Hi everyone, i've been a lurker here for a while and finally decided to post.

I recently purchased a couple of the Charvel Desolation series guitars, i think they're a great value for the money especially since i got them when Guitar Center had them on sale for 329.00 for the 1 series.

What i dont understand is why so many people look down on them. I Really like the ones i got, they're both neck through guitars with EMG 81 / 85 pickups. the necks are super comfortable, but it seems everywhere i've looked everyone is hating on them.

Can somebody explain why there is so much disdain for the Desolation series??
They aren't "real" Charvel's in most people's eyes. If you like them, great and congrats on your new guitars. I think the Scatecaster is kinds neat, reminds me of the Jackson Mark Morton Dominion.

MF was blowing out them a week or 2 ago for $199 and I should have gotten one just because

Besides your the one that needs to be happy with your guitars not anyone else
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 31, 2014,
Really?? not a real Charvel? whats are real charvels then? only US made when the stars align just right? LOL. thats just sad i have many different guitars from different price ranges and made in all different countries from Jackson JS32T to a Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium Plus, i like them all. if they feel good to me and i can afford it i will try to get it as long as i can get approval from the Boss (wife)...lol
^ No he means they don't really resemble the "classic" charvels i.e. the 80s-style superstrats and stars. They look like Fender saw that Schecter-style guitars were very popular with the modern rock/metal crowd, and wanted a piece of that.

Nothing wrong with that, and if you like it and got a good deal there's no problem, as rob says it's your guitar and you have to be happy and screw everyone else.

Also there were some complaints about QC (but I haven't tried them so ).

EDIT: ninja'd
The Desolation series aren’t bad, but at full price there are better options from ESP, Schecter, Ibanez, Michael Kelly, etc. Fender launched these things as if the old Charvel name justified paying a premium for a generic east-Asian guitar. It doesn’t. They did the same thing with Guild, and those electrics have tanked even harder than the new Charvel designs. Had Fender started at low prices and then raised them $50 every six months like they did with Gretsch things would have gone better, but they got greedy and impatient.

whats are real charvels then?

Super-strats with Fender headstocks. Putting the Charvel name on knockoffs of Dean, ESP, and Gibson designs was a stupid move. Fender would have been better off inventing a new brand name than trying to attach a name associated with Stratocasters to a wide range of knockoffs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ No he means they don't really resemble the "classic" charvels i.e. the 80s-style superstrats and stars. They look like Fender saw that Schecter-style guitars were very popular with the modern rock/metal crowd, and wanted a piece of that.

Nothing wrong with that, and if you like it and got a good deal there's no problem, as rob says it's your guitar and you have to be happy and screw everyone else.

Also there were some complaints about QC (but I haven't tried them so ).

EDIT: ninja'd

i haven't seen anything on the QC on them, but i looked mine over really carefully and the fit and finish was spot on, frets were finished nicely no sharp edges.

One of the ones I bought was the Soloist in gloss black and with the abalone inlays and in the binding i thought it looked really sharp.

Thank you for your replies, I really do appreciate it. hopefully i will learn some stuff and be able to be constructive and helpful here.
^ oh yeah absolutely, it's entirely possible that yours is just fine. we only see the complaints. just there were definitely a couple of threads here about them where guitars were pretty shoddily put together (IIRC).
It's a combination of three things imo.

Charvel's great legacy is hot rodded Strats. The big deviation away from that seems like a sell-out to many. Hence the "not real Charvels" stuff.

I honestly think the big feature list at such a low price has just brought out the haters. When you buy a better guitar than someone else for half the price, sometimes they'll looking for any way to make themselves feel better.

There have been a few bad ones slip through the QC. Couple that with the above two points and you've got a product with a target on it.

Relax, they're terrific instruments, as per my sig

EDIT: Ok, sigs have vanished. In a nutshell, I have 3
Last edited by Danustar at Nov 1, 2014,
Taking a classic name like Charvel and slapping it on shit guitars like the Desolation-series was not a good move on FMIC's part.

The result? "Sale" at the price level they should have been at from the start, had they not had Charvel on the headstock.
Quote by Danustar
See? ^^

That's funny, I guess you were 100% right