I'd buy it for $300, max.
A $400 starting bid price seems too steep for a guitar with damage on such a critical part.

And since I don't know how competent is the luthier who repaired the neck, I'd take the guitar to a luthier I trust to check if it was repaired properly.
But he'd have to refinish the neck anyway, I couldn't live with those ugly break marks.
Quote by Linkerman
I'd buy it for $300, max.
A $400 starting bid price seems too steep for a guitar with damage on such a critical part.

And since I don't know how competent is the luthier who repaired the neck, I'd take the guitar to a luthier I trust to check if it was repaired properly.
But he'd have to refinish the neck anyway, I couldn't live with those ugly break marks.

this.

except the bit about the break marks - unless i could feel them in the back of the neck when playing open chords or something, it wouldn't bother me. I'm only concerned about whether or not it negatively affects the way the guitar performs, really.

But the fact it's broken and repaired takes a lot away from the resale value regardless of the quality of the repair. That's just the way it is.
Nice guitar. Shame about the neck. It should have been completely repaired, that fix just looks half assed. I always say, fix it right or let someone else fix it.

$200... and you will pay to get it done right.
It's a set neck, isn't it? Imo, that makes any problem with the neck even more problematic. If it was just cosmetic it wouldn't bother me, but a broken and later repaired neck should drop the price a lot. I'm of course not sure about the details of the repair job, and the seller isn't very straightforward, so I'd expect the worst just in case.

Also, selling a Manta Ray for a handgun? What madness is this?
There's so many guitars in excellent condition everywhere, so I would pass. I'm the sort of person who fret everything (pun intended), so I guess I would be worried about that thing both cosmetically and structurally, no matter who did the repair. All in all, it would in most cases not translate well to a good relationship with the instrument.
Personally I would pass. Beautiful guitar but I would not buy a damaged guitar if I couldn`t check it out for myself first.
Yeah, I'm kinda leery of it myself. Love the MR 390s and have been strongly tempted to find a second one, but even though the seller says the repair is "smooth as glass",..

I mean. This is eBay, not my favorite local music store...
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I mean. This is eBay, not my favorite local music store...

inb4 "I swear the guitar was in great condition when I sent it, it must have broken in shipping."
Yeah that seems like a bit much for a guitar that went for a grand new. That break looks like it was an awkward one too, I think the possibility for some fretboard separation is there, which means that there is even more chance of the playability being affected.

I have had to repair my SG and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a well repaired guitar if the break was a nice clean break right at the headstock base, but that looks like it was an ugly one.
That's what I hate about that type of neck and headstock. Personally, I would be very leery about buying it; if I buy something that's broken it's got to be pretty darn cheap for me to even consider it.
I wouldn't pay more than $200 max for that.
Seeing as there are several completed listings (only 2 P90's though) in good condition with a hard-case for $465, that listing is wishful thinking

New ones are going for $899+
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 31, 2014,
I'd buy it, but I'm a guitar tech/luthier, and fixing things like that is what I do. I agree with the other posters that the repair was done half-assed. Wouldn't be hard to fill in the cracks and refinish. Structurally it should be OK.

Not sure if I'd give his asking price. It will cost you $100-$200 to get it fixed right, and you'd still have a guitar with a repaired neck, which is quite a hit. I'd probably go $300.

http://www.treeguitarworks.com/
I'm going to watch that auction. It will probably not sell and get relisted. If the opening bid goes lower, maaaaaaybe...