So I have this Ibanez MTM2 that currently has a pair of EMGs installed and I'm starting to think that's not really the tone I'm after with this guitar. So I'm planning to replace them with a pair of passive Seymour Duncans and I got thinking about some additional ideas I'm considering.

The thing is that the MTM2 only has a single volume pot and no tone, which makes it somewhat limited tonewise. It does however have a 5-way switch that could be used to vary it, however I'm really not into the sound of split coils and other such standard uses of a 5-way on humbuckers and I was thinking that I would rather have something like this:

1: Bridge humbucker with no capacitor
2: Both pickups through a .01 cap
3: Neck humbucker no cap
4: Neck humbucker through a .01 cap
5: Neck humbucker through a .022 cap

So something like a combined pickup-selector and varitone, which seems like it would be great to have, especially in a live setting.

So, quick question: Can this, or at least something like it, be done?

If so, how would I go about doing it and are there any additional considerations I should be vary of?

I'm guessing the type of selector switch will be important and I'm not really sure what kind is in the guitar now, but I would guess it's an "import"-style and not "strat"-style.

Thanks!
It can definitely be done. It's actually what the original tone switch was for. The original single pickup Fenders used a 'tone lever' that swapped out caps, and even some of the earlier two pickup Telecaster type guitars had a hybrid tone/pickup selector switch. Several Gretsch models use a cap switch in addition to their pickup selectors and tone knobs. So what you're doing makes sense and has been done successfully.

My suggestion would be to familiarize yourself with how a 5-way switch is wired and then just experiment with switching out those different caps to see which ones work for you. Once you understand the 5-way wiring you can do the rest yourself, it's not difficult.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the response! I'm seeing this as a learning experience since I'm quite new to guitar wiring, but it seems like a good skill to have so I'm going to read up and learn what I can and bump this when I get somewhere with it.
Thanks, but I got that sorted already I think. The SD's are currently in another guitar so I'm basically just going to switch all of the electronics from that guitar with the MTM, with some modifications of course.
So, I've been doing a lot of reading and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, but I might just be totally wrong of course.

So anyways, it seems like the 5-way switch in the guitar is a cor-tek 2502N and after some searching on the net I found this informative picture:

So it seems like if I would wire my guitar like this:

I would have the following positions:

1. Bridge, no tone
2. Bridge with 113 cap
3. Both with 223 cap
4. Neck with 113 cap
5, Neck with 223 cap

Is that correct, or am I missing something?

Also, the switch on the pics has a 2 on the bottom, mine has a 3, does anyone know it if's still the same model or if there's some difference?

Thanks!
Last edited by Voidvessel at Nov 4, 2014,