I'm getting a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet. I need a clean boost that will purely boost the volume; with adding as minimal of gain as possible. Would a Soul Food work well for this? How much additional gain would be added if the volume was all the way up and the gain all the way down? Also approximately how many extra db's would the Soul Food produce?

Thanks in advance.
The whole point of the dual switch Fulldrive is to give you that clean boost with the OD. I don't see a point in buying another clean boost to stack with a Fulldrive when it's already got one built in.

Depending on your amp and setup you might not benefit at all from a clean boost. What are you hoping to achieve and what's your rig so far?
From what I've heard, the FF2 boost adds a bunch of gain. I don't want that. I just want a pure volume boost. Just wondering if the SF would help me get that straight volume.

I'm playing a telecaster HH through a Mustang III (Twin Preset.)
Quote by Roc8995
The whole point of the dual switch Fulldrive is to give you that clean boost with the OD. I don't see a point in buying another clean boost to stack with a Fulldrive when it's already got one built in.

Depending on your amp and setup you might not benefit at all from a clean boost. What are you hoping to achieve and what's your rig so far?

the fulldrive 2 has the boost before the overdrive. the fulldrive 3 is the one with the order switch.
I have the SoulFood, as a clean boost it works well if the amp is pretty clean. If it is already pretty driven it doesn't have a ton of head room. For example I use it on my Marshall JVM Clean and Crunch channels, excellent but once you switch to OD 1 or OD2 (which you really don't need an OD pedal anyway) but the SoulFood is a non factor on those channels.
Are you getting your distortion purely from a pedal, or is your pedal boosting your already distorted amp?

If the former, you can put a boost after the dirt pedal. For pure volume boost with no grit or coloration, look at the CAE MC-401 and the BBE Boosta Grande. The CAE is slightly cleaner, but the BBE is cheaper. There's been a few iterations - ignore the old fat ones (graphic & blue/silver ones). The new skinny white & brown one is one you should go for.

If the latter, you'll need to put the boost in the FX loop to get the volume boost effect without just increasing your gain (distortion). If your amp doesn't have an FX loop, you're pretty much out of luck for what you want to do.
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 3, 2014,
Quote by GaryBillington
If you want a clean boost pedal, why not buy a clean boost pedal?

Check out the TC Spark

I'd agree if you're talking the price of the original klon (i never understood why people would pay £300 for an OD which sounded like a clean boost when they could just buy a clean boost), but for the price of the soul food I'd say it's worth considering when you consider most clean boost pedals aren't any cheaper. plus the soul food can do OD as well and it has a nice buffer in there too (and the option of true bypass as well).

though if the fulldrive will already do the clean boost thing (i haven't tried it) i agree with colin, not sure there's all that much point. of course, if you just have random, pointless GAS for something you don't need, that's something I can get behind 100%.

Quote by Dazzl1113
I have the SoulFood, as a clean boost it works well if the amp is pretty clean. If it is already pretty driven it doesn't have a ton of head room. For example I use it on my Marshall JVM Clean and Crunch channels, excellent but once you switch to OD 1 or OD2 (which you really don't need an OD pedal anyway) but the SoulFood is a non factor on those channels.

that'll be the case with all clean boosts. it's not the soul food that has no headroom, it's the amp, in that scenario.
Quote by swagbag123
I need a clean boost that will purely boost the volume; with adding as minimal of gain as possible. (a) Would a Soul Food work well for this? (b) How much additional gain would be added if the volume was all the way up and the gain all the way down? (c) Also approximately how many extra db's would the Soul Food produce?

Thanks in advance.

(a) yeah

(b) a fair bit, but it's not going to turn a fender twin into a 6505 either

(c) not sure. I'm guessing someone somewhere would know how much boost a klon has on tap, but I don't