I'm at uni and I'm looking for an electric guitar amp that's relatively quiet.

I already own a roland cube 40XL and I like the tone and the variety you can get from it but its just too big (and loud) to bring to uni so I'm looking for a smaller alternative, it doesnt have to be from the cube line I just already know i like them so it seems a safe bet unless you can suggest something better

My budget is ~£100 and I play a pretty big variety of stuff from metal to chilled out clean stuff.

I'm not too sure which of the 10GX or the micro cube would be best for me in terms of volume/tone/variety.

Anyone with any experience with anything around this price would be super helpful thanks

oh and (long shot) is there anything with a looper for around this price?
Quote by Guitar137335
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 20w, Never played one but demos I've heard sound pretty decent.

is 20W not a bit too loud? I'm still living in halls so noise is something I'm being fairly conscious about
I love my micro-cube.
You might like the yamaha THR. They're small and they look terrific.

http://www.guitarworld.com/review-yamaha-thr10c-and-thr10x-combo-amps

As long as you're buying solid state amps (all of the ones mentioned so far are solid state) then there's no need to worry about having too many watts. They'll all have volume knobs that will do the job.

Now i do have to admit that even my micro-cube doesn't do high-gain stuff unless it's turned up at least a little bit, but if you get one of these little battery powered amps then you can practice outdoors. Take your hat with you and pretend you're busking. Bonus.
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Nov 3, 2014,
Quote by paul.housley.7
I love my micro-cube.
You might like the yamaha THR. They're small and they look terrific.

http://www.guitarworld.com/review-yamaha-thr10c-and-thr10x-combo-amps

As long as you're buying solid state amps (all of the ones mentioned so far are solid state) then there's no need to worry about having too many watts. They'll all have volume knobs that will do the job.

Now i do have to admit that even my micro-cube doesn't do high-gain stuff unless it's turned up at least a little bit, but if you get one of these little battery powered amps then you can practice outdoors. Take your hat with you and pretend you're busking. Bonus.

yamaha is unfortunately about twice my budget so that's a no-go.
High gain tones are pretty important (metal is probably my most played genre)