I'm thinking of getting some tutoring. Long ago I remember getting lessons for the drums and I remember knowing more than the guy. I was only 10. I don't want to throw money down the drain and get a bad teacher. What should I look for in a teacher? What is the usual price? I was thinking an hour would probably be best.
Well, I've been taking lessons for a while, and I think that the most important thing is that the teacher has to push you to improve yourself, of somehow manage to motivate you to music.

I don't mean that if you hate music, a teacher can fix it, but for example, if you feel frustrated about something (for example, I've always played metal, and I start to suffer the consequences of my lack of basic rhythmic song knowledge and ability to adapt fast to a song), or when you listen to guitar music you ask yourself "does it just come down to this?", a teacher should be able to change a bit your perspective to show you how intresting it is to explore all of that music world, and show you how much there can be even in simple things.

Of course, he must also be able to guide you in what you need/want to achieve (in a strictly "technical" way).

About the price, it depends on where you live I guess, here in Italy it's about 20€/h average, goes from 5€ (students who pretend to teach others) to 35+€ (like famous band's guitarists or school prices).

Really, what you have to look for in a teacher depends on what you are willing to learn

Oh, also, don't forget that respect (from both the sides) is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for any teacher-student relation. Don't try to learn from a teacher who doesn't respect you or who you don't respect.

Just my opinion of course
I think a good teacher is someone that encourages and pushes their student, no matter the subject area. My previous teacher was a great guy, and could play well, but I wasn't being pushed, and felt I wasn't learning anything from him.

I quit lessons back at the beginning of the year, did quite a bit of playing up until this summer, but I haven't been playing much due to work and school, and I've been considering finding a teacher who would push me into becoming better. The only things I really need are help in ear training (have improved greatly), playing with others, and becoming familiar with genres other than rock/blues/metal.

If the teacher doesn't keep the students enthused in playing r improving, then, in my eyes, they aren't doing their job properly. Most are great players and/or great people, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a great teacher. That's just my $0.02 on the matter.
For me I don't think you should have to leave the motivation up to the teacher. I found a very knowledgeable and experienced player and teacher who has a balance of teaching me what he feels is necessary to be a great all around musician and what I want to achieve personally.
A teacher that can play how you want to be able to play and teach how you want to be taught. I would talk to them about their philosophy and ask them about techniques you want to learn.

For me, I would have to interview potential teachers basically.

It isn't necessarily how much they know, how many scales they know, what diploma they have, or anything like that.

I think a good teacher will probe you to try and see what you're like and tailor lessons for you. So, if they don't do that, that could be a negative right there. On the other hand, you might find a teacher that's very academic, and that might be great, if you want more of a sort of academic classical sort of experience.

So, it depends a lot on you. One teacher might be great for you, but would suck for me.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Nov 1, 2014,
Quote by tyle12
For me I don't think you should have to leave the motivation up to the teacher. I found a very knowledgeable and experienced player and teacher who has a balance of teaching me what he feels is necessary to be a great all around musician and what I want to achieve personally.

You do have a point. From my experience with my last teacher, he never really helped much with either aspect. Besides helping me with correcting some basics in the beginning, a few years down the road, I was learning more on my own than with him. I would bring up what I wanted to achiever as a player as well as some repertoire. Two lessons or so after being shown what we figured out of a song, he'd end up not helping me with learning the rest, and I'd always have to help him relearn the songs.

It was a really frustrating time for the last year-and-a-half worth of lessons, and I spent a lot of time doing self-study. I quit lessons because I was fed up with how it was going, and I've been getting back into it after a few months hiatus.

Sorry for going on a rant, but i do see your point. It's just that most teachers, as i said, are great guys and/or players, but they are terrible teachers. That can leave the students frustrated with it, but luckily, I never had the urge of outright quitting.
I took lessons from several different teachers in my area and what a waste of time and money...I even had some that didn't even know there basic chords...I tried teaching my self for a while and learned alot but I was still missing alot of pieces. I came here for answers and someone told me about rNbacademy. A online school that is much cheaper than lessons in my area. The knowledge and what I have learned so far has been so much more than anyone else or anything I have learned on my own. Im just finishing lead guitar phase1 and this is the first time I have ever been able to improvise on my own all over the neck and feel comfortable with it...It has taken me about 5 months to get to this point and I love it..I was reading these post here and it felt just like me when I came here looking for help...awesome school, inexpensive, and a different way of teaching with huge success for me....Just my opinion..