Our nearest Music Store are going on sale once in a year and I just got one of their catalogues in my mail today. Anyways I came across first of the pages and I was so shocked how they put ridiculous prices on one of their selections.

I played guitar for years and I realise that i'm growing old with my equipments. Now I'm looking to upgrade and perhaps I'm planning to get a big one so that I might do some gigging in some of venues I played before(we had school music tour).

Anyhow, they are selling Blackstar 1D 100W amp head for $83. Yes, you read it right - $83 Australian dollars. It's original price was $799 and they only have 1 stock at their store. And I've heard that there are some great features with this monster.

The problem is that it's a once a year offer and I don't want to miss the chance of getting a decent amp head, and also I'm saving up my money for cab, and that'll take some moments in a lifetime. But in the same way, I'm afraid I won't use it for a while and I might get embarrassed for buying a head and no cab to it. I was planning that this should be my future equipment and that, but it'll collecting dust in my room for a while. I will definitely use this if we are doing large gigs or once I get hold of my cab.

What do you think? Do you think I'll buy it and save it for the future or shall I pass it and miss the opportunity to get a decent amp with a great price.

Anyways, there are also selling another amp head Ampeg GVT5H 15 W all valve head for about $129. I'll look into it though.
If we seriously consider that you'd be getting a 800$ head for 80$, it's a good deal even if the head sucks. You could just sell it forward for huge profit.

However, this all sounds fishy as hell. A decent music store practically giving a working amp away? If you want it, be sure to try it out first. If you think that it's a full working amp, you could just buy it and sell it forward for 500 bucks if you don't need it
Quote by guitar/bass95
If we seriously consider that you'd be getting a 800$ head for 80$, it's a good deal even if the head sucks. You could just sell it forward for huge profit.

However, this all sounds fishy as hell. A decent music store practically giving a working amp away? If you want it, be sure to try it out first. If you think that it's a full working amp, you could just buy it and sell it forward for 500 bucks if you don't need it

I was thinking about the same thing. Maybe sell it for a profit. Though this thing is not used and it's gonna be a huge sale on next weekend, I'm sure it'll be alright. I'll try it out first.
Umm what, they're selling a new, non-used 800$ amp head for less than a hundred bucks? If that's all legit it's without a doubt a great deal, but I'm getting more and more suspicious. If you know anyone who's good with electronics etc. you could ask him/her to tag along to verify the worth of the amp.
this is a sale to get people in the door, they lose some money on that amp and make more of it back by having a line out the door. you are going to have to camp out for that my friend, if there is only 1 available it will be first come first serve. so get there a day or two early to camp.
@chrismendiola On my experience, I think their reputations good. I remember when my mate was going to buy Squier Affinity P Bass then he was told that they are out stock in their store. Few days later, my mate received a call from them and gave him a Squier Mike Dirnt P Bass with a good price.

@thejester From what I've heard from other people who went on sale before, people just came in 5 hours early before the store opens. Unfortunately, I can't camp there. Will try to get on early.
Oh ok. It's one of those sort of deals. I've been sucked in by that ploy once myself when I was young. I camped outside the store (Troy Music in Footscray) and was the first one in. Went straight to a salesman and said "I want" only to be told, "that's at the other store."
Yeah right, they only had one of them and it was at the smaller shop? Suck my dick. It's a gimmick to get you through the door.
It's listed in the catalogue that it's in the right store which i'm going though.
Haha, that's an old trick, they were selling $8000 car for $4000, went to the dealer and it was unavailable on the lot as it was getting "cleaned up" at their service dept, went to see it there and they've never heard of it.
Quote by Offworld92
Are you positive it isn't one of those $83 / month financing ads?

It probably is exactly what he's saying it is. It's an old trick they've been doing since the 80's. Sell one desirable item practically for free to get people through the door - but it's always gone by the time you get there, or as what happened to me, "it's at the other store and there's only one of them." So you know that there's no chance of it being there by the time you drive across town. But hey, you're in the shop aint ya? Maybe you'll buy something else.
Truth being that they don't actually have one at all. It only ever existed as a photo on the ad. It's the ol' bait and switch.
It is, but an easy one to get around, I guess. Especially if they have two or more stores. They don't have to advertise stock locations.
Quote by Offworld92
That sounds illegal.

It IS illegal in the U.S. Don't know about Australia though...

Edit: Didn't see your post Cath, Mondays....
Last edited by KailM at Nov 3, 2014,
Well at this point... Assuming these deals are gone

What's your budget?
Your current equipment?
Style of music/musicians you like you play?
New/used?