I've been using the black jazz III's with the grip for a while now, and kind of randomly decided to get back to a fender medium for fun. I think they're .88 but I'm not positive. For whatever reason, although I get a sharper attack and tone out of the jazz III, the fender medium just feels better.

I've often heard it said that for speed picking, you want a thicker pick so that the pick doesn't bend during your attack and cause you speed. This makes perfect sense from a physics and economy of motion standpoint. I've tried using full size heavier picks, like the dunlop 1.14's with the grip, and the tortex 1.14's, but for whatever reason, they just don't feel like they connect with the string n the "brushing" fashion that I like.

My question is, will it really be that detrimental to my picking to play with .88's? Are there other known fast players who play with thinner picks?
Generally thicker picks are recommended, but DEFINITELY not necessary. There are plenty and plenty of guitarists who do without them. If you like your fender medium's then keep using them.
Well Paul Gilbert uses 0.60 picks so use whatever you are comfortable with. Different picks will also produce different tone, personally I would pay more attention to the tone, with enough practice you will be able to pick fast with any pick anyway.

I like the tone of a thick pick (1.00+) on the thin strings but I dont like its tone on the low strings because the pick doesnt bend and has way too much attack. Vice versa I like thin picks on the low strings but they lack attack on the high strings... You have to find a good compromise and of course the shape of the pick is very important so just buy a bunch and try them out.
Quote by tappooh
Well Paul Gilbert uses 0.60 picks so use whatever you are comfortable with. Different picks will also produce different tone, personally I would pay more attention to the tone, with enough practice you will be able to pick fast with any pick anyway.

I like the tone of a thick pick (1.00+) on the thin strings but I dont like its tone on the low strings because the pick doesnt bend and has way too much attack. Vice versa I like thin picks on the low strings but they lack attack on the high strings... You have to find a good compromise and of course the shape of the pick is very important so just buy a bunch and try them out.

Haha, I have the exact opposite preference with the .88's. I love the brushy quality they give the lower strings, but they don't do the higher strings as much justice as the 1.14 jazz III's.
I think it would be better to play with what you feel most comfortable with. Continue to experiment.
There are quite a few players that play with slimmer picks. I found I naturally migrated to the 1.5, 1.14 and Jazz III picks.
Jazz III picks are awesome.
From what I've seen there's a lot of guitarists who do not use very pick thicks, and many rock/metal guitarists seem to stick around 0.8-1 mm which is pretty medium. As far as I know Tosin Abasi uses 0.8 mm and I don't think you need a better example of technical skill :P I think the Periphery guys use really thin stuff as well, I remember Misha mentioning something like 0.47 or something?

Also in my opinion thinner picks just sound better. I really enjoy the Jazz III picks for heavier playing as they're very comfortable for fast/aggressive stuff, but I always end up returning to my 0.8 mm Black Ice as paradoxically it sounds fatter since the attack is not so bright and it sounds incomparably better for chords and lighter playing.
A picks tip shape has more to do with tone than thickness (at least from 80mm-180mm)
I personally use the small Dava picks. My guitar instructor got me hooked on them, and only use those now. Excellent grip and the sound is best I heard compared to any pick I have used thus far.