Hi

I am looking at the TC Electronic BH500 along with two cabs. The options are

2 BC410s
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/tc-electronic-bh500-bc410-with-free-bc410-cab

1 BC410 and 1 BC212
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/tc-electronic-bh500-bc410-with-free-bc212-cab

Which one should I go for and why?

I am new to bass playing and this gear is for gigging. Either small venues 200 people or pubs.

I have a smaller combo amp for home practise.

Regards
Don't mix the cabs.

I'd either go with a pair of 410s or a pair of 212s.
TC Electronic doesn't really publish a good set of specs (leastways not one that I would buy from), but the 410s are 4 ohm cabinets. and the pair of them present a 2 ohm load to the amp. If it's stable at that load, then you'll get the max power out of the amp. The 212s are 8 ohm cabinets, and a pair of them will present a 4 ohm load to the amp, which will probably put out about half (or a bit more) power to that load. Further, the 2x12s are 250W cabinets, the 4x10 will handle 500W.

TC Electronic is not publishing frequency response characteristics for any of that gear (!), but you'll probably find that a 4x10 will actually go just as low as a 2x12 or a 1x15 (don't fall into the beginner trap of listening with your eyes -- the size of a speaker cone has absolutely nothing to do with how low it can go).

The pair of 410s are going to be about 60-65 lbs each to load in, (and the head is another 30 lbs) but honestly, you'll probably find that a single cabinet will do for the majority of your gigs.

I'm running a bass amp head that weighs 10 lbs but that puts out 1500W to a 4 ohm load (Carvin BX1500) and a pair of fEARful 15/6/1's, each of which is an 8 ohm cabinet that will handle about 900W (they weigh in at around 50 lbs). Since the BX1500 puts out 900W@8 ohms, bridged, mono, it's a good match for that single cabinet, and an excellent match when I'm running two cabinets.
Quote by dspellman
Don't mix the cabs.

I'd either go with a pair of 410s or a pair of 212s.
TC Electronic doesn't really publish a good set of specs (leastways not one that I would buy from), but the 410s are 4 ohm cabinets. and the pair of them present a 2 ohm load to the amp. If it's stable at that load, then you'll get the max power out of the amp. The 212s are 8 ohm cabinets, and a pair of them will present a 4 ohm load to the amp, which will probably put out about half (or a bit more) power to that load. Further, the 2x12s are 250W cabinets, the 4x10 will handle 500W.

TC Electronic is not publishing frequency response characteristics for any of that gear (!), but you'll probably find that a 4x10 will actually go just as low as a 2x12 or a 1x15 (don't fall into the beginner trap of listening with your eyes -- the size of a speaker cone has absolutely nothing to do with how low it can go).

The pair of 410s are going to be about 60-65 lbs each to load in, (and the head is another 30 lbs) but honestly, you'll probably find that a single cabinet will do for the majority of your gigs.

I'm running a bass amp head that weighs 10 lbs but that puts out 1500W to a 4 ohm load (Carvin BX1500) and a pair of fEARful 15/6/1's, each of which is an 8 ohm cabinet that will handle about 900W (they weigh in at around 50 lbs). Since the BX1500 puts out 900W@8 ohms, bridged, mono, it's a good match for that single cabinet, and an excellent match when I'm running two cabinets.

^ This

That head also has a DI, so you won't have to carry around an extra cab if you don't want. My personal suggestion would be go with the 410 cabs. But, looking at the head it's rated at 4 ohms.
Last edited by ronhoward at Nov 2, 2014,
Quote by ronhoward
^ This

That head also has a DI, so you won't have to carry around an extra cab if you don't want. My personal suggestion would be go with the 410 cabs. But, looking at the head it's rated at 4 ohms.

Will it even work at 2 ohms?

Here's how the BX1500 is rated:

2 power amps deliver

300w at 8 ohm,
450w at 4 ohms, and
750w at 2 ohm each or

900w at 8 ohm bridged mono or
1500w at 4 ohms bridged mono

*Edit: According to the BH500 user manual, TWO 4-ohm cabinets can be used IF they are TC Electronic cabinets. If another brand, ONE 4-ohm cabinet can be used. Curious, that.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 2, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
Will it even work at 2 ohms?

It wouldn't.

Quote by dspellman
*Edit: According to the BH500 user manual, TWO 4-ohm cabinets can be used IF they are TC Electronic cabinets. If another brand, ONE 4-ohm cabinet can be used. Curious, that.

That's odd, don't think I've seen that before.
Where are you going to be playing? I'd think two 4x10's is serious overkill for most UK venues!

I heard the TC rig with two 2x10's recently and it did sound very good, a nice tight focussed sound and great value at the prices Andertons and Dawsons are quoting. A single 2x10 would frankly be loud enough for most gigs, so 2x10's or 2x12's would be my choice BUT these cabs are going to be plenty loud enough so choose on the basis of how they sound. Audition them and choose the one that sounds best to you.
Quote by Phil Starr
Where are you going to be playing? I'd think two 4x10's is serious overkill for most UK venues!

+1

I don't see the need for two cabs of this size in most situations. If the venue is big enough that you'd need to be that loud, they're sure to have their own FOH gear that should diminish any of the workload your backline would otherwise have.

Quote by Metalmann67
Used to play through 2 of these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ampeg-SVT-810E-Bass-Enclosure-100148305-i1145702.gc

Smaller clubs, would only handle one cabinet.

IOWs, do not skimp on Bass Amps or speakers.

That is insanely overkill.
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Nov 4, 2014,
Quote by Metalmann67
Used to play through 2 of these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ampeg-SVT-810E-Bass-Enclosure-100148305-i1145702.gc

Smaller clubs, would only handle one cabinet.

IOWs, do not skimp on Bass Amps or speakers.

That's a bit of a butt-breaker to haul around. Those cabinets can easily weigh 130 lbs, and I don't think they'll fit in the backseat of a Honda Civic <G>. What was the power in the amp head you were using?
Dear All

I had a practice session today with a Hartke LH500 and an Ashdown 4 x 10. The band plays covers -- Neil Young, RS, CCR etc. This was a large practice room around 10 X 10 metres. While the bass was solid standing next to the cab, it was quite weak the moment you stepped around halfway across the room. I had a long lead and walked over to the other side and noted this. The gain and master were turned all the way up. We didn't have a PA system in the room -- only monitors. The guitarist wanted the bass all cranked up as he couldn't hear it loud enough. He was playing an 18 watt Marshall amp. I don't think 2 X 410 cabs are a bad idea. It gives you options. Though at the end of the day it is down to the size of the venue and the balancing of sound between guitar amps and PA.
Quote by kbspam
Dear All

I had a practice session today with a Hartke LH500 and an Ashdown 4 x 10. The band plays covers -- Neil Young, RS, CCR etc. This was a large practice room around 10 X 10 metres. While the bass was solid standing next to the cab, it was quite weak the moment you stepped around halfway across the room. I had a long lead and walked over to the other side and noted this. The gain and master were turned all the way up. We didn't have a PA system in the room -- only monitors. The guitarist wanted the bass all cranked up as he couldn't hear it loud enough. He was playing an 18 watt Marshall amp. I don't think 2 X 410 cabs are a bad idea. It gives you options. Though at the end of the day it is down to the size of the venue and the balancing of sound between guitar amps and PA.

My setup is plenty loud enough for small gigs where it's not ran through the pa. But it also has a built in DI, which makes life so much easier. I'm pushing 400 watts @ 8 ohms. I will probably add another cab just for the range, I don't need much more wattage.
Ok so the BH500 amp is a true 250w RMS at 4 ohms. This is plenty through an efficient cab.
http://service.tcgroup.tc/media/tc-electronic-power-rating-and-active-power-management.pdf

Personally I think the days of dragging around refrigerator rigs are over. I would get an 8 ohm 2x10 and an 8 ohm 1x15 all with neo speakers. Small gigs just bring one cab of your choice. Medium gigs bring both cabs. Wembley Stadium bring both cabs and run direct to the mixing desk as well. Pro rig done!