Timing that's off, notes that aren't clean, extra notes ringing that are not intended to do so, stuff like that.

More often than not, I'd say it is caused by lack of physical ability from not practicing enough correctly.

People often want to fast track, and be able to go fast as soon as possible, so they won't practice slow, perfect and clean, ramping it up as they go. This often leads to sloppy playing.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Nov 1, 2014,
I would say sloppy playing is playing that isn't perfect.

Perfection isn't something only professionals can do, a beginner might be able to play happy birthday perfectly, or the chords to a pop song perfectly. But i would argue that anything that isn't perfect is sloppy, atleast to me. I always strive for perfection in my playing, no matter what i am working on, so i am brutally honest with my playing. If i am abit far ahead of the beat i am sloppy, if i'm too far behind it is sloppy. If i bend out of tune it is sloppy, if it isn't clean it is sloppy etc.
Quote by steven seagull
grow up please this isn't the pit

To be fair, the question was stupid, and he got set up for this answer.
Quote by amonamarthmetal
To be fair, the question was stupid, and he got set up for this answer.

Havent you ever heard?
There aren't any stupid questions. Only stupid answers.

Speaking from the perspective of an illustrator: sloppy can be a style choice but a sloppy drawing still needs to demonstrate proficiency. it needs to be INTENTIONALLY sloppy.

I don't think sloppy is your main concern. Worry about being musical. If it's pleasant to listen to then that's the main thing.
but would someone listen to something sloppy? I had a slight idea of what it is, like missing notes and extra string noise? And how could i improve on being sloppy? should i post a vid? Oh and don't mine Viperzz33, he's my brother lol, now im just wondering if i should tell mum what he said. My brother plays too, but he doesn't wana teach me he's a prick and a show off at times.
Quote by exelarated
Oh and don't mine Viperzz33, he's my brother lol, now im just wondering if i should tell mum what he said. My brother plays too, but he doesn't wana teach me he's a prick and a show off at times.

Tell your brother to stop being an asshole. Guitar isn't a competition and people who treat it that way are terrible and usually don't go far. If it's any consolidation he's pretty shit too, and I would never say that to another musician unless they're asking for it, which he definitely is.
Last edited by vayne92 at Nov 2, 2014,
Listen to the Heartbreaker solo. I don't mean to start bashing Jimmy Page; he is very good. That solo however is pretty damn sloppy.
Quote by exelarated
but would someone listen to something sloppy? I had a slight idea of what it is, like missing notes and extra string noise? And how could i improve on being sloppy? should i post a vid? Oh and don't mine Viperzz33, he's my brother lol, now im just wondering if i should tell mum what he said. My brother plays too, but he doesn't wana teach me he's a prick and a show off at times.

You remove sloppy, by practising slowly enough to get it right. Then you go faster, slowly. You increase your speed where you can play well, step by step.

Everything has to be clean, ring out nicely, and be right on time. Your picking and fingering, needs to be in perfect sync. Go as slow as you need to go to makes that happen, and slowly go faster.

People don't want to do that because they don't want to go slow, but that's how you learn to go fast. Otherwise you're just a poser that wishes they could play fast, and plays the part, but can't actually pull it off.