Hi everybody,

do you ever set goals to your acoustic guitar playing? I never really did, but I'm considering trying. The problem is that I'm not sure how to put my musical ideas into clear goals.

Do you have any advise on making clear goals on topics like theory, technique, transcribing, songwriting and maybe even singing?

I know some chord theory, I'd like to learn more, but I don't know in which direction I should go. My style is based on rythm guitar, a lot of chords/riffs, very few soloing. I transcribe a lot, lately I've been working on Neil Young, Jack White, John Frusciante and Radiohead. One goal I did set was learning Stop this train (John Mayer), I play along with this whole song 5 times a day for 20 days, just to get the technique down.

Thanks
Hey! I'm also a rhythm guitarist, never really understood lead So I guess I've always approached my guitar playing from a slightly different perspective.

As far as goal setting goes, it depends what you want to achieve/where you want to be. Do you want to play particular songs? A particular style or technique? Play like a certain guitarist? Be able to tab songs purely by ear? Be able to get musical ideas into actual musical form? For me, I like to learn a heap of riffs but don't always bother learning the whole song (which is kinda bad when it comes to jamming with other musos). So it depends what you want to get out of it. Sometimes I just want to really pull of a riff or a song (like Pinball Wizard!) so I will obsessively practice that until I can play it and play it to impress. Other times my goal will be to play a tricky phrase fast. Or it might be to memorise some chords to a song so I can play it round a campfire.

Don't underestimate practice. I used to sight read some music everyday, practice techniques and exercises (especially strumming/rhythm related), and learn a new song or riff by ear about once a week. Having a regular lesson (even if it's once a month) or jam sessions are a really good way to track your progress and reach your goals, and motivate you to practice.

Hope this helps and is kind of what you're after!
My only goals are to learn songs, get better and have fun. I'm 43 and this is just a hobby. I already know I'm not the next Jimi Hendrix or EVH. LOL