely does a fatter/warmer/more modern wah tone using the red inductor.

I guess, the problem (as you're well aware) is that, on paper, the CAE is what you want. It does (more or less) the crybaby thing, and also does a more modern, warmer type of wah tone (which you also want). Problem is, something working on paper is no guarantee that you'll actually like it in practice.

EDIT: There are internal trim pots on the CAE, so you can definitely tweak it to change how it sounds. If it sounded different from the crybaby classic in vids you watched, in other words, it's entirely possible that it could be tweaked to be closer to that sound and maybe they had it set weirdly in the vids.

You couldn't test that in a shop either, though. The way mine were set out of the box seemed very much to accentuate the differences between the two modes, whereas I found it more practical to make the differences a bit less stark. Don't get me wrong, they're still pretty obviously different, but it's a much more real world/useful difference in tone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you into the CAE. As I said already, I'm not 100% sold on it myself and I have one.
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 31, 2014,
greatly prefer Morley's to other wahs I've tried over the years. thye take a little getting used to with the on off button but this allows you to preset the way for a point which is great for many lead sounds.
I'm a Morley man, myself. I used a Morley Power Wah for many years but recently switched to a Morley Maverick Mini Wah. The Maverick is basically a Bad Horsie in a smaller, pedalboard friendly package. If you are using a lot of distortion I can highly recommend it, even if you aren't using much distortion it's still a damn fine pedal.
^ I think I asked you before, but did you ever try the standard morley mini wah?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I think I asked you before, but did you ever try the standard morley mini wah?

No. It's supposed to be a PWA isn't it? If it's as close to a PWA as the Maverick is to the Bad Horsey then it would be a good thing - if a PWA is what you want. For lower gain stuff I'd probably prefer the PWA apart from it's size. But the difference isn't that huge really. The main thing is the switchless design of the BH/Maverick. With my punk band I wanted a switchless one. When I was playing covers, I liked the switch on the side so I could park the pedal. With my new band I wanted to be able to just jump on the treadle to activate it.
^ Yeah I've come across the AMT one in my online research, I haven't tried it, though (as usual)

Quote by Cathbard
No. It's supposed to be a PWA isn't it? If it's as close to a PWA as the Maverick is to the Bad Horsey then it would be a good thing - if a PWA is what you want. For lower gain stuff I'd probably prefer the PWA apart from it's size. But the difference isn't that huge really. The main thing is the switchless design of the BH/Maverick. With my punk band I wanted a switchless one. When I was playing covers, I liked the switch on the side so I could park the pedal. With my new band I wanted to be able to just jump on the treadle to activate it.

Thanks. I'm guessing it's a PWA, but I dunno for sure

And yeah the switch seems to be the big difference. the mini wah also has a volume control, the maverick doesn't seem to.

for some reason I can't find the maverick at a decent price in europe, though. it seems to be rare for some reason, though, so thomann etc. don't seem to stock it. But the price I've found for the mini wah is ~£55, while the maverick is about £100. On the big american sites like prymaxe, there's only about $20 difference. WTF?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah, i know the problem. it's very hard when you can't try something first (and even when you can, that doesn't guarantee you still won't pick wrongly )

I have very little experience with the morleys (and I haven't tried either of the bad horsies), so I can't comment on that.

I also haven't tried the crybaby classic- i know compared to the bog standard crybaby, the CAE (using the yellow inductor) sounds like a "better" crybaby. Whether it would sound better than the classic, I don't know (it may well sound similar if the inductor is the same and the circuit is, but I'm not sure how close they are).

The CAE definitely does a fatter/warmer/more modern wah tone using the red inductor.

I guess, the problem (as you're well aware) is that, on paper, the CAE is what you want. It does (more or less) the crybaby thing, and also does a more modern, warmer type of wah tone (which you also want). Problem is, something working on paper is no guarantee that you'll actually like it in practice.

EDIT: There are internal trim pots on the CAE, so you can definitely tweak it to change how it sounds. If it sounded different from the crybaby classic in vids you watched, in other words, it's entirely possible that it could be tweaked to be closer to that sound and maybe they had it set weirdly in the vids.

You couldn't test that in a shop either, though. The way mine were set out of the box seemed very much to accentuate the differences between the two modes, whereas I found it more practical to make the differences a bit less stark. Don't get me wrong, they're still pretty obviously different, but it's a much more real world/useful difference in tone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you into the CAE. As I said already, I'm not 100% sold on it myself and I have one.

This is too true. I'm in this position almost always.

I don't know, I'm actually starting to lean towards the BH2; I'm getting the feeling that it has slightly more punch to it's sound (and I guess that's what I'm looking for? ). The CAE seems to sound great but a little bland? Did you manage to tweak yours in a way that sounded close to the Morley? I'm still considering the CAE because the fact that it has the two fasel inductors seems to be a huge plus..

Watched that AMT vid, wasn't really fond of the sound tbh..

Seems to be more votes racking up for the Crybaby Classic in the poll.. Tbh when I first made this thread it was a real contender, but after checking out all these other pedals, the Classic's lack of versatility is really off putting.
^ Yeah I'm normally in that position too

I'm not sure about the morley, as I said, I don't have much experience with them. As you can tell from my posts in this thread, I'm sort of half-considering getting one of the mini morleys to see what it's like, but this is me so when I actually get round to it is another thing

And yeah that's the problem with the CAE. On paper, it seems great. It even sounds pretty great. But just the feel in use... there's something I'm not 100% gelling with.

I need to try it again to give it a good workout, though. And the tweaking trimpots being internal makes it a pain to tweak it. I'd rather have internal trims than nothing, I suppose, but I'd far rather have external controls.

I'd also be wary of poll votes- it lets people vote anonymously. You dunno if they know what they're talking about, etc. etc. At least with people posting you can read the posts to see if they sound half sensible or not.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Yeah I've come across the AMT one in my online research, I haven't tried it, though (as usual)

Thanks. I'm guessing it's a PWA, but I dunno for sure

And yeah the switch seems to be the big difference. the mini wah also has a volume control, the maverick doesn't seem to.

for some reason I can't find the maverick at a decent price in europe, though. it seems to be rare for some reason, though, so thomann etc. don't seem to stock it. But the price I've found for the mini wah is ~£55, while the maverick is about £100. On the big american sites like prymaxe, there's only about $20 difference. WTF?
No, the Maverick doesn't do volume, it's just a wah pedal. I didn't need a volume pedal. The Maverick lives on my punk board (Pitchblack, Timmy, Maverick). If I'm playing other stuff, I use my GT-100.
Try ebay, that's where I got mine.
yeah if i'm stuck i'll just get one from the US, but it's a lot handier and quicker to get one from here (or thomann) if the price is similar

and yeah there's a morley wah/volume pedal as well. I didn't mean that one, i just meant the bog standard mini wah has a volume/level knob on it so you can control the level of the wah.

I think the wah/volume version would annoy me, if you don't leave it in the toe-down position when you turn the wah off you're not at full volume. that'd be annoying.
It's a very basic pedal. There are some trimpots inside to adjust a few things but I liked it the way it came out of the box. It's perfect for what I need.

The GT-100 switches between volume and wah with a toe down switch. That gets around the problem you said. When you switch it, it is always toe down.
^You could use the gt100 wah to act like the morley wah using an assign such that on full heel position the wah is off & when moved a little bit it turns on.

With the CAE you need to first adjust the internal gain trimpot, the one i tried had it set high. I wish they had added the Q controls on the outside, once you start adjusting those you end up adjusting them everyday which is a pain. You could mod it & add/extend the Q controls to be outside but I'm not sure if theirs boards have strong traces or not, its sorta expensive wah to bother trying stuff out on it. Adjusting the teeth on the pot can help too at times if there's space/turn left in there at the extremes.

Some of the amt stuff was crap, i've heard of reliabiity & noise issues before. This one though is among the few they make that is solid. The option to pick three voicings makes it quite versatile which is why i like it, dont have to deal with fiddling around with internal trim.

The 535q wah is still a good option, modding it to truebypass is easy too. The wilson wahs are supposedly very good sounding, theres the rippah q 12 positions wah from him. Same price as the cae new i think. RMC also has some fat sounding versatile wahs to check out.
Quote by Cathbard
It's a very basic pedal. There are some trimpots inside to adjust a few things but I liked it the way it came out of the box. It's perfect for what I need.

Oh ok, I didn't realise it had internal controls. I prefer external (internal tends to end up "set and forget", and I find even at the "set" phase I end up settling for "close enough" whereas with external you can get it exactly right), but internal is better than nothing.

How is the buffer in it? Morley calls it a "true tone" buffer, so I'm hoping it's decent Of course, no-one in marketing ever made overoptimistic claims about quality...

Quote by steven_ferns84

With the CAE you need to first adjust the internal gain trimpot, the one i tried had it set high. I wish they had added the Q controls on the outside, once you start adjusting those you end up adjusting them everyday which is a pain. You could mod it & add/extend the Q controls to be outside but I'm not sure if theirs boards have strong traces or not, its sorta expensive wah to bother trying stuff out on it. Adjusting the teeth on the pot can help too at times if there's space/turn left in there at the extremes.

Some of the amt stuff was crap, i've heard of reliabiity & noise issues before. This one though is among the few they make that is solid. The option to pick three voicings makes it quite versatile which is why i like it, dont have to deal with fiddling around with internal trim.

Yeah I agree, the internal controls are a pain. As I said above, I just tried to get close enough and then left them, but I can't help feeling having external controls would let you adjust it more on the fly to get bang-on. mine was set weirdly out of the box as well- IIRC the gain was actually pretty low on mine, I think to accentuate how useful the boost was. I definitely got the feeling mine was adjusted to make it sell in the shop, rather than to actually be useful in a real-world situation.

the other thing i find slightly weird about mine is that it seems to feel more natural under the foot with the boost engaged. which is kind of annoying, it sort of defeats the benefit of the boost as a separate effect if you have to leave it on all the time.

I haven't tried the amt but I agree that having that control externally (assuming it sounds good, lol) would be handy.
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 4, 2014,
the buffers on Morley pedals are really good. it's the only buffered pedal on my board and no noticeable tone suckage.
excellent, thanks I figured when they made such a big deal about it it would probably be one of the good ones (like visual sound), but you never know with marketing
Yeah the buffer is good. It's the only bufferred pedal I've got on my board. I stick it right up front and I notice no tone suckage.
thanks. that's another one of the reasons why i'm considering it, it'll let me get a buffer right at the front (more or less) of the chain without having to waste space on another pedal to do that.

I need to give the CAE another good try though before I buy anything. Maybe I'll decide I like it just fine.
Contrary to convention, my tuner (Pitchblack) is last on my board. Well, the only other two pedals I have on there are the Morley and my Timmy. I just turn off the Timmy when I'm tuning. I put it last so it mutes better. I use it as a mute switch far more often than as a tuner. And tbh, I use the Morley as a buffer far more than I use it as a wah. The Morley doesn't seem to mind being driven hard by my Timmy either.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ic7Tf-wBd6R0J5aHBfMG5mMzQ/view?usp=sharing
^ LOL

I've been using my soul food more as a buffer than as a boost/OD so far

nice clip too, the wah sounds very good there (very clear) and tight playing all round there
That's actually before the Timmy. I have tried it after the Timmy and it still sounded good. But I placed it first to get its buffer up front.
yeah i would probably have it up front as well. but it's nice to know it works both ways.
This is my punk board that I was using there:

My old Morley PWA was almost as big as that by itself.
Page 1 of 2