Page 1 of 2
Yeah Buzzfeed sucks. List of things, often accompanied by gifs. Little to no actual journalistic values and the lists are usually rubbish anyway.
I've seen plenty of these in UG articles section lately too...or has it always been so...
Poor man's Cracked.

And by poor man's Cracked, I mean 'easily impressed, infantile, possible low income and sperm count' man's Cracked.
The worst things are gifs of someone saying something that doesn't include the entire phrase as written.
i think i already made a thread mocking buzzfeed. cracked is also awful

everything is awful generally
Quote by Eastwinn
i think i already made a thread mocking buzzfeed. cracked is also awful

everything is awful generally

especially you

A lot of people complain about it. It's really not that bad. It's definitely an easy way to waste some time if you're bored.
Quote by daytripper75

A lot of people complain about it. It's really not that bad. It's definitely an easy way to waste some time if you're bored.

I agree. I've never read any articles but I watch their youtube videos when I've run out of good youtube to watch and they keep me mildly entertained.
I made a thread about buzzfeed sucking in April and it got locked because everyone started flaming Ian the Fox. I'd call it a success.
Buzzfeed's like that guy who could be pretty cool to hang out with, but he thinks he's a huge deal and makes sure everyone knows it and has a much bigger bark than bite.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Poor man's Cracked.

And by poor man's Cracked, I mean 'easily impressed, infantile, possible low income and sperm count' man's Cracked.

Cracked's abuse of "5 unbelievable/mindblowing/____" is annoying as well, although Cracked actually has content and with some of their better articles, can actually live up to the article name.
Quote by Br0c00ler
Cracked's abuse of "5 unbelievable/mindblowing/____" is annoying as well, although Cracked actually has content and with some of their better articles, can actually live up to the article name.

I used to really like Cracked and learn a lot of things from it's articles but just got bored of it over time, it was very hit and miss but at least the articles look like they took more than 5 minutes to write.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I used to really like Cracked and learn a lot of things from it's articles but just got bored of it over time, it was very hit and miss but at least the articles look like they took more than 5 minutes to write.

I used to read pretty much every article on there as long as the general topic interested me.

These days I just go on and look at what the bullet points for their 'top 5' lists are and leave. A lot of it has dropped in quality, a lot of the information isn't as accurate or well researched as it used to be and they're going the 'BuzzFeed' way of trying to drag things out across as many pages as they can for more views.

I think there's only like 2 regular writers at Cracked now where I still often read their articles.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

'Learn' is a bit strong word to use. You were made aware of stuff. If anything, it has contributed to burning up your attention span
Quote by Cianyx
'Learn' is a bit strong word to use. You were made aware of stuff. If anything, it has contributed to burning up your attention span

or, most likely, completely misinforming you. the amount of fringe theories on that site make me want to die.
Quote by Cianyx

There's a lot of pub quiz type trivia you learned there. Obviously nothing academic but nice stuff to know.
lol we all know you never retain any information you've obtained on the internet. This is why Wikipedia hasn't replaced degrees yet.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
#realtalk disliking things is so teenage angsty, letting go of that negativity is the best thing you will do, focus on the things you love not the things you dislike

lol
or, as an example of something i'm interested in and therefore unreasonably offended about, they had an article a while back about things you don't picture correctly. like dinosaurs with feathers or whatever.

one of the items was ancient greek sculpture which they claim was always painted. i had numerous problems with the short entry:
1) there are tons of types of greek sculpture and it was clear the person writing it was only half way familiar with a few archaic metope reliefs and classical life sized figures.
2) they did not mention the prevalence of roman copies
3) they didn't discuss metal casting in the context of sculpture
4) they didn't discuss the literal and figurative white washing performed by europeans, especially british, who identified greeks as their cultural predecessors

they had the perfect opportunity to explain why, and really why, the average jane's perception of ancient greek art is wrong as hell but instead settled for "lol look at these painted ones! terrible primary colors!"
Quote by Eastwinn
or, as an example of something i'm interested in and therefore unreasonably offended about, they had an article a while back about things you don't picture correctly. like dinosaurs with feathers or whatever.

one of the items was ancient greek sculpture which they claim was always painted. i had numerous problems with the short entry:
1) there are tons of types of greek sculpture and it was clear the person writing it was only half way familiar with a few archaic metope reliefs and classical life sized figures.
2) they did not mention the prevalence of roman copies
3) they didn't discuss metal casting in the context of sculpture
4) they didn't discuss the literal and figurative white washing performed by europeans, especially british, who identified greeks as their cultural predecessors

they had the perfect opportunity to explain why, and really why, the average jane's perception of ancient greek art is wrong as hell but instead settled for "lol look at these painted ones! terrible primary colors!"

nerd
Yeah but you can learn something like about the deadliest ice hockey game ever and win £10 on the pub quiz down your local boozer
mmmmm i don't think so but as you'll see i only have three interests

1) emo music; knapsack
2) archaeology; ancient greece
3) math; shapes but no shape in particular

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Yeah but you can learn something like about the deadliest ice hockey game ever and win £10 on the pub quiz down your local boozer

only thing i'd do at my local boozer is start a fire.
Last edited by Eastwinn at Nov 2, 2014,
Page 1 of 2