So lately I've been looking for the next guitar id like to get and for the past 2 months I've been obsessed with the Sterling JP70. Many of the artist I listen to use music mans and I think music mans look amazing and I also played a majesty at the ernie ball tent during the last warped tour and it felt absolutely amazing. The JP70 i believe is around $650 and I've been hearing great reviews about it. But there is another guitar I've found that I also may be falling in love with. The Oceanburst Flame Agile Septor 727 RN CP TOM. I love the Oceanburst on it and I also love the price tag of $330. Now I know this isn't a good way to base whether a guitar is good or not, but with the Agile being half the price of the Sterling I start to wonder if the Sterling is better? I'd assume it is better, but is it a huuuge difference between how good each guitar is? Any help is appreciated.

Links:
Agile - http://www.rondomusic.com/septor727rncpoceanburst.html
Sterling - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/sterling-by-music-man-jp70-7-string-electric-guitar
They actually might be about the same. Its really up to what you think you will be more comfortable with. It's kind of hard to judge the Agiles but they are good for the price, however the 27' scale may take some getting used to. Also know if you want a trem or not.
I can't advise you on the Agile, but i can give you my experience with a Sterling JP100D. I ordered it from Guitar Center(they didn't have them in store stock). I did a lot of research on guitars in the ~$800 range and decided to get the SBMM JP100D. I read nothing but great things about it and the overall quality of Sterling guitars.

I received the guitar (had it shipped to my local Guitar Center so the delivery guy wouldn't leave it leaning up against my front door if I wasn't home) and it was beautiful. I got the blue version. Gave it a quick once over in the store and took it home.

There was a little buzzing here and there on the fretboard, but the action was SUPER low on it. I decided to give it a proper setup. I've been playing guitar for 27 years and have been setting up my own guitars for a LONG time. I'm no luthier, but i know what I'm doing.
Long story short, through measurements and observation I realized this guitar had some serious high/low fret issues in a couple of places on the neck. It was bad enough that adjusting the truss rod and action would not remedy it.

I took it back to Guitar Center the next day and left for their "pro"(who is actually locally well respected) to look at. He agreed it would take massive fret work to correct it and suggested we order another one. So we did.

I go pick up the 2nd one a few days later and again, it looks beautiful. I take a little closer look down the fretboard this time before leaving the store. It looks ok~ish but not perfect. I take it home and have the same issue. On top of that, the truss rod tool that comes with the guitar wouldn't even fit the adjustment wheel. I take it back and again, their pro agrees that it's a junk fret job.

These guitars had necks/frets you would expect to find on a $299 guitar, not an $849 guitar. I was really disappointed with it. I REALLY wanted to like this guitar, but the fret work was such horrible quality I couldn't get past it. Also, the floating, non-locking trem did not stay in tune very well, even with very light use. I even used Big Bends Nut Sauce on the nut, bridge, and knife edges of the trem. This part I did read in other reviews about the guitar (and Sterlings in general), so I kind of expected that and was willing to install a Tremol-No on it for tuning stability.

I ended up pulling a Schecter C-1 Classic Antique Amber(neck-through, Duncan JB and 59 pups, beautiful guitar) off the wall and it went home with me. I've been playing it heavily for a month now and love it. As for Sterling, I probably wouldn't consider another one. Remember, a Sterling IS NOT a Music Man, and it shows. That's my take.

Good luck with your decision and purchase. I hope you get what you want on your first buy!
Last edited by TheGroundZero at Oct 30, 2014,
I've been allowing ~ $200 for a PLEK, a fret superglue and really good initial setup on any guitar that's new to me. Most just haven't been showing up with great fretwork these days. There are exceptions, of course -- Carvins seem to come out of the box level, low and in tune.

Schecter pulls the guitars off the boat, sends them over to Burbank and has them set up before they ship them out to the stores. That *may* be why they survive a bit better than some of the other stuff on the GC walls.
Sterling (being a part of Ernie Ball Music Man) goes through the same setup process and care as Ernie Ball guitars before they leave the factory. The JP models have the fastest neck and fretboard I've ever played, just how Petrucci likes it. Haven't played the Sterling model, but the Ernie Ball MM models sound and feel amazing so I'd assume the Sterling does as well.