#1
Hey guys,
Hopefully by the end of this year I should be able to buy a new Schecter guitar to play with, however, I still want to keep my first guitar even though it's in pretty bad condition.

Here's the thing, I want to shove some new pickups in it and paint it, as I don't like the current suburst design it has on it, BUT, when I started playing the strap came of and the guitar fell to the floor taking a chunk of paint and wood off of the bottom and back of the guitar.

Now, I read that sanding down a guitar right down to the wood is very tiring and a long task to do, so, how to I get it to smooth out with no dips in the finish?

Do I use filler o glue or something like that? And then sand it down to be level with the paint? Or is there a less tiring (and afordable) way to sand off all the paint?

Help please, thanks in advance.
#2
You might find some better and more experienced responses in the Guitar Building and Customization forum. However, what I will tell you here is to check out chemical stripping agents if it's on an MIM Strat with a poly finish. It'll save a lot of headache (and elbow grease).
#3
Since you're painting it an opaque color, you can get by with just scuff sanding - no need to go down to bare wood.

As mentioned above, this will be a cool project in the GB&C forum.
#5
I sanded my MIM strat down this summer and it looks and plays great. I left the back and sides solid black (stock) and stained the top to an almost walnut color using poly-shades. I don't remember exactly how many coats I put on it, but google has step by step instructions for refinishing about anything. The only problem that I have had is that because I sanded down to the bare wood, I had to sand through a veneer. It took a while, but it wasn't terrible. The frustrating part was that the body of my guitar was now 1/4 inch thinner, making the trem system too low for the neck and making the stings so low that an open note was actually hitting the 21st fret. I simply put a nut on the bottom of each screw in the trem system, raising it right back up to where it should be. I also upgraded the pickups, and, besides a few soldering iron burns, it was pretty easy. I had a lot of fun with this project and I would recommend that you try something too if you enjoy tinkering around with your guitars.