I did my very final high school examination today.

I feel free.

Addendum: Now I just have to bed that furry chick and I'm
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Oct 31, 2014,
congratulations, from here on out its a healthy mix of perpetual disappointment and soul-crushing responsibility.
You've actually just completed the most free period of your life. The trick now is to create freedom in between the hard work that comes with adulthood.

Don't forget... If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right.
Guys, I'm sure that the coming years will be the most free and fun of his life. Then, he'll wake up one day at 30 and have no skills and no real friends and then he'll realize that it would have been better to take responsibility early in life, and not worry about being 'free', because it really doesn't mean anything.

Move out when you can (not immediately), and don't move back. It's time to learn to be a man, OP. No more of this waiting for the next step bullshit. Life is happening now.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
congratulations, from here on out its a healthy mix of perpetual disappointment and soul-crushing responsibility.

seriously. get a job and suddenly have tons of money. And then bills happen
Quote by steve_muse
go to uni and be even more free bro

then the bill comes and you go "oh damn steve_muse you are a liar i thought this was free"
Quote by Thrashtastic15
then the bill comes and you go "oh damn steve_muse you are a liar i thought this was free"

I think he is Scottish tho so it's moar like ''oh damn steve u r a hero I enjoy free education"
Quote by Thrashtastic15

hey now we canadians basically get school for free compared to other countries. 7k/semester in tuition is good shit but you basically have to accept that your professors are going to only give a shit about the grad students and research as that's the only way the schools can make solid money. There's the few exceptional professors that are all around good people.

It's not the only path though. There's a few paths people go down (from my experience)

1. no post-secondary, work shitty jobs making shit pay (unless working construction and working OT) and hope that someone sees potential in your for a management position. Take that management position and set yourself up for life, or end up like my buddy who managed to pull this path off but in a bad industry where although he really enjoyed his job there simply wasn't enough money so he had to start back at square 1 (although past management experience helped him land a job that he otherwise would have had no chance at). This is pretty uncommon.

2. Get a 2 year diploma from a trades school and get a job making pretty good pay. With OT you can make mad bank with a trades certificate. Doesn't have to be a 2 year trades-diploma, I know several people that got diplomas in things like business development and are doing well for themselves. You can also go and get an engineering tech certificate which where I live pretty much sets you up to make nearly as much as engineers (although you don't get the arrogance and a swaggy iron ring and yes we engineers will talk down to you, it's just how the hierarchical order works). Don't be discouraged by my ingrained arrogance, being a tech can in some positions be much more hands on and fulfilling, especially in the power industry. Techs might actually be considered a trade... don't really care about the semantics as engineers themselves are basically tradesmen.

3. Go to university and get a degree in a field that will actually pay for itself. Maybe become an academic if you really enjoy school or want to research for the rest of your life... not really my thing although I might go back and get a swaggy doctorate some day if I suddenly have a revelation and become much more intelligent and motivated.

Come back 5 years from now, tell me I was right and your friends all took one of these three paths.

IMO, if you don't really care for school and don't want to sacrifice your free time for the next few years, just get a 2 year diploma. Lots of people I know have been working for 2 years now and are buying homes and getting married and such, they're much further ahead of me although in terms of salary I'm going to either start out making as much as they do now or even more, and then if I'm any good slope so insanely upward that they'll all be jealous and not shut the **** up about it when I hang out with them as if nobody knew that engineers make bank here and that the playing field started out level, they just didn't do jack shit in high school so they couldn't get into a university or they underestimate the price I've had to pay both in opportunity cost and enjoyment by going to school for 5 years.

Okay got a bit off topic there.
Last edited by CaptainRon at Oct 31, 2014,
Congrats you commie bastard!

Now party it up in the most heathenish of ways.
Quote by CaptainRon
hey now we canadians basically get school for free compared to other countries. 7k/semester in tuition is good shit but you basically have to accept that your professors are going to only give a shit about the grad students and research as that's the only way the schools can make solid money. There's the few exceptional professors that are all around good people.

It's not the only path though. There's a few paths people go down (from my experience)

1. no post-secondary, work shitty jobs making shit pay (unless working construction and working OT) and hope that someone sees potential in your for a management position. Take that management position and set yourself up for life, or end up like my buddy who managed to pull this path off but in a bad industry where although he really enjoyed his job there simply wasn't enough money so he had to start back at square 1 (although past management experience helped him land a job that he otherwise would have had no chance at). This is pretty uncommon.

2. Get a 2 year diploma from a trades school and get a job making pretty good pay. With OT you can make mad bank with a trades certificate. Doesn't have to be a 2 year trades-diploma, I know several people that got diplomas in things like business development and are doing well for themselves. You can also go and get an engineering tech certificate which where I live pretty much sets you up to make nearly as much as engineers (although you don't get the arrogance and a swaggy iron ring and yes we engineers will talk down to you, it's just how the hierarchical order works). Don't be discouraged by my ingrained arrogance, being a tech can in some positions be much more hands on and fulfilling, especially in the power industry. Techs might actually be considered a trade... don't really care about the semantics as engineers themselves are basically tradesmen.

3. Go to university and get a degree in a field that will actually pay for itself. Maybe become an academic if you really enjoy school or want to research for the rest of your life... not really my thing although I might go back and get a swaggy doctorate some day if I suddenly have a revelation and become much more intelligent and motivated.

Come back 5 years from now, tell me I was right and your friends all took one of these three paths.

IMO, if you don't really care for school and don't want to sacrifice your free time for the next few years, just get a 2 year diploma. Lots of people I know have been working for 2 years now and are buying homes and getting married and such, they're much further ahead of me although in terms of salary I'm going to either start out making as much as they do now or even more, and then if I'm any good slope so insanely upward that they'll all be jealous and not shut the **** up about it when I hang out with them as if nobody knew that engineers make bank here and that the playing field started out level, they just didn't do jack shit in high school so they couldn't get into a university or they underestimate the price I've had to pay both in opportunity cost and enjoyment by going to school for 5 years.

Okay got a bit off topic there.

You forgot

4. Go to Alberta and work in oil sands while living in work camp in the middle of butt**** nowhere so you can save money. End up hating your life and develop an expensive coke and/or meth habit which burns through all the money you could be saving.
You're only free if you decide to be a bum for the next 20 years and wake up one morning to realize that your "cool and free" lifestyle has left you with no real skills and an income that 16 year olds are earning more than.

You can get a real job and move out, sure, but good luck trying to have fun with the wages when you're also trying to balance that job, possible social life, possible romantic interests, bills and actually finding time to use the stuff you spend money on.

Ahhhh, if only we all realized how good we had it back when we were in education...How much stress we thought we were under then...How I would like to punch the younger me for thinking he had it hard.
Quote by CaptainRon
don't really care about the semantics as engineers themselves are basically tradesmen.

techs are generally liked, while engineers are generally disliked. you are not tradesmen.