Poll: How many strings is too many (single coursed)
Poll Options
View poll results: How many strings is too many (single coursed)
28 24%
32 27%
30 25%
5 4%
0 0%
0 0%
none
23 19%
Voters: 118.
Page 1 of 4
I have decided that 9 is too many for a guitar. Just get a bass. There is no "lol real instruments", "lol wood and strings", or "get a mac" options. Sorry will and snazz.
For a modern guitar, I'd say 8 or 9. But like hey man like a 12 string is ok or something because its really just like a 6 string only 2 more strings per string and thats a-ok or something idk.
10. 9 is fine. Even tuned down to whatever the highest notes of a standard bass are, it will still sound different on a non bass guitar.
Quote by behind_you
But what about a harp

Harps are for dorks and old people.

Quote by Joshua Garcia
For a modern guitar, I'd say 8 or 9. But like hey man like a 12 string is ok or something because its really just like a 6 string only 2 more strings per string and thats a-ok or something idk.

2 strings per course on a guitar is also for dorks and old people.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Oct 31, 2014,
7 is ok, 8 is kinda silly, 9 is borderline retarded.
Last edited by 67_67 at Oct 31, 2014,
More strings than that many are acceptable on instruments that are supposed to have lots of strings like harps (even if they are for dorks and old people), zithers, steel guitars, weird Indian things, archlutes (which are also for dorks and old people), etc.
Quote by Wiegenlied
>6
<12

leave it to the hard working ontario boys to dro p some knowledge bombs THUMBS UP
I couldn't imagine how annoying it is changing strings on anything with more than 6 strings
ive got an acoustic guitar that has TWELVE strings! you literally have TWO strings that you fret instead of one and it sounds like just a regular guitar but much better WOW! i say you can never have enouuugh strings
Quote by Hungryformore21
ive got an acoustic guitar that has TWELVE strings! you literally have TWO strings that you fret instead of one and it sounds like just a regular guitar but much better WOW! i say you can never have enouuugh strings

that doesn't really count tho
Depends on the style of music you play tbh. Like if you play metal or something then obviously one string is one too many.
Quote by captainsnazz
one

By the way, I just wanted you to know that I'm not sorry.
for a guitar, 7 at 7 you really start to step on the bassists toes, also I've noticed that odd guitars are mostly used as a gimmick to impress people rather than relying on your playing
7s are my main instruments, some people can put 8s to good use but 9 is just pretty ******ed imo.
8 is my absolute limit. I personally can't play an 8 in a meaningful way, but I like a lot of music that's played with an 8. Anything past that, both for playing and listening - it's ridiculous. That demographic is 99% kiddies wanting to chug a lower open string, and 1% legitimately talented people who can write something worth a damn on it. Or have big enough hands.
Last edited by FlyingPirahna at Oct 31, 2014,
There are a lot of good 7 string players, and some good 8 string players. Beyond that, I don't really know. I can't imagine anything more than 7 or 8 strings being practical at all. But then again, I have enough trouble with just 6 strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4iAMx-nS6Y

Some good 8 string playing.
Quote by nicholas72611
Some people seriously think 7 strings is too much?

yes
I don't mind 9 if it's like Mat Pike's guitar, doubling the high six string, but a low C# is too many for me.
I'm dead set against electrics having more than 6 strings. I've sort of started to open up to the idea of 7 strings more recently, but it's taken my best friend like 3 years of constant harassment to even make me consider playing one. I still don't see myself playing one outside of trying to cover a few songs I like.

For an acoustic, I would only go with a 6 or 12 string, depending on what a song needs. They both sound great, but sometimes a 12 string sounds that tad bit nicer.
I really don't see why it's even a discussion. Guitarists harp on about being creative and open minded, yet hold very conservative views on how many strings the instrument should have. Who really cares how many strings something has?

'If you want an x atring guitar, you may as well just get a bass.'

If you can't tell the difference between a note played on bass and guitar, you need your ears checked. Hell, on a standard 4 string bass, all the notes bar an octave are in the same range as a standard tuned 6 string guitar.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Depends on the style of music you play tbh. Like if you play metal or something then obviously one string is one too many.

Apply cold water to the burned area.
It's only too many when you have more than you use Some guitarists (Keith Richards, Max Cavalera) don't even put all 6 strings on their guitar.

It's a little silly when someone owns an 8 string and only chugs away at the lower 2 strings, but that's their choice to put their fingers through that.
6: Great, nothing it can't do
7: Cool, gives you more sounds to play with, and can also work as a baritone.
8: A bit overboard, unless you're Meshuggah or Tosin Abasi, it's a bit on the weird side
9: Ridiculous. It gets to the point where you can't even tell what notes you're playing on the bottom strings. I mean how many octaves do you need?!
Page 1 of 4