Good afternoon,

I've been playing (or rather making a noise) for around 6 years, I have never had any lessons and have stuck to learning songs. I really enjoy blues music but find it extremely hard to play outside of the first position of the minor scale and combine my noodling with some chords. What I aspire to do is be able to improvise and play chords/lead work together much like the gentlemen in this video (particularly around the 10:00 minute mark). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlzfR9Oe39w

I have limited time to practice and have tried the caged system but didn't get on with it, could anyone recommend any good lessons? as most just seem to cover the first/second position of a minor/major scale. I have tried Jamplay but found the quality to vary between instructors and I didn't really enjoy the structure. I am willing to pay for subscriptions as my work hours vary so I can't commit to lessons.

Kind regards,

Garry
I checked it out at the 10.00 minute mark.
He is basically just improvising a basic 12 bar blues progression in A.
Check out this site to learn the basics
http://www.justinguitar.com
First thing you need to do is learn the dominant 9 chords A9,D9 and E9.
Next you need to get the 12 bar progression ingrained into your memory so that you know exactly where you are at any time whilst you are playing,It should be second nature.
After you know this like the back of your hand you want to learn the Arpeggios(chord tones)for these chords,People miss this out but your blues will be so much better if you know what notes are particularly relevant to the chord that you're suggesting with your single note playing.
Next i would learn that A blues scale all the way up the neck so that you can play anywhere without thinking about it.
On top of this you want to learn your A Major Pentatonic scale,Specially that BB(King)box,This works lovely over the V(5) chord but also works over the root chord well.
You also should listen to as much blues as possible and if you can improvise over a few tracks to try and get a feel for some blues phrasing.Check out the blues section of the site i linked and start there,He is a good teacher to get you into the basics.
Hope this helped
Hi,

Thanks for the response I will check the lessons out.
I have managed to learn the scales down the neck but I am not sure what notes I can start a run with when I'm on say the 4th or 5th chord. Not sure if there is a rule I am missing in respect of which notes to start or end on ?
Quote by gpmarshall88
Hi,

Thanks for the response I will check the lessons out.
I have managed to learn the scales down the neck but I am not sure what notes I can start a run with when I'm on say the 4th or 5th chord. Not sure if there is a rule I am missing in respect of which notes to start or end on ?

Well,When i was first learning blues,I did it the hard way due to lack of learning material back in the 90's,I basically used backing tracks on CD and played through them like thousands of times and kinda figured it out by ear.
What i would suggest is to learn the dominant 7th arpeggios for the I IV and V chords.They might feel weird to run through at first but trust me,It's worth it!It won't take long and they are on that site.You'll have a little map under your fingers of which notes you know for sure will work well over each chord.It's good if you can end on a note which is in the next chord you are about to play,The root sounds best to release that tension you just created with the non chordal notes.
Also learn a few blues licks and i'd deffo put on a backing track and just play,You'll start hearing what notes sound best where.All the notes in that blues scale will work over all the chords in the progression,It's just a question of experimenting with which sound best where.
Once you get a feel for it and get a few licks under your belt and most importantly memorise that I IV V 12 bar progression you'll be sat improvising in no time.
All Captain Lee is doing in that vid is playing a chord and then a small passage after.
Try the A Major Pentatonic over that V chord too,It works!
Do the things i mentioned and you'll be jamming away soon enough.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Nov 2, 2014,