Ok so, i have a steinberg ur22, which does have phantom power, however i think that phantom power will automatically power both inputs, i want to record 2 different mics, one that needs phantom power, one that doesn't, ribbon mics can be destroyed with phantom power.

What are my solutions? Can i make my steinberg give phantom only to one input, so i can use my ribbon on the other one? Do i need to buy a new interface that allows me to do so?
If i do, anyone know a reasonable priced (less than 300$) interface that can give phantom power to specific inputs and not others? Thanks!
It will power both inputs.

I've been recording for a couple of years now and never had a problem regarding phantom power and ribbon mics. Maybe if it's an old mic though. I'd be more worry about dropping the mic or not storing it properly.

I searched on the web and seems more like a myth.

Edit: So it appears that vintage ribbon can get damaged. Also if you use a patchbay, it may cause some issues. Newer products are able to handle the phantom power (considering they are in perfect shape). It also depend of the brand. Some brands are made to handle and some are not. What's your mic?

You should e-mail the company and ask them directly.
Last edited by Taz9 at Nov 1, 2014,
Quote by weirdzaid
What are my solutions?
Depends.
What mic's do you have in particular?

'cause dropping a line to the manufacturer to ask them if the thing can safely handle phantom power would be the best solution imo.

If it can't then, for that budget no interfaces I know have a phantom switch for each channel.
If you can stretch that a bit though the apogee duet, I think the focusrite forte, the audient id22 and the spl crimson all have that.
Quote by Taz9
I searched on the web and seems more like a myth.
It's not.
Quote by Taz9
Newer products are able to handle the phantom power (considering they are in perfect shape).
Doesn't depend on the product wear, it depends on the product design.

Applying current to the thing will stretch the ribbon, and possibly break it.
If the ribbon is strong and/or long enough you'll not have any problem, though you may as well break a new mic.
I'm using a MXL R40 ribbon ( cheap but i like it ) and a Rode NT5 , Rode needs phantom , MXL will die on phantom, i'll check the interfaces u mentioned, maybe i can step up the budget a bit,
I've never broken a ribbon with phantom, but I asked a friend who works at Ocean Way in Nashville (they have more vintage RCAs than they know what to do with) and he said he would never mess with it, so if you really value your mic you might be best to stay away (if it's a vintage ribbon at least).

TBH, ribbon mics often deserve their own dedicated preamps to really sing. I know it's a bit of an investment, but if you have a good Royer or something vintage, or even want to get the most of of a Fat Head, a good pre will work wonders for it.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw your reply that it's an MXL. In that case, it might be cheaper to have to buy a new mic if anything happened than it would be to invest in a ribbon pre, if budget is priority.
Last edited by Stringer_Bell at Nov 1, 2014,
Doesn't depend on the product wear, it depends on the product design.

Oops yea I meant that if your equipment is in good shape (all 3 XLR pins there for instance) and that your mic can handle phantom power, then you should not have any problem. Syntax problem maybe.