So I've been rebuilding a guitar and it's pretty much complete except for the tuning pegs. I bought new ones as the old ones were old, and 1 was actually missing (got the guitar from a friend who never uses it)

My new tuning pegs don't fit, the obvious solution is to drill the hole to the right size right? which is 10mm in this case. But I'm not familar with drilling at all, is it safe to drill the existing hole with the bigger drill bit? Or should I fill in the hole first with wood filler or something so the drill bit has something to chew through?

Is it safe it assume I can just get a 10mm wood drill bit and go straight at it?
Yes you can drill it out.
Go from the back to the front, but leave just a little bit of wood on the face of the head stock (this helps the tuners from being pulled so much)

I highly suggest you put some good painters/making tape before you drill to minimize the splintering.

There is a drill bit designed just for this task, but if this is a 1 time deal would be IMO too expensive. They run $18ish at stewmac
www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Reamers/Rear_Peghole_Reamer.html
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes you can drill it out.
Go from the back to the front, but leave just a little bit of wood on the face of the head stock (this helps the tuners from being pulled so much)

I highly suggest you put some good painters/making tape before you drill to minimize the splintering.

this ..... and make sure your drill bit is super sharp. Those holes will want to splinter just by looking at them
If it's a matter of just making the one hole bigger, I'd just wrap sandpaper around a dowel/pencil and sand.

Quote by Ippon
If it's a matter of just making the one hole bigger, I'd just wrap sandpaper around a dowel/pencil and sand.

He has to make 6 holes 10mm in diameter and they are probably 7-8mm, so that would take a long time
Enlarging holes a small amount with a drill bit at high speed is fraught with all kinds of dangers. I'm not particularly timid over guitar mods, but I do that kind of thing by hand, using a spare drill chuck as a handle, and usually working from both sides of the hole. Or I use a large rat-tail file that acts as a reamer if you screw it in anticlockwise. I could set up my drill press to do it, but by the time I had that organised I could have done them by hand; I certainly wouldn't try it freehand with a power drill.
Sorry for being inactive, but I have been reading and taking note on your ideas.

I had a spare piece of wood I decided to practice on since in pretty new with drills. The first thing I did was tape sandpaper to a drill bit to try to sand it to a 10mm hole, but It was pretty soul destroying and I wasn't even half way through one hole (I tried this plugged into the drill)

So I bailed and tried out the 10mm drill and did exactly what robbgnarly suggested, going in the back but not all the way through to the front. It worked like a charm! No cracks or splinters and my new tuning pegs fitted like a dream.

Thanks a bunch guys! My guitar is almost complete now, except for a grounding issue I need to figure out...but I'll make a new thread for that when the time comes

Thanks again!
Tom
Quote by Wingless18
Sorry for being inactive, but I have been reading and taking note on your ideas.

I had a spare piece of wood I decided to practice on since in pretty new with drills. The first thing I did was tape sandpaper to a drill bit to try to sand it to a 10mm hole, but It was pretty soul destroying and I wasn't even half way through one hole (I tried this plugged into the drill)

So I bailed and tried out the 10mm drill and did exactly what robbgnarly suggested, going in the back but not all the way through to the front. It worked like a charm! No cracks or splinters and my new tuning pegs fitted like a dream.

Thanks a bunch guys! My guitar is almost complete now, except for a grounding issue I need to figure out...but I'll make a new thread for that when the time comes

Thanks again!
Tom

I have done more than a few that way with decent results
I'm gonna call this, "speculation", as I haven't had the need to try it. But, I expect if you soaked the inside of the hole with "Crazy Glue", (any good thin cyanoacrylate), let it cure, you'd be able to drill a fine hole without any worry of splintering.

We used to drill and tap (!) maple blocks to accept bolts using this method.

I doubt if it's necessary to get one of StewMacs extra special guitar tuner hole drills. And decent 10mm bit from the local hardware store would be just fine.

Keep in mind, the way you did it, (drilling partway, then turning the neck over), is fine and dandy.

Super glue just comes in handy for a number of guitar related tasks. Notably, hardening off the under bridge brace on an acoustic. This will stop the ball ends of the strings from denting up the wood. In some cases, quite a bit of damage is done to the part, by the time the guitar is a few years old.