Why do people say that Kirk Hammett is overrated? I am just a beginner at playing guitar so I can't really have an opinion about this or it would not matter. What's wrong with his guitar playing and why do people say that he's not that good or whatever?
Is it because of the "Embarassing blunder" video on Youtube or what?
I suppose as a species we are collectively cursed with the temptation to compare and make subjective judgments. I'm not all that familiar with Mr. Hammell's work, but as a general rule I try to let artists regardless of what their medium is have the freedom to express their art however they see fit. If it's not my cup of tea, that's fine. No need to take anyone down a peg just because it doesn't ring any of my bells.

But that's just me.
I think he's good. It's also popular to say people or overrated. People are douche's, so w/e
He's in one of the world's most successful bands ever. There was a time when he was never off the front cover of guitar magazines.

However, there are guitarists who are more virtuosic. And Kirk's been at it a long time. People get tired. People sometimes get embarrassed about their childhood heroes. Kirk can be lazy on record and sloppy live. Some say he's too heavy on the wah. Also, since the 80s, I've noticed that Metallica has a strange ability to annoy some people. Maybe that's part of it. And maybe that's part of why I like them.

I disagree about him being overrated*. It's obvious that there are better players out there, but there's something about his note choices that I really like. His best leads are among my all-time favourites in metal and rock. I'll take 'Disposable Heroes', 'Master of Puppets', 'The Unforgiven', or 'The Day That Never Comes' over most stuff.

* I'm not interested in arguing about what "overrated" means.
Last edited by Jehannum at Oct 30, 2014,
Some just don't like his playing. And he has gotten alot of exposure so more and more people have heard of him. I'm pretty sure if you were to switch out Kirk and put in another guitarist you'd still get people who say the same. Everyone has different tastes.
Because he get's a lot of praise for playing solo's that aren't all that interesting simply because Metallica are a big band in the public eye. Lot's of Pentatonic runs and wah. It get's pretty boring quite quickly.
Because they don't like him, they need to find a way to justify not liking him, and they want to convince other people that he's bad so that they can firmly believe their own opinion is correct.

That's it.
Quote by Himynameisben95
Because they don't like him, they need to find a way to justify not liking him, and they want to convince other people that he's bad so that they can firmly believe their own opinion is correct.

That's it.

I don't think you understand how opinions work.
Quote by Jehannum
He's in one of the world's most successful bands ever. There was a time when he was never off the front cover of guitar magazines.

However, there are guitarists who are more virtuosic. And Kirk's been at it a long time. People get tired. People sometimes get embarrassed about their childhood heroes. Kirk can be lazy on record and sloppy live. Some say he's too heavy on the wah. Also, since the 80s, I've noticed that Metallica has a strange ability to annoy some people. Maybe that's part of it. And maybe that's part of why I like them.

I disagree about him being overrated*. It's obvious that there are better players out there, but there's something about his note choices that I really like. His best leads are among my all-time favourites in metal and rock. I'll take 'Disposable Heroes', 'Master of Puppets', 'The Unforgiven', or 'The Day That Never Comes' over most stuff.

* I'm not interested in arguing about what "overrated" means.

Well I was going to say something but this hits the nail on the head. Of all things this is the most logical.
Quote by ChemicalFire
I don't think you understand how opinions work.

I understand exactly how opinions work, and calling someone overrated is just an easy way of validating your own opinion to others
Validating opinions is a good thing to do though; being able to explain why you think things is a great way of considering music. Over-rated isn't a validation though, it's an opinion statement in itself.

My original post would be a good example of validating that opinion.
it really shouldn't matter, if you dig him then don't worry what others say, if you don't then that's fine too.
He's well known and plays in the biggest metal band in the world so people claimed he was the best guitarist while he isn't... technically. Plus he ****s up a lot when playing live and has fallen in love with a ****up masking wah effect.

For the record I don't think he's overrated and I like to play his solos.
The real issue, I think, is the serious lack of musicianship in popular music today. Since there is only a few really impressive players, who's music is considered relevant, they are going to be "over-rated".
I don't think guitar virtuosity is becoming a lost art, I think the industry is upside down. Phony pop stars must be more profitable than genuine talent. I'd bet that there is some extremely good young players out there that the world will never know about.
Anyone that cares who the "best guitar player" is is missing the point of playing an instrument entirely.

If you like Kirk, good for you; If you don't, good for you.
How can someone whos been playing in one of the most successful bands ever be overrated? He may not be the most technical guitarist ever but he's doing much better than anyone in this forum section I would imagine. Have to respect him for that at least.
I think most people don't like him because after the black album he always solo'd with a wah. The sound got a bit old.

I reckon he's an amazing guitarist. Sometimes I'll listen to a Metallica song just to hear the solo.

Quote by blackone666
Because he has been playing Hendrix solos for 30 years now, that's why

Lol what? His solo style is nothing like Hendrix.
Probably has to do with the fact that he hasn't shown much improvement over the course of his career and uses a wah like it's going out of style.
I'd say Kirk isn't even really overrated anymore. He used to get a lot of recognition in the 90's when he was winning Top 5 Lead Guitarist awards left & right, along with Dimebag, but that was all in the 90's. In fact, he's criticized so often these days, that it's probably more accurate to say that he's underrated. Seems to me that people are quick to point out his shortcomings, yet rarely can acknowledge the point in time when he was truly innovative, tasteful, and very influential.
I think being the lead guitarist for the most popular heavy metal band for around 30 years is impossible to be for a "bad" guitarist. However, among many many popular guitarist out there, Kirk is considered the least when it comes to technique and solo composition (from my point of view). I can't deny he has some amazing solos and also has many difficult solos to play (for an intermediate player like me).

I take it from this perspective: Guitarists for other popular bands like MegadetH, Dream Theater, Black Sabbath, GnR, Savatage, etc... have made a unique name and character that they kept and will remain keeping when they left/leave their bands.... Kirk didn't... If Kirk left MetallicA, I don't believe many ppl will follow him in his new career.. if any
Guitars:___________________________
'12 Gibson 1958 Standard Reissue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 LTD MH-1000FR STBLK
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Amp:__________
Laney IRT Studio

Guitar Effects:_____________________
Boss GT-8 Guitar Multi Effects Processor
Dunlop Original CryBaby Wah
TC Electronic FlashBack Delay
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
JHS Little Black Amp Box
Quote by mockbel
I think being the lead guitarist for the most popular heavy metal band for around 30 years is impossible to be for a "bad" guitarist.

Is being the drummer for the most popular heavy metal band for around 30 years impossible for a bad drummer?