I want to buy a les paul but I don't have the money to buy a gibson, and I saw that ESP Edwards made Les Pauls at a better price, but i have never heard of them.. What do you know about Edwards? Are they good/realiable?
Quote by marcojmc29
I want to buy a les paul but I don't have the money to buy a gibson, and I saw that ESP Edwards made Les Pauls at a better price, but i have never heard of them.. What do you know about Edwards? Are they good/realiable?

Edwards are great. They're ESP Standards without the ESP branding and usually for the Japanese market only.
^ I don't think they're really ESP standards, at least in most instances. At least some of the models are started off in China and finished off in Japan (I've heard some rumours that that may be true for some of the ESP standards too, but ).

Nice guitars, though, at least if mine's anything to go by. Just don't get blinded by the hype and pay way too much. I paid around what an epiphone les paul standard would cost (several years ago when the yen was weak). For that kind of money it's pretty sweet.
Quote by Fisheth24
Edwards are great. They're ESP Standards without the ESP branding and usually for the Japanese market only.

Not technically.

I own an ESP Eclipse II and used to have an Edwards E-LP-92SD. The ESP is significantly thinner in the body more geared towards metal and hard rock. The Edwards line is much more traditional and was almost identical to the Gibsons I've owned, and far cheaper.

In the end, I stuck with the ESP because I liked the slightly different body style and the thinner neck, but the ESP was a wonderful instrument that I'd definitely recommend to anyone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I don't think they're really ESP standards, at least in most instances. At least some of the models are started off in China and finished off in Japan (I've heard some rumours that that may be true for some of the ESP standards too, but ).

Nice guitars, though, at least if mine's anything to go by. Just don't get blinded by the hype and pay way too much. I paid around what an epiphone les paul standard would cost (several years ago when the yen was weak). For that kind of money it's pretty sweet.

If I remember correctly its something like this: Navigator is the highest quality line of ESP's Gibson knockoffs, Edwards is the middle ground (and still fantastic quality) and Grass Roots is the Epiphone equivalent.

*edit* Yup, I checked. Navigator is the 100% Japanese ESP quality and also costs an arm and leg. Edwards is done outside of Japan (China or Korea) to reduce the cost but still top quality. Grass Roots is the cheap line for beginners.
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 3, 2014,
a good navigator will cost you more than most gibsons, and for good reason.

the Edwards guitars i've played have all been very high quality. very nice guitars especially for the money.

another one to consider if you can locate one is a bacchus. the mij bacchus guitars are ridiculous for the money.
Quote by MaaZeus
If I remember correctly its something like this: Navigator is the highest quality line of ESP's Gibson knockoffs, Edwards is the middle ground (and still fantastic quality) and Grass Roots is the Epiphone equivalent.

*edit* Yup, I checked. Navigator is the 100% Japanese ESP quality and also costs an arm and leg. Edwards is done outside of Japan (China or Korea) to reduce the cost but still top quality. Grass Roots is the cheap line for beginners.

yeah, but i think some of the edwards work is done in japan

Quote by Ippon

LOL I see you got the tesco carrier bag soft case as well

Quote by Fisheth24
Thanks for the correction guys, wouldn't want to spout misinformation!

no worries it's not like everything I post is always (or even often ) right, either. I cringe when I think of some of my old posts, just going back to correct them all would take me the rest of my life
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 3, 2014,
It says ESP in the soft bag but now it's in a better Gibson case.

Other MIJ LP copies with the proper open book headstocks:

Quote by Ippon
It says ESP in the soft bag but now it's in a better Gibson case.

yeah mine too says esp. awful case. I just keep my guitars on stands, though.
So are you guys saying Edwards aren't all Japanese? I thought they were ESP's under a different brand name?
Quote by Fisheth24
So are you guys saying Edwards aren't all Japanese? I thought they were ESP's under a different brand name?

The newer models are pre-assembled in China and finished off in Japan according to a bunch of forum posts here and elsewhere.
Quote by Ippon
The newer models are pre-assembled in China and finished off in Japan according to a bunch of forum posts here and elsewhere.

And ESP are doing the same and sticking MIJ on the back?
Not sure about the different models.

For example, my LTD SC607B and SC608B say MIK. The ESP Stef B7 says Japan.
Quote by Ippon

Yeah. There was a post on the tokai forum along those lines, and maybe on MLP as well, I think.

Quote by Fisheth24
And ESP are doing the same and sticking MIJ on the back?

I'm not sure. I remember (i think ) Colin (the moderator here) said a shop told him that the Fender copies were, but I'm not sure if it was true or not- I've certainly been told plenty of dubious things in shops.

FWIW I've seen Edwardses with MIJ on the back, and without MIJ (newer models in both instances). And I think it was only the early Edwardses which were 100% MIJ (and maybe a few of the high-end current models), but I could be wrong.
Quote by Ippon
Mango LP (click)!

yeah, that's not MIJ. that's MIP. not saying that's bad, just that the seller may have been mistaken, or on the BS. i sent him a message to let him know.

the "P" at the start of the serial number is how you can tell. an "H" would be a MIJ bacchus.

this one, is a bargain.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bacchus-LP-Classic-/301378124088?pt=Guitar&hash=item462b893938

the seller is a member at MLP and it could be purchased there for a bit less. i thought about grabbing that one but i still have a LP in repair.
i want the V. but not at 750 plus shipping.

and these things aren't showing up cheap on yj just yet.

TS - oh yeah, les pauls, great stuff. buy the blue bacchus.