Poll: Which guitar should I buy?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar should I buy?
Cort X-1
3 16%
Epiphone Special II
2 11%
Jackson JS11 Dinky
3 16%
Other
11 58%
Voters: 19.
Page 1 of 2
I don't know if I should post this here, but I'm trying to buy my first eletric guitar but I've been searching and found some guitars that seem good. However, I don't know which them is better. I want to play mostly hard rock and metal. Some bands that I really like are: Guns 'N Roses; Marilyn Manson; AC/DC; David Bowie; Judas Priest; Slayer; Kiss and Metallica.

So, the guitars that I found are: Cort X-1; Epiphone Special II and Jackson JS11 Dinky.
How much are you looking to spend? Don't forget, unless you plan on getting a starter pack you also have to factor in an amp, new strings, a strap and a cable. For what it's worth, a hundred bucks extra could mean a world of difference here. O would also suggest looking used.
Last edited by OroborosYinYang at Nov 2, 2014,
If I buy a starter pack, I can spend a maximum $275 (220&euro but if I buy guitar and amp. separately, I can spend a maximum $150 (120&euro on the guitar.

Sorry for my english
As it is, I would at least recommend the same brands used. Something like a Epiphone G-400 or a Jackson JS32 series could be had for close to that price.
Quote by GoncaloCC
If I buy a starter pack, I can spend a maximum $275 (220&euro but if I buy guitar and amp. separately, I can spend a maximum $150 (120&euro on the guitar.

Sorry for my english

I really can't pay more than this. Knowing this, which guitar do you think I shoudl buy?
In this price range the guitar is a lot more important than the amp.

I saw a used Squier SP-10 at Guitar Center for 9.99. That is not a good amp but if you can buy something like that and free up enough money for a better guitar then you ought to do that.

You could get a mexican strat or an Epi Les Paul, or an Agile or any number of other decent starter guitars.
Used Yamaha Pacifica.

Not exactly a metal-looking guitar, but anything at this price range that isn't a Yamaha Pacifica isn't really worth buying. If such a guitar isn't available to you, I'd suggest saving up more money.
If you want a decent budget multi-effects pedal then I highly recommend getting a Digitech RP255. The variety of different sounds you can get out of it is amazing. It basically has everything you could possibly want - a range of different amps and cabs modelled, and just about everything you could want as far as effects goes - Chorus, Compression, Distortion, Phase, Flange, Wah Wah, Delay, Reverb, Vibrato/Rotary, Tremolo, envelope filters and YaYa.

Not sure how much it is now but I bought it for £119 a couple of years ago.

The only thing it isn't great at is pitch shifting but given the price of the thing you can forgive that because everything else is so good. There are plenty of reviews on YouTube if you want to check it out.

And the best thing (and the best thing about any multi-effects pedal with amp and cab modelling) is that if you get yourself a gig you don't need to do your back in bringing a heavy amp and cab to the venue. Just bring your guitar and RP255 and plug it straight into the PA.
If you're ok with used, I'd recommend looking for a Schecter Omen (I don't know the price in $ but I believe a new one would be above 150). I think they're among the best in this price range if you want to play rock/metal, I played one and it's really, really nice.
Quote by peskypesky

But is it better than the Jackson JS11?

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Used Yamaha Pacifica.

Not exactly a metal-looking guitar, but anything at this price range that isn't a Yamaha Pacifica isn't really worth buying. If such a guitar isn't available to you, I'd suggest saving up more money.

I don't want to buy an used guitar.

Quote by Robbgnarly
If you go new I'd get this guitar over the ones you listed and it is only €109
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbl450cs.htm

For an amp, I suggest something like a peavey Vyper so you can get a variety of tones and FX

I heard Harley Benton are not very good. Is that correct?

Quote by OroborosYinYang
Have you had the chance to try out the ones you've listed, or are you ordering online?

No, I didn't. I'm ordering online

I have found some cool Harley Benton guitars but I don't know how to compare them and I don't even know if the brand is good. Here they are:
http://www.thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_ex76_bk_classic_series.htm
http://www.thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_wl_20bk_rock_series.htm
http://www.thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_hbl450bk.htm
Last edited by GoncaloCC at Nov 2, 2014,
^ I've heard conflicting things about harley benton guitars- some people say they're really good for the money, some say they're crap. I dunno, I haven't tried them. Some of the harley benton stuff is good (the speaker cabinets especially), but that doesn't tell you much because thomann doesn't make the stuff itself, it just subcontracts out to other manufacturers who slap the HB logo onto it.

The other big problem is that, being a new player, you're not going to be able to know if you've got a good one or not (or at least not as well as a more experienced player).

the safest option is probably the pacifica 112 T00DEEPBLUE suggested.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I've heard conflicting things about harley benton guitars- some people say they're really good for the money, some say they're crap. I dunno, I haven't tried them. Some of the harley benton stuff is good (the speaker cabinets especially), but that doesn't tell you much because thomann doesn't make the stuff itself, it just subcontracts out to other manufacturers who slap the HB logo onto it.

The other big problem is that, being a new player, you're not going to be able to know if you've got a good one or not (or at least not as well as a more experienced player).

the safest option is probably the pacifica 112 T00DEEPBLUE suggested.

The problem is that I can't buy an used guitar, and a new Pacifica costs 205€ ($255), and my budget is 220€ ($275) including amp, so unless I can get a 15€ ($19) amp., buying a Pacifica is impossible for me.

So, out of the guitars in the pool, which one is better: Jackson JS11 or Cort X1?
Also, I wanted more opinions on the Harley Benton's, because they have a lot of cheap guitar models.
Quote by GoncaloCC
The problem is that I can't buy an used guitar, and a new Pacifica costs 205€ ($255), and my budget is 220€ ($275) including amp, so unless I can get a 15€ ($19) amp., buying a Pacifica is impossible for me.

So, out of the guitars in the pool, which one is better: Jackson JS11 or Cort X1?

You can get free modeling software to run on your computer, so if you don't mind playing through your computer for a while I'd spend as much as you can on a good 1st guitar.

Or do you have an Ipad/pod/phone?
something like this could be a good option
www.thomann.de/gb/ik_multimedia_amplitube_irig.htm
Quote by GoncaloCC

Also, I wanted more opinions on the Harley Benton's, because they have a lot of cheap guitar models.

I really think buying a decent guitar to play on is more important at this point. Yeah, not having an amp yet sucks, but you've at least you've got something decent to play on unplugged while you save up your money. I think with learning guitar, getting a decent guitar right out of the gate is more important than anything. Because learning the mechanics of playing guitar, on a cheap guitar that plays like crap is the most common reason why many new players quit.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 2, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I really think buying a decent guitar to play on is more important at this point. Yeah, not having an amp yet sucks, but you've at least you've got something decent to play on unplugged while you save up your money. I think with learning guitar, getting a decent guitar right out of the gate is more important than anything. Because learning the mechanics of playing guitar, on a cheap guitar that plays like crap is the most common reason why many new players quit.

I really can't spend more money, so I'll just have to buy a worse guitar, so I can also buy an amp.

I have been looking at the Harley Benton's and I have found the two most interesting guitars for me. Which do you think it's better? I can't even know the differences between them.

http://www.thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_hbl500wh.htm OR http://www.thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_l450plus_vintage_burst.htm
I'd go with the L-450
Remember at least Thomann has a good return policy so you aren't just stuck if you don't like the guitar.
Quote by GoncaloCC
I really can't spend more money, so I'll just have to buy a worse guitar, so I can also buy an amp.

I have been looking at the Harley Benton's and I have found the two most interesting guitars for me. Which do you think it's better? I can't even know the differences between them.

http://www.thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_hbl500wh.htm OR http://www.thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_l450plus_vintage_burst.htm

I'm not really asking you to spend more money, I'm asking you to buy a Pacifica for now and save up for a practice amp later.
I love Jackson Guitars, but I'm not a fan of the low end ones.

I'd still have to say the HB guitar would be my choice, but I really prefer the LP over the strat shape.
Quote by GoncaloCC

I wouldn't get either of those. Especially buying blindly as you are.
But I'd trust Jackson far more than Harley Benton -- they're usually pretty mediocre guitars, at best.

Where in Portugal do you live?
Depending on the city, I may be able to suggest you a shop that'll hook you up at a good price.
If your mind is already made up and you're pretty immovable on your budget, then get whichever speaks to you. Not long ago I was just going to get a starter set, but I came here first and listened to the wise counsel of its venerable members and opted instead to buy some "gently pre-played" (used) gear.

In the end, I spent about the same as I would have on a starter set, but got a much better instrument and amp. The choice is yours, but if it takes you a couple months to set aside an extra pad to your budget, then just wait it out until you find something that will last well beyond your beginning stage.

That said, I'm a sucker for the Epi's, but that's just me.
It might be a bit out of your price range, but you could also consider this. I have the step up from it, and it plays really well, sounds good through every amp I've played it through (the list isn't long, but still), and has handled every genre I've played on it. LTD also has a pretty solid reputation when it comes to quality.
Quote by Linkerman
I wouldn't get either of those. Especially buying blindly as you are.
But I'd trust Jackson far more than Harley Benton -- they're usually pretty mediocre guitars, at best.

Where in Portugal do you live?
Depending on the city, I may be able to suggest you a shop that'll hook you up at a good price.

I live in Barcelos-
Quote by GoncaloCC
I live in Barcelos-

Contact this store. I think they'd ship to Barcelos cheaply.

Give them a call and tell them what you're looking for and how much you want to spend.
They are extremely compentent, very knowledgeable on gear, the customer service is great and they are cheaper than Thomann/Musicstore in many cases.
Quote by Linkerman
Contact this store. I think they'd ship to Barcelos cheaply.

Give them a call and tell them what you're looking for and how much you want to spend.
They are extremely compentent, very knowledgeable on gear, the customer service is great and they are cheaper than Thomann/Musicstore in many cases.

So the only way to know their prices is calling them?
Quote by SexyBeast810
It might be a bit out of your price range, but you could also consider this. I have the step up from it, and it plays really well, sounds good through every amp I've played it through (the list isn't long, but still), and has handled every genre I've played on it. LTD also has a pretty solid reputation when it comes to quality.

Actually, that guitar plus this amp thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_hb20g, would cost me 225€ with free postage. So maybe, this is an option. Do you consider it better than this guitar thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_l450plus_vintage_burst?

This last guitar, seems to have better woods and has a set-in neck while LTD EC10 has a bolt-on neck.
I asked the SwedishGuitarNerd how he thought the LTD EC10 compared to the Jackson JS11 and his answer was: "In terms of quality and sound I think they are very similar to each other. (They are again probably made at the same factory.) The Jackson is more ergonomic and it's easier to reach the higher frets on that one. On the other hand, the LTD has a more classic look."
So, is the Jackson better?
Last edited by GoncaloCC at Nov 3, 2014,
Quote by GoncaloCC
Actually, that guitar plus this amp thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_hb20g, would cost me 225€ with free postage. So maybe, this is an option. Do you consider it better than this guitar thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_l450plus_vintage_burst?

This last guitar, seems to have better woods and has a set-in neck while LTD EC10 has a bolt-on neck.
I asked the SwedishGuitarNerd how he thought the LTD EC10 compared to the Jackson JS11 and his answer was: "In terms of quality and sound I think they are very similar to each other. (They are again probably made at the same factory.) The Jackson is more ergonomic and it's easier to reach the higher frets on that one. On the other hand, the LTD has a more classic look."
So, is the Jackson better?

Brand preference aside, I would probably choose the LTD, but that's only because I've only played one Jackson (I can't remember the model, but it was something like this). I personally don't really have any problems reaching the highest frets on the LTD, but the Jackson would probably make the task a bit easier.

As far as quality goes, my best guess is that they are probably similar, though I would probably let someone else with a little more knowledge than me confirm that.
Are there more opinions on which guitar is better, the Jackson JS12 or the ESP EC10?
I actually bought the Epiphone Special II as my first guitar about 4 years ago. It's a great guitar, stays in tune well and it was set up great out of the box. I still have it and I still like playing on it from time to time. Sure I notice that it's a bit of cheaper guitar compared to other ones I own but it's a really solid starter instrument that will get you a long way
It seems I will never find the guitar I should or want to buy. I just found another one, but I don't know very well how to compare guitars. In the beginning of this thread I had 3 guitars as options, I still have 3 guitars, just different ones: Jackson JS12, ESP LTD EC10, Ibanez GSA60.

Referring to the Ibanez GSA60, in Thomann's website it says it has a agathis body, but in Ibanez's website it says it has a mahogany body.
Last edited by GoncaloCC at Nov 3, 2014,
You're asking people to recommend the best guitar out of a list, but every guitar on the list is not consistently good enough for anyone to recommend.
If your budget limits you then you're better off just buying the one that looks prettiest and would make you feel most excited about playing.

If you want the wisdom of the forum then you'll find a used pacifica.

You can't have both.
Quote by paul.housley.7
You're asking people to recommend the best guitar out of a list, but every guitar on the list is not consistently good enough for anyone to recommend.
If your budget limits you then you're better off just buying the one that looks prettiest and would make you feel most excited about playing.

If you want the wisdom of the forum then you'll find a used pacifica.

You can't have both.

Yeah, I guess I'll just do what you said. Can anybody just tell which type of body wood Ibanez GSA60 has?
Quote by GoncaloCC
Yeah, I guess I'll just do what you said. Can anybody just tell which type of body wood Ibanez GSA60 has?

Agathis. But really it isn't very relevant because the quality of the woods used in guitars this cheap is poor no matter what wood it is. I wouldn't worry about it.

As Paul has said, this is like asking if it's less painful to burn to death in a fire or in an acid vat. I know that is an exaggeration but it gets the point across that none of the guitars you're thinking of buying are really good enough for us to choose one or the other. Most, if not all of us would save up more money and buy something better later.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 3, 2014,
I feel like I should re-phrase what I said so that I don't sound like as much of a jerk.

I would say it's more like every guitar on your list has the potential to be a decent starter, but it may be worse than a 50/50 chance for some cheap models. By that I mean half of them might be competent guitars that you'll be happy with, and half of them have problems.

Spending more would increase your odds of finding a good one. Most Pacificas are decent. There are plenty of guitars in the 400 to 700$ price range that are most likely going to be a good guitar.

If you can't or don't want to spend enough to get one of the guitars with better odds then you might as well not worry too much about features. Instead you should get the one that catches your eyes. Features aren't as important here. if your first guitar is made of agathis that's okay because it isn't the only guitar you'll ever own. This isn't a decision that needs to be perfect. Just focus on having fun please. Get the fun guitar that you can afford, enjoy it, and later you can get fun guitar number 2.
Page 1 of 2