On paper they sound like what I am looking for but I am wondering if they would actually pair up well with the particular body/wood of my guitars. For example I have EMGs in my ESP MH-1000 and they sound great but when i put them in my Ibanez S they sounded very thin and trebly. As far as tone goes I am pretty much looking for that big 80"s distortion tone. The EMGs are not bad in my ESP but I am looking for something a little warmer to handle cleans and solos. I am a big fan of the tone the guitarist from Steel Panther gets. I know he uses JBs so I am thinking they might do the trick in my guitars.

The two guitars in question:
what amp(s) are you using? and any pedals?

unfortunately the answer is "maybe". the JB does pretty decently for that 80s type of tone, but it seems to be a bit random as to which guitars it sounds good in for some reason.

EDIT: It might be a bit muddy in the bass for the PRS. it's mahogany, right?

I find the JB works best (in my limited experience) for those 80s type of tones in alder superstrats. mahogany thickens them up but as i said, can get too muddy on the bass.
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 2, 2014,
I'd put the JB in the PRS and a Custom custom or Dimarzio Super distortion in the Ibanez
Definitely think the Ibanez would be a better fit for the JB, and I'd even take a step further to say a JB/59' classic combo. Agreed with Dave_Mc on the PRS bit. The only JB I've really dug in a guitar of that style is the ESP EC-1000.
^ The one in my edwards LP sounds pretty good, but its bass isn't super-tight, and it just sounds more like a generic hard rock type of tone, rather than 80s/hair metal. A duncan distortion might be a better call for the PRS (though there are probably better options than it, it's not super-versatile).
I have EMGs in my ESP MH-1000 and they sound great but when i put them in my Ibanez S they sounded very thin and trebly
This sounds more like a wiring problem.
Quote by Danustar
This sounds more like a wiring problem.

I was thinking this as well ....... I have found emgs make every guitar sound pretty much the same with only shades of difference
Yeah that does sound like wiring. Also, remember if your using different pots and caps it will make a big difference.
Quote by conanwarrior
Yeah that does sound like wiring. Also, remember if your using different pots and caps it will make a big difference.

caps will only make a difference when the tone control is actually being used. When the tone knob is all the way on 10, the tone control is more or less bypassed.