I havent played for 2cweeks now due to injuty and ive been thinking new things I could learn, just wondering is economy picking worth it and is better than alternate picking.

And I also want to learn to play left handed, any1 tried that? Is it hard? Or is it just a waste of time, I mean it looks cool.....
Last edited by viperzz33 at Oct 31, 2014,
It's well worth it IMO, but it's way easier if you can alt pick good first. For me eco picking is hard to get away from once you start, I found new ways to play a lot of the alt picking stuff, now as eco picking. It takes a while to get comfortable at it, just practice slow and accurate like anything else, when moving from string to string, make sure to rest the pick first on the next string, don't just float it, after a while it feels way easier and is for sure faster for me, also I like the smoother sound.

also fuk playing lefty, work on stuff that matters
Alt-picking is still automatic for me, but when I practice economy, it feels a lot more "natural." If the end goal of accurate playing is economy of motion, then using economy picking for a lot of single note runs is a no brainer.
Quote by Tempoe
It's well worth it IMO, but it's way easier if you can alt pick good first. For me eco picking is hard to get away from once you start, I found new ways to play a lot of the alt picking stuff, now as eco picking. It takes a while to get comfortable at it, just practice slow and accurate like anything else, when moving from string to string, make sure to rest the pick first on the next string, don't just float it, after a while it feels way easier and is for sure faster for me, also I like the smoother sound.

also fuk playing lefty, work on stuff that matters

Im quite a fast alternate picker so I think ill try economy picking havent heard about y since last night.
Ill try it once I get a full recovery from tendonisitis. Is it harder to learn than alt? Alt has quite easy once I got my hands sync and easier to go at faster speeds, so economy picking is faster?

And yeh screw learning lefty, guesss its not worth it
Quote by viperzz33
Im quite a fast alternate picker so I think ill try economy picking havent heard about y since last night.
Ill try it once I get a full recovery from tendonisitis. Is it harder to learn than alt? Alt has quite easy once I got my hands sync and easier to go at faster speeds, so economy picking is faster?

And yeh screw learning lefty, guesss its not worth it

In theory economy picking is faster but when it comes down to actually playing there's no difference at all, among the truly fast pickers in the world you tend to find that they're pretty evenly split when it comes to how they pick. What really matters is how good your economy of motions is and how relaxed you are. It's also much more worth knowing that they sound different so are applicable to different situations. The ideal is to learn both really well and pick whichever sounds more like the sound in your head, but that's the ideal and obviously might not be feasible depending on how much practice time you have.
Ok thanks, ill economy picking, picked up my guitar today, and tried it, it seems harder to learn at the start than alt