I have the new Apogee One for iPad and Mac and if I want to get a stereo sound from the piano, would I have to record it twice and pan it both left and right or is it ok to copy+paste the track across?

Currently I'm running the piano through the line in cuz recording via condenser mic in an apartment isn't really an option at this moment
Quote by ThatGuy_17
would I have to record it twice and pan it both left and right
This way you would have a double tracked piano, but you wouldn't hear a natural sound - the higher notes would have to come from the right a bit and the opposite with the lower notes, and if you double track it you just give the impression of having two pianos, one left and one right relative to the listener, playing the same thing.
Quote by ThatGuy_17
or is it ok to copy+paste the track across?
That way you would have the same exact sound, only 6dB louder.
Or 3dB or whatever depending on your DAW's settings.
Quote by ThatGuy_17
Currently I'm running the piano through the line in
Meaning you're using the headphones out from the piano?

What you would want to do there would be going from the left line out from the piano to one input on the apogee and from the right line out from the piano to the other apogee in.

If your piano doesn't have left and right line outs then get a TRS to two TS jacks converter and use that to go from the headphones out on the piano to both in's on the apogee.
Quote by ThatGuy_17
cuz recording via condenser mic in an apartment isn't really an option at this moment
Why would you do that in the first place if you don't have an acoustic piano?
Actually it's an upright piano but it has a box underneath that can make it "silent"; it means I can listen through headphones so it won't be noisy if I practice at night. The box has 2 headphones out (1/4") and 1 line out (1/8").

My apogee on the other hand only has 1 (1/4") input and 1 XLR input so I'm wondering would it still be possible to record in stereo or is it not feasible?
Oooh, it's a one, sorry, for some reason I thought it was a two.

In this case you can use one mic to record one side and the one's mic to record the other side.
No other way of doing that though.
You can record one mono track, then double it and cut the highs on one (then pan left) cut the lows on the other (pan right) and you have a poor man's stereo piano!
Haha no worries, I wish it was a duet too! Maybe I should sell the One and settle back for a focusrite 2i4 and add a midi-controller instead; oh how life is full glorious options...
Quote by ThatGuy_17
Haha no worries, I wish it was a duet too! Maybe I should sell the One and settle back for a focusrite 2i4 and add a midi-controller instead; oh how life is full glorious options...

Used duets come in pretty cheap and hold up well. Worth it!