Page 1 of 2
The end of the year is approaching.

So what are you guys' favourite releases so far?

I'll update this post every-so-often with albums people post.

----------------------------------------------
UG HARDCORE FORUM - BEST OF 2014 LIST:

Baptists - Bloodmines
Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown*
Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here
Locktender - Rodin
Hang The Bastard - Sex In The Seventh Circle
Exalt - Pale Light
Full Of Hell - Full of Hell & Merzbow
United Nations - The Next Four Years
Sezuires - The Sanity Universal
Violent Sons - Nothing As It Seems
Sianvar - Self-Titled EP
Up River - Undertow
Aviator - Head in the Clouds
Goodtime Boys - Rain
Secret Band - Self-Titled LP
More Than Life - What's Left of Me
Comeback Kid - Die Knowing
Hail the Sun - Wake*
Darkest Hour - Darkest Hour
Jazz Lingo by Polyphony
Unearth - Watchers of Rule

* = Highly Recommended
----------------------------------------------
Here are some of mine:

Baptists - Bloodmines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiVzH0cTQRE

Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q82B1A1yMfQ

Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZpEccekcE

Locktender - Rodin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lez4kvincK0

Hang The Bastard - Sex In The Seventh Circle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjIER83eQ7U
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Nov 6, 2014,
Although 2 years old, All We Love We Leave Behind my Converge is perhaps my favorite LP release to date
I'll be the first to admit that I haven't listened to much from 2014, but here it goes:

1. Violent Sons: Nothing As It Seems
2. Every Time I Die: From Parts Unknown
3. Sianvar: Self-Titled EP
4. Up River: Undertow
5. Aviator: Head in the Clouds
6. Goodtime Boys: Rain
7. Secret Band: Self-Titled LP
8. More Than Life: What's Left of Me
9. Comeback Kid: Die Knowing
10. Hail the Sun: Wake

The only other hardcore-related albums I've listed to were COK, La Dispute, and Hundredth. None of those really impressed me.
Same here. I listened to it a half dozen times, and just never got into it. It was just entirely forgettable, and more suited for background noise than uninterrupted listening. I f*cking love Somewhere at the Bottom, but they've been on a steady decline since then. I liked the split they did with TA, and Wildlife was decent, but RotH is just sorely disapppointing.
I have to put together a proper list, but I know that these will be on it:

Exalt - Pale Light
Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown
Full Of Hell - Full of Hell & Merzbow
United Nations - The Next Four Years
Sezuires - The Sanity Universal (2013, but it was rereleased this year)

I was pretty disappointed with the new Baptists LP. It's good, but I had a hard time staying interested.
Only albums I really cared for this year were:

Darkest Hour - Darkest Hour
Caliban - Ghost Empire

To be fair I haven't even heard most of the ones listed so far.
You liked Ghost Empire?

I thought it was the worst album Caliban have ever released.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You liked Ghost Empire?

I thought it was the worst album Caliban have ever released.

I liked it, but not nearly as much as "I am Nemesis"

Darkest Hour takes the cake for me, but I really haven't heard much of this years music.
Then this thread is perfect for you

If you like that kinda stuff you should probably check out Unearth's Watchers of Rule and Texas In July's Bloodwork. Both VERY good metalcore albums in the more modern vein.
I've really been trying to get into some just regular hardcore, but all I ever get is the generic "tough guy" BS that sounds like Throwdown. I have enjoyed a few "Terror" song here and there, but I am really kinda uneducated when it comes to non-hybrid core music. I just find it boring.

I'll check out the stuff in this thread to start with.
Quote by deadsmileyface
that texas in july album sounded like generic metal to me

Well it pretty much is, but it's damn good for what it is.
I always result to Stretch Arm Strong or early Rise Against stuff for just straight up hardcore, Damien. I hope I'm somewhere in the ballpark. If not, I have no idea what you're talking about
Rise Against has always had more of a poppy edge.

Go look at the recommendation thread.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Well it pretty much is, but it's damn good for what it is.

Then, not to be an ass (ok, maybe a bit of an ass ), but how is it metalcore or hardcore?
I guess. I like that though. Really reminds me of NOFX. Kinda like Grade. But they kinda sound like Jawbreaker
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Then, not to be an ass (ok, maybe a bit of an ass ), but how is it metalcore or hardcore?

I'm going to go back in time and punch myself in the goddam head for giving a stage to this pedanticism.
Quote by ChemicalFire
I'm going to go back in time and punch myself in the goddam head for giving a stage to this pedanticism.

My inner aspie really wants to post the "this is why we cant have nice things" meme, but I won't.
I just call real metalcore metallic hardcore and the watered down melodeath metalcore. At least recently I have done this
Quote by ChemicalFire

You do realize this is kind of how I am with music anyway, right? Even if you hadn't started it, I probably would have.

Quote by DamienEx1021
I just call real metalcore metallic hardcore and the watered down melodeath metalcore. At least recently I have done this

I just called the watered down melodeath "shit" and be done with it.

I'm too big on better brands of melodic death metal to bother with watered down stuff...which might make me elitist. But whatever.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Nov 6, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

I just called the watered down melodeath "shit" and be done with it.

Hardcore isn't music for children. That's why 14 year old teens who think Oliver Sykes or whatever is hot listen to Bring Me The Horizon and we all listen to Converge like the happy mother****ers we are
As in, I don't care that people who get all antsy about having a bogus sense of "true music taste"(Hence why "Metalhead Plebs of the Internet" is one of my favourite Facebook pages of all time) think about my love for Suicide Season.

Cuz it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPi2k5YMsaY

Album has some of the best bouncy grooves in heavy music. Hella fun. Also produced by the same guy who did In Flames' Clayman album. Hence DAT guitar tone.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Album has some of the best bouncy grooves in heavy music. Hella fun. Also produced by the same guy who did In Flames' Clayman album. Hence DAT guitar tone.

That's actually not bad. Hmm...
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
That's actually not bad. Hmm...

All about being open minded. I realised some time ago that you can judge stuff all you like on a "I should be better than this" level, but just because you think something is stupid doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

Hence the title for my latest book: "How I learned to stop worrying and love Emmure"
The singer for my last band was all over Emmure. Idk why but I just can't get into progressive death metal, deathcore, and djent stuff. I think too many bands try to sound like that. I can only handle so much death metal. The heaviest stuff I listen to is probably sludge and post metal like Neurosis and Knut. I just can't get into death metal stuff. It's just too deep and over-redundant
Emmure is basically just chugging and wiggerish arm movements. I don't think you could call it deep.
wigger - ˈwɪɡə/

noun US informal

a white person who tries to emulate or acquire cultural behaviour and tastes attributed to black people.
Page 1 of 2