Lately I've been trying to learn how to create my own solos. I notice when I go up and down the blues scale fast I get a lot of unwanted string noise. I know how to palm mute, but when I do that I don't get the sound I want. It has nothing to do with my amp, this happens even when I am unplugged. I've tried playing it slower and I made sure I was 100 percent accurate. I like to do triplets and it happens the moment I leave one string and go to the other.
Eliminating unwanted noise with your guitar playing.
1.) Bridge Palm Muting: You want to rest your hand over the bridge when playing single notes, and release your palm as needed to allow the strings to ring out. You are in control of how much muting you want. I suggest using very little, and adjusting as needed according to the amount of volume you want from the string at the time.
2.) Fretboard Finger Muting: This is one of the areas I subconsciously developed without realizing it. As you are bending strings and doing vibrato, I find that the other fingers can mute the sound behind the note being played. This holds true for running scales. As you work your way down, keep your finger low to the fretboard and they will mute all the string noise behind the notes being played. All the best!
I agree with the person above, and I would like to add some things to that.

1)The blues / pentatonic scales are quite a bitch to play fast (your pick has to skip over the string you're playing, then go on to the next string...) Paul Gilbert did an instructional DVD once where he stated that, I think. I don't think I've seen a shredder burn through the "box shapes" of the pentatonic scale (if they do play pentatonics, it's more likely 3 notes per string - but that's a whole other ballgame)

2)Try to come up with your own licks and runs that you specifically design to play fast. For example, I'll share with you a fast legato lick I came up with last week based on the blues scale (this is in the key of A, but you can transpose it, of course):

[--3--] S S [--3--] S E E
E|----------------------------| 3: 8th note triplets
B|----------------------------| S: 16th notes
G|--------------5h7s8s7-5-7| E: 8th notes
D|--------5h7-----------------|
A|5h6h7---------------------|
E|----------------------------|

You get the idea. Just playing scales up and down doesn't make a good solo. Try to come up with sounds that speak to you first and foremost. Therein lies the truth in your playing (sorry for the new-agey bit).

Best of luck to you!

EDIT: Sorry for the crappy tab display
When you are removing your finger from a fretted string, do so a bit more slowly. Do it in extreme slow motion first. That little moment between when the string breaks contact with the fret, and when your finger leaves the string has a dampening effect. If you remove your finger quickly you are probably getting a soft pull-off like note.
Quote by CostasNoir

[--3--] S  S   [--3--] S E  E
E|----------------------------| 3: 8th note triplets
B|----------------------------| S: 16th notes
G|--------------5h7s8s7-5-7---| E: 8th notes
D|--------5h7-----------------|
A|5h6h7-----------------------|
E|----------------------------|

EDIT: Sorry for the crappy tab display

There you go... (code tags rule).
Quote by godzillarissa
There you go... (code tags rule).

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by CostasNoir at Oct 31, 2014,
tie a hanky on the 3 frett of the guitar...............eliminates string noise from unwanted strings...................works very well.
nevermind, most if not everyone uses it though in recording solos