Hello, UG Forum. I was just wondering if I'd damage my acoustic guitar if I put 14-59 gauge strings on it, and played in open E minor. Also, would it be okay in E standard? Thank you for reading.
It's hard to say for sure without looking at your actual guitar. If I were you and I wanted to be careful, I'd have a luthier at a guitar shop give it a look over to make sure the nack and the bridge can handle the string tension.

That said, 14's are not absurdly heavy for acoustic, though it's rare to see low E's higher than 56. Maybe take the gauges down a bit on the bottom end and try that.

If you're looking to get custom string gauges and play around with it a bit, you can create custom string sets at Stringjoy.
Why do you want them so thick? Are you going for a specific sound / feel?

However, I would say that acoustic guitars can most likely handle any strings that aren't too ridiculously large. If you could lower the string gauge to be sure and not effect anything, no harm in that if you're paranoid about damaging your guitar.
I wouldn't put 14-59 on any of my flattops, even in E standard, due to the risk of structural damage. - The whole guitar can go banana-shaped, causing a higher action and possibly major repairs such as (expensive, even if feasible) neck resets. My rule of thumb is 13-56 for standard tuning, 12-52 or a little heavier for open E.

You might also consider that heavier strings don't always mean better tone. It depends on the guitar, and some just get choked by the heavier strings
Quote by TylerKSchrute
Why do you want them so thick? Are you going for a specific sound / feel?

However, I would say that acoustic guitars can most likely handle any strings that aren't too ridiculously large. If you could lower the string gauge to be sure and not effect anything, no harm in that if you're paranoid about damaging your guitar.

Well, I was buying new guitar strings for my acoustic and I wasn't sure what kind to get. I was going to be playing in Open E minor a good amount of the time, and I wasn't sure if the heavies would be a good idea or not. But I ordered them anyway, and now I need to find different guitar strings.
I used to use 12's on my cheapo acoustic, tuned to G standard I think. It lasted a year before showing signs of structural damage. If yours is built well then it should handle it, although i wouldn't personally bother going beyond 10's in E standard tuning.