It is an acoustic by Blue Moon. The guy that gave it to me said it was cheap. Will it be okay to start out with or would a teacher say it is no good for learning? Is it worth spending any money on to improve or would I be better saving for a new better guitar?

Last edited by u6s68 at Nov 2, 2014,
That looks like your standard under $100.00 Chinese dreadnought. And yes, it should be quite suitable for now, and sometime into the future.

It looks like it has plenty of saddle, (the white part in the bridge, near the 6 string pegs), sticking out. That should allow you to have the "action"(*)* adjusted to make playing a lot easier.

So, take it to the music store, and have them look it over to verify whether or not what I've just said is correct.

Either use the money you saved on the guitar to have a tech "setup" the guitar, or if you're handy mechanically, learn to do it yourself. Passage in bold not recommended for a beginning player.

Restring the guitar with nothing heavier than a, "custom light gauge" string set, (.011 to .052). Those will cause you a bit less pain until your fingers toughen up.

I wouldn't worry much about the tone of the guitar. In the beginning you'll likely be getting not a whole lot more than buzzes out of it anyway.

You know, music stores rent guitars to students who don't have their own, so this is a free pass. If you decide you're going to stick with playing, you be'll able to save and shop for a better guitar at your leisure.

If you decide to quit, you won't have to go through the aggravation of selling the darned thing. So, not all together a win/win, but close.

And those damned crappy cell phone pictures piss me off. (I just had to say that, in an effort to live up to my screen name).
Sometimes it's good experience to play a cheap guitar, so you know what to look for in your next one. Personally I wouldn't spend much on it. But having said that, it can be good to have a guitar you grow into so you don't 'outgrow' it too quickly.
I would ask myself, what is the action like? Can I play it without it being too painful too quick? What's the tone like (this will also depend on the strings)?
Follow CaptainCranky on this one. Just because it's a $100 guitar doesn't mean it won't be suitable for a beginner to play. Having the action adjusted will certainly be helpful for you as a beginner.
To echo what others have said. Any guitar is a good guitar to learn on. It's sttill gonna sound like a guitar. The key is to have the action set up properly, low enough so it doesn't kill your fingers.
How much will this jiggery poker cost me? Lessons are going to bleed me dry but this sounds important.
Don't know, I did the research, bought the tools and set my guitars up myself. I believe I've read that a shop charges like $50-$100 to set up a guitar. Lessons don't need to cost you anything. There's zillions of free ones on the net. Check out youtube. Justinguitar and guitarjamz are 2 good places to start but there are many, most of them good.
Quote by rohash
Don't know, I did the research, bought the tools and set my guitars up myself. I believe I've read that a shop charges like $50-$100 to set up a guitar. Lessons don't need to cost you anything. There's zillions of free ones on the net. Check out youtube. Justinguitar and guitarjamz are 2 good places to start but there are many, most of them good.

I was planning on getting a few with a good teacher as I have had a few false starts with the guitar where my progress has halted and I have given up to concentrate on uni etc.
Quote by u6s68
I was planning on getting a few with a good teacher as I have had a few false starts with the guitar where my progress has halted and I have given up to concentrate on uni etc.
My opinion is that you still have to pay for lesson time that you miss. Which is likely to happen with too many other duties/ interests.

You can "take lessons" online at your convenience. You have to take walk in lessons at the convenience of someone else.

Oh yeah, and you get to keep $25.00 (or so) a week in your pocket.

With that said, I'll see your excuse, and raise you my reason.
Quote by Captaincranky
My opinion is that you still have to pay for lesson time that you miss. Which is likely to happen with too many other duties/ interests.

You can "take lessons" online at your convenience. You have to take walk in lessons at the convenience of someone else.

Oh yeah, and you get to keep $25.00 (or so) a week in your pocket.

With that said, I'll see your excuse, and raise you my reason.

A fair point but do you not value the wisdom of a teacher? Perhaps they could keep a guy on track and help to take some of the ambiguity out of the equation. It was such things and a lack of structure that contributed to my past false start. Though a lot of that must be accountable to discipline and not prioritising my music practice as highly as my academic studies and part time work.

I shall take your advice and give it a shot before parting with any money on lessons though so thanks.
Quote by u6s68
A fair point but do you not value the wisdom of a teacher? Perhaps they could keep a guy on track and help to take some of the ambiguity out of the equation. It was such things and a lack of structure that contributed to my past false start. Though a lot of that must be accountable to discipline and not prioritising my music practice as highly as my academic studies and part time work.

I shall take your advice and give it a shot before parting with any money on lessons though so thanks.
I do value a music teacher, and I had a pretty decent specimen. He would show me all the latest songs, and taught me how to learn theory.

Keep in mind that was 50 years ago, back when there was no internet.

But today, you can obtain all the same information, free, and at your convenience using the web.

Other than literally holding your hand and forcing your wrist in to the the proper position.

I went to "college" a few years back, and I'm not certain I could have taken up the guitar while I was doing that. This even in spite of the fact I wasn't working.

Every time I do a spate of posting here at UG, I stop to consider whether or not I've done enough practicing with the instrument, instead of blabbering about it online.

I suppose I'm saying that being a member in a forum, can also help keep you invested your guitar playing.

As far as your prior false starts go, only you van know the truth, as to whether you're making excuses, or are truly a victim of circumstances beyond your control.

Quote by Metalmann67
As far as set-up is concerned, plenty of good videos on YouTube for that........and for free lessons.:

Free Lessons:

http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/lessons.html

Set-up Videos:
OK Metalman, I think your heart is in the right place, but please don't refer beginners to a video about how to setup a Stratocaster. It has virtually nothing to do with setting up and acoustic. (And yes, I'm aware the electric setup is in some ways, more involved).

The following is an acoustic setup guide, and a very good one: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

You can find videos on YouTube about setting up the acoustic. I don't know if I'd recommend going that route first The guide I posted is dead on complete and accurate. If someone reads it first, they might then search for video(s) about the acoustic to support it.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 5, 2014,