Hi all, I was just having a few thought to myself, and wondered if this situation could happen.

Say I purchased a powerful amplifier, with a master volume, to manage to get some quieter sounds from it, would it be possible for the master volume to break, and turn to maximum?
Thus shattering my ears and killing my dogs?

I don't even know if this is possible, but want to know if it is a possibility, and if so, has it happened to any of you?
How bad did it make you jump?

Ive never heard a amp full blast, so can only imagine the volume.
Regardless of whether it could happen (I don't know) - you would have the volume control on your guitar or volume pedal if you had one to control it within the second.

Nothing to worry about mate. Amps aren't scary creatures
Yeah, I know you would turn it down straight away, but I could imagine that split second to be quite hair raising .

Anyone else out there that knows if it can, or has happened to them?
Sure its possible, although highly unlikely.
Its more likely to not give you any volume at all if it fails though.
I did read online that they tend to give no volume, thats what gave me the idea could it go the other way, and go full throttle if it failed.

Is it safe (apart from your ears) to run an amp with everything maxed? I gather it is, otherwise the knobs wouldn't go that far would they?
Sure, I've done it a few times just for shits n' giggles.
Its not something I would do on a regular basis though.
Only thing bad it would do is shorten the life of speakers and tubes.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 1, 2014,
Thats cool. I was just a bit worried about the master volume, I tend to worry a lot.
I'm saving for a jet city 22H, I know its only 20 watts, but I understand that to still be very loud.
Quote by conanwarrior
Thats cool. I was just a bit worried about the master volume, I tend to worry a lot.
I'm saving for a jet city 22H, I know its only 20 watts, but I understand that to still be very loud.

It's loud enough for gigging alongside a drummer without struggling.

It's also quiet enough for home practice.

Great amp, good choice.
Quote by conanwarrior
Is it safe (apart from your ears) to run an amp with everything maxed? I gather it is, otherwise the knobs wouldn't go that far would they?

Quote by conanwarrior
I was just a bit worried about the master volume, I tend to worry a lot.

Don't worry. I've ran my Ampeg GVT, which has 50 watts, at max volume and gain, boosted with a Tubescreamer-style pedal, at my home and it was perfectly fine.
The only precaution I took was wearing earplugs.
Im glad to hear Gary it is quiet enough for home practice, as that is what I will be using it for (at the moment, who knows what the future holds).

Also good to hear Linkerman run your 50watt amp at full volume, without death occurring lol.

Good idea on the earplugs, I am thinking of getting some of the type that protect your ears, but still allow you to hear the music properly, are these any good?
I run my JTM45 at full volume heaps. My 18W Marshall is hardly used any other way.
Quote by conanwarrior
Good idea on the earplugs, I am thinking of getting some of the type that protect your ears, but still allow you to hear the music properly, are these any good?

I use the Alpine MusicSafe Pro earplugs.

They're great, I even use them when I go to concerts, and in nightclubs where the music is too loud.
Yeah, they were the earplugs i meant Linkerman. Good to hear they are good, do they muffle the sound or is it still clear?
Quote by conanwarrior
Yeah, they were the earplugs i meant Linkerman. Good to hear they are good, do they muffle the sound or is it still clear?

All earplugs muffle the sound a bit, and the Alpine ones are no exception.
But they're by far the best ones I've ever used. Comfortable, practical and they seem to "muffle" considerably less than others.

No more ringing ears for me, and I even feel like I got more sensitive to high volume levels, I can't stand'em the way I used to.
Last edited by Linkerman at Nov 1, 2014,
Thats a shame, by the description of them I thought they just reduced the decibels while keeping the sound clean. I suppose that may be near impossible to do though.
Quote by conanwarrior
Thats a shame, by the description of them I thought they just reduced the decibels while keeping the sound clean. I suppose that may be near impossible to do though.

It's impossible. The use of earplugs will always affect the sound.
But as I said before, IMO these are the ones that do the best job, by far.