I've just bought a "Starforce" strat copy off of ebay and am in the process of doing it up.

I tried swapping out the old battered tremolo with a replacement tremolo I had lying around from a previous failed project (say no more) and the replacement's block is too big!

I tried combining new plate with original block and the threads didn't line up.

The block's overall width is 68-69mm and it seems most online are 75mm ish?

Do any of you know where I can find a smaller trem?
Not sure if it has a proper name? perhaps it should now be called the "lesser endowed tremolo"

Thanks
Or you could simply rout out the cavity to accommodate the larger block?
Ask your tech what he'd suggest.
Quote by dspellman
Or you could simply rout out the cavity to accommodate the larger block?
Ask your tech what he'd suggest.

That I didn't think of!
Last edited by 10gaugetele at Oct 30, 2014,
Random question, but this made me think about it. I have somewhat vintage Harmony Strat. I found out years ago when I was bringing it back to life that the neck and bridge were about 5mm narrower than a regular strat (like a fender) is the neck on the Starforce narrow as well?
Random question, but this made me think about it. I have somewhat vintage Harmony Strat.

If you have a Harmony Strat, it's not a true Harmony. They didn't make copy guitars, they designed their own guitar bodies.

I'm guessing you got this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harmony-EST-1892-6-String-Electric-Guitar-/181571623842

Harmony went out of business in about 1975, a Japanese company started making copies with this and other body styles. The headstock, and the "EST 1892" on the logo is the giveaway, and the fact that true Harmony guitars were only made in the USA. When you see a copy guitar and that headstock, or any Harmony with EST 1892 on the logo, it's a Japanese knockoff, using Harmony's name to make money.

This is my Harmony, mine is made in 1966 but identical to this one, single pickup, and a lot more beat up. Still works perfect and sounds good though. Only thing I ever had to replace was a couple of grommets on the tuners and one of the knobs. POts are still original, it's stamped April 1, 1966 on back of the pickguard..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Harmony-Bobkat-Vintage-Guitar-Sunburst-Dearmond-/271651625839

That's one of the headstocks used on solid body guitars. A lot of the hollow body guitars with 3 per side tuners used a headstock similar to Les Pauls.
Quote by ryanbwags
Random question, but this made me think about it. I have somewhat vintage Harmony Strat. I found out years ago when I was bringing it back to life that the neck and bridge were about 5mm narrower than a regular strat (like a fender) is the neck on the Starforce narrow as well?

I'm not too sure really!

the bridge overall is narrower;
If you imagine the spacing on the plate for the 6 screws to go into the body they are a lot narrower; as is the trem block and the plate.
The replacement one I have which seems to be the normal size now is too big and the screw holes don't line up!

I've cleaned up the original trem and it does look nice; just part of the block with the whammy bar thread has sheared in half.
I'm thinking I may just buy some metal epoxy putty and put it over the sheared bit, then screw the whammy bar in a few times to create the thread then let it harden!
Last edited by 10gaugetele at Oct 31, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
I used to have a Sarforce back in the early 90's. They were remarkably good for their price.
Looked just like this one

Check out these blocks one may fit your guitar
www.guitarfetish.com/Upgrade-Steel-Brass-and-Titanium-Tremolo-Blocks_c_219.html

Yeah I basically searched for "broken guitar" on ebay as I fancied a project and came across this beaut.

I was drawn really by the maple fretboard and the all black look;
I'm really impressed by the build quality; it had rusty strings on and the wiring is hashed but the body itself is really good!

looking forward to getting it up and running!
Last edited by 10gaugetele at Oct 31, 2014,
Quote by Paleo Pete
If you have a Harmony Strat, it's not a true Harmony. They didn't make copy guitars, they designed their own guitar bodies.

Right. I actually figured that out not too long ago. There's just not a better way to describe it. I grabbed it out of my dad's basement 20 years ago and redid it. New finish, new saddles (hence when I found out the bridge was narrow). It's now got a late 90's early 00's
Kramer Quadrail humbucker (from the good old Musicyo site before it went away) in the bridge and a couple dimarzio vintage style single coils in the other spots. There's not much original except the body and neck.