Hi,
i had a 25w Peavey combo. I removed the amp and put it in a self-made head shell for a partly self-made 2x12 cab (build log thread coming soon ). I don't think I will ever put the amp back into the small combo case. Instead, i'm thinking about closing the back of to no-more-combo 8" cab to beef up the sound. (will use the small cab for practicing at home while the 2x12 will stay in the jam room at my drummer buddy's place.)
The question I have is:
Should I close the slot at the top of the front of the "combo" ...where the amp front panel was?
Maybe the opening to the front will pump out more bass and punch to the front, like a bass reflex cab. But I have read things that having openings in the front could worsen the sound instead. ...is that thrue?
Any suggestions?
Last edited by offspring93 at Oct 31, 2014,
I don't have anything to add, but I want to do the same thing with an old amp I have and turn it into an extension cab. I want to see what people think.
Maybe there is a way to "port" the cab with that space up front or something like you say.
Quote by offspring93
?
Maybe the opening to the front will pump out more bass and punch to the front, like a bass reflex cab. But I have read things that having openings in the front could worsen the sound instead. ...is that thrue?

The opening in the front is more likely to introduce phasing issues than to help your bass response.

There's really not much "design" in speaker enclosures for guitar, and that's why people put random combinations in them. If you like the result, fine. Almost everything else is Hack Theory and guesswork.

One example of a cabinet actually designed for a specific guitar speaker is the Mesa Thiele cabinet, designed around the specifications for the EV-L. You can put something else in it and get sound out of it, to be sure, but it will only enhance the EV (or something with nearly identical specs). Rawoods.com has some unfinished...

This one's actually for a 15" version of that speaker, but you get the idea: