Hi! I Want to buy a new guitar, but right now my mind is between a Jackson soloist and a schecter hellraiser. What would you recomend?
Buy the one that feels better to you. Audition both through an amp that you have or plan to buy.

"Soloist" refers to a Jackson body shape, which is available in tons of models, ranging anywhere from like <$500 to several thousand dollars.

"Hellraiser" refers to a specific guitar line from Schecter. Not a specific body shape. Available currently in 2 different shapes (and several others at various points in the last few years), Hellraisers all have EMG 81tw/89r pickups, mahogany bodies, quilt maple tops if you get a transparent finish, and Floyd Rose 1000 bridges, unless you go hardtail. They also all share certain visual elements, such as the same binding, finish options, and fret inlays. And they're all $800-$900, depending on whether you get the Floyd (or more for 7+ strings).

So.... yeah. "Schecter Hellraiser" is a very specific option, while "Jackson Soloist" is about as vague as simply saying "Strat" or "Tele". That is to say, there's a massive range of options. So, depending on which Soloist model you're looking at, it may be a much worse guitar than a Hellraiser, might be comparable, or it might be far above and beyond a Hellraiser.

But yeah, like Ippon said, try them. Don't order a guitar online unless it's literally your only option. Go to a local shop and play the guitars. Buy the one that feels and sounds the way you want. I'm guessing that if you're looking at a Jackson Soloist that is in the same price range as a Schecter Hellraiser, it's probably a Pro Series model. If that's the case, they're very comparable guitars, when it comes down to just the value of the materials and hardware that's used. The differences are going to be subjective things that you'll have to compare yourself. Such as, the Jackson has passive SD pickups and an Ebony fretboard with a compound radius, while the Schecter has active EMGs, and a standard shaped Rosewood fretboard.

Personally, I'd recommend the Hellraiser because I already have one and I love it, plus I'm just a big Schecter fan. Although, we just got in a Pro Series Soloist at the store I work in, and it's quite nice. If I were going to buy a Jackson, that'd be the one.
Prefer the Schechter myself, but as always: if you can't try it, don't buy it. It's better to try a few guitars and select one you really like rather than spending your money on a guitar you overhyped from reputation. It's your money, so do as you please, but just a word of advice.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Which Jackson Soloist and which Schecter Hellraiser?

+1
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Which Jackson Soloist and which Schecter Hellraiser?

Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

And plus 1.
I would take almost any Jackson over any Schecter. But I'm a biased prick with irrational tendencies.
Quote by gorgthemeatpile
I would take almost any Jackson over any Schecter. But I'm a biased prick with irrational tendencies.

Not really. Jackson pro's are nice guitars.
Only an X series? Then pretty much any Hellraiser would be better.

Maybe if it was a pro series the Jackson would be better imho.
Quote by tanrambo
Thxs everyone for responding so quickly! I was thinking about this soloist http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitars/soloist/models/slattxmg3-6-soloist-rosewood-fingerboard-cobalt-blue/.

besides the body shape, does someone knows the diffenrences between the hellraiser c-1 and the solo-II ? also the difference between hellraiser, hellraiser extreme, and hellraiser hybrid?

Played a SlattXmg, was among one of the worst guitars I've ever played. I must have got an awful one though as I own another separate guitar from the X series which is pretty nice.
Quote by tanrambo

besides the body shape, does someone knows the diffenrences between the hellraiser c-1 and the solo-II ? also the difference between hellraiser, hellraiser extreme, and hellraiser hybrid?

Hellraiser: EMG 89/81, set neck, rosewood fretboard
Hellraiser Extreme: EMG 89/81, neck-thru, Ebony or Maple fretboard
Hellraiser Hybrid: EMG 66/57, set neck, Ebony board

The rest seem to just be visuals, Type of finish and Binding inlays. All come with options for TOM bridge or Floyd
Quote by tanrambo
Thxs everyone for responding so quickly! I was thinking about this soloist http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitars/soloist/models/slattxmg3-6-soloist-rosewood-fingerboard-cobalt-blue/.

There is no difference between a Hellraiser C-1 and a Hellraiser Solo-II except for the body shape. That's the way that Schecter names their product lines. C-1, Solo 6, Solo-II, Tempest, Avenger, and PT refer to their body shapes, while Hellraiser, Blackjack, Omen, Banshee, etc. refer to collections which are defined by shared specs, and usually available in at least a couple different shapes.

Hellraiser Extreme and Hellraiser Hybrid are different lines, and do have different specs. The Extreme gets upgraded to a neck-thru body (regular Hellraiser is set-neck), and is available with either Ebony or Maple fingerboards (regular HR is Rosewood). The Hybrid has different fret inlays, carbon fiber binding (which looks sweet), EMG's new 57/66 pickup set (rather than the 81tw/89r of the regular HR), and also has a thinner neck than the other Hellraisers, with a compound radius.

And yeah, like TooDeep noted, if you're looking at an X Series Jackson, any Hellraiser is going to be a higher end guitar, with better hardware and materials. A Pro Series Jackson would be much more comparable. Now, whether or not better hardware and materials will translate to a "better" sound or feel to you, personally, is going to be up to you. Again, just try the guitars before you buy, if that's a possibility.
Quote by jaymz9350
Hellraiser: EMG 89/81, set neck, rosewood fretboard
Hellraiser Extreme: EMG 89/81, neck-thru, Ebony or Maple fretboard
Hellraiser Hybrid: EMG 66/57, set neck, Ebony board

The rest seem to just be visuals, Type of finish and Binding inlays. All come with options for TOM bridge or Floyd

Haha. This guy beat me to it, while I was typing my long-ass reply. Just to expand on this, though, the regular Hellraiser has the 81tw/89r set, which are both coil-splitting, while the Extreme has the 89r in the neck, but a regular, non-coil-splitting 81 in the bridge. And the Hybrid has the neck from the Banshee and Blackjack SLS lines, which is thinner than the other Hellraisers, and is a 12"-16" compound fretboard radius, while the other HRs have a straight 14" radius.

Also, one more thing, the regular Hellraiser has a full-gloss finish, including the neck, while both the Extreme and Hybrid have satin-finished necks. Some people don't really care one way or the other, but some people absolutely hate gloss necks. Satin is definitely smoother, feels faster, and doesn't get sticky with sweat as quickly.
Quote by the_bi99man
Haha. This guy beat me to it, while I was typing my long-ass reply. Just to expand on this, though, the regular Hellraiser has the 81tw/89r set, which are both coil-splitting, while the Extreme has the 89r in the neck, but a regular, non-coil-splitting 81 in the bridge. And the Hybrid has the neck from the Banshee and Blackjack SLS lines, which is thinner than the other Hellraisers, and is a 12"-16" compound fretboard radius, while the other HRs have a straight 14" radius.

Also, one more thing, the regular Hellraiser has a full-gloss finish, including the neck, while both the Extreme and Hybrid have satin-finished necks. Some people don't really care one way or the other, but some people absolutely hate gloss necks. Satin is definitely smoother, feels faster, and doesn't get sticky with sweat as quickly.

Well, I just found out that that hellraiser extreme c-1 E http://www.schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/hellraiser-extreme/hellraiser-extreme-c-1-e-2013-12-10-detail is like that guitar of my dreams hahaha

I didn´t knew that they built hellraisers with neck-thru, not that I know the differences, ´cause I have only played with bolt on, but I have read that the neck-thru guitars are like the best of the best.
Quote by tanrambo
Well, I just found out that that hellraiser extreme c-1 E http://www.schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/hellraiser-extreme/hellraiser-extreme-c-1-e-2013-12-10-detail is like that guitar of my dreams hahaha

I didn´t knew that they built hellraisers with neck-thru, not that I know the differences, ´cause I have only played with bolt on, but I have read that the neck-thru guitars are like the best of the best.

It's all a matter of opinion. I have bolt on, neck-thru, and set neck guitars (and actually all 3 in c-1's of different natures) and have no real preference. The only negative I see in any is upper fret access on most bolt on necks but as a pure rhythm player that's a non issue for me
its about what you want, their like almost the same, it just depends on the materials used that change the sound. for the feel i would honestly go with jackson. but sound it depends on the pickups, wood, strings, picks, everything else that has nothing to do with brand name

for reliability and production controll id go with jackson their guitars are better made in my opinion
They are both awesome guitars, the only thing you really need to think about is electronics, and which would suit your style best.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Only an X series? Then pretty much any Hellraiser would be better.

Maybe if it was a pro series the Jackson would be better imho.

that's what i'd have thought, but i haven't tried the x series. or the newer non-mij pro jacksons. or, er, the hellraiser.

another useful non-wildly-speculative post from me.
[quote="tanrambo]

completely false. they are typically seen on the higher ranks of some companies, but, ibanez prestiges are bolt on and the joint is carved. i can hit the 24th fret with no effort. Gibsons are set neck and they don't suffier. fender strats and teles are bolt-on. its a case by case difference.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
completely false. they are typically seen on the higher ranks of some companies, but, ibanez prestiges are bolt on and the joint is carved. i can hit the 24th fret with no effort. Gibsons are set neck and they don't suffier. fender strats and teles are bolt-on. its a case by case difference.

The Schecter necks are carved as well. There is no problem at all reaching the 24th fret on a C1 Hellraiser. Trust. I play mine almost daily. I love that guitar and I will be buying a 2nd one soon to keep in standard tuning (current one, I keep in different drop tunings.)
Quote by Jeffh40
The Schecter necks are carved as well. There is no problem at all reaching the 24th fret on a C1 Hellraiser. Trust. I play mine almost daily. I love that guitar and I will be buying a 2nd one soon to keep in standard tuning (current one, I keep in different drop tunings.)

you did not get the point in my post.

"neck-thru guitars are like the best of the best.
that is what i am calling bullshit on.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you did not get the point in my post.

that is what i am calling bullshit on.

Oh, I understood. I was just adding on to your list of guitars with easy access to the top frets.
Quote by Jeffh40
Oh, I understood. I was just adding on to your list of guitars with easy access to the top frets.

no worries i probably wasn't very clear.
I'd say a schecter unless you're going for the 2 grand soloist that I thinki about buying. Schecter has a good bang for buck in my opinion, I suggest going to a satinf finish as.I really prefer the feel compared to my gloss finish Schecter, or even my custom
Does the the newer Hellraiser Hybrid SLS have the same push pull coil-spliting nobs like the like the older Hellraiser c1

Do the SLS Schechter Blackjacks offer the push pull nob feature also ?
Quote by mark_in_florida
Does the the newer Hellraiser Hybrid SLS have the same push pull coil-spliting nobs like the like the older Hellraiser c1

Do the SLS Schechter Blackjacks offer the push pull nob feature also ?

For future reference, start a new thread for a new question, rather than bringing back a thread that had been dead for months. But, I can answer your question.

The Hellraiser Hybrid has the new EMG 57/66 pickups, which are not coil-splitting, so no push-pull knobs. They do have an amazing clean tone though, if that's what you're worried about.

As for the Blackjacks, it depends on the specific model. The new "Blackjack" has SD Nazgul/Sentient pickups, which do coil split, so they've got a push-pull. The older ones had SD JB/Jazz, I believe, which also coil split. The Blackjack ATX has the active Blackout pickups, with no coil-splitting. The Blackjack SLS is available passive or active. The passive version is the same pickups as the regular Blackjack, with the push-pulls, and the active version is the Blackouts again, so no push-pulls.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
I have a schecter hellraiser, got it as my first "serious" guitar after learning on a $100 crappy one. One thing to keep in mind especially if you haven't played it, is it's pretty heavy. That said that's my only complaint about it. I ended up having to buy another guitar once I started playing shows because I honestly just couldn't move around with that as much as I'd like to without my back hurting or being out of breath.

It might be slightly more expensive, but you may also want to check out the esp ltd series, i think the ec-1000 is around this price range, same pickups, and they're lighter, and imo easier to play.
Thanks for the quick reply's

I already own a Hellraiser for a few years and its one of my favorite guitars I just wanted to upgrade to one of the newer SLS models with thinner neck lighter body is all
I was in the process of grabbing a deal on a used 2014 Lefty Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid SLS with the EMG 57/66 pickups for $550. shipped

Its just I didn't realize the new C-1 Hybrid didn't come with that push/pull split coil feature the Hellraiser i own now has it on both the volume nobs and its one of the features I actually really use alot to me its a deal breaker

The dude selling the used one has it listed with Coil Tapping as one of the features and is telling me the EMG 57/66 pickups can easily be rewired with push pull pots to enable the same feature Not true ?

Anyways started looking around found this really nice deal on Ebay $550 shipped New Lefty Blackjack SLS C-1 EX-A not to bad. Really really love the look of this guitar black mat finish looks sexy to me it blows away the look of the Hellraiser but sucks no push pull again ?

Whats my best option here to get what I want?
Is there a way to make one of these deals work add push pull maybe without breaking the bank ?
If not which Schechter models offer up SLS along with push pull so i can start searching in that direction ?
All pickups can be wired in such that they can be tapped or split provided they have 4-conductor wire, which most pickups these days do. A guitar that has coil-tapping isn't really a big selling point. And I don't even like the sound of tapped coils very much. Just because they can be tapped doesn't mean they'll sound good.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
All pickups can be wired in such that they can be tapped or split provided they have 4-conductor wire, which most pickups these days do. A guitar that has coil-tapping isn't really a big selling point. And I don't even like the sound of tapped coils very much. Just because they can be tapped doesn't mean they'll sound good.

The dude the_bi99man just posted above

"The Hellraiser Hybrid has the new EMG 57/66 pickups, which are not coil-splitting, so no push-pull knobs"

So I'm a little confused they can or can not be tapped or split to to use push-pull knobs ?
Last edited by mark_in_florida at Mar 22, 2015,
They can probably be rewired that way if you want. Deep blue is right, most pickups can do that. I'm not certain about those, in particular. But they definitely don't come that way from the factory in that guitar. But seriously though, I would be on a $550 Hellraiser Hybrid like a fat kid on cake. And I'm guessing that you most likely use your coil splits for clean tone? Seriously listen to some demos of the 57/66 cleans. They're beautiful.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Quote by the_bi99man
They can probably be rewired that way if you want. Deep blue is right, most pickups can do that. I'm not certain about those, in particular. But they definitely don't come that way from the factory in that guitar. But seriously though, I would be on a $550 Hellraiser Hybrid like a fat kid on cake. And I'm guessing that you most likely use your coil splits for clean tone? Seriously listen to some demos of the 57/66 cleans. They're beautiful.

I just enjoy mixing the push pulls for different sounds works great i really use it alot great feature

So you think the used but like new lefty Hellraiser for $550 is a killer deal
What about this Brand New Lefty Blackjack SLS C-1 EX-A with BlackOuts AHB-1 Pickups dude said he'd take $550 shipped I think this is a much better deal NO ? Which would you go for ?
Me I totally love the look of this Blackjack to me it blows away the look of the Hellraiser its sexy gining me a woody

Just the no push pull is a deal kill for me and its such a great deal it hurts me in pain to pass on it

Is it possible to split the BlackOuts to work push pull ??
Quote by mark_in_florida
The dude the_bi99man just posted above

"The Hellraiser Hybrid has the new EMG 57/66 pickups, which are not coil-splitting, so no push-pull knobs"

So I'm a little confused they can or can not be tapped or split to to use push-pull knobs ?

I'm not sure about those particular pickups, although I would be surprised if you couldn't. That question can easily be answered by going on Google.
Quote by mark_in_florida
I just enjoy mixing the push pulls for different sounds works great i really use it alot great feature

So you think the used but like new lefty Hellraiser for $550 is a killer deal
What about this Brand New Lefty Blackjack SLS C-1 EX-A with BlackOuts AHB-1 Pickups dude said he'd take $550 shipped I think this is a much better deal NO ? Which would you go for ?
Me I totally love the look of this Blackjack to me it blows away the look of the Hellraiser its sexy gining me a woody

Just the no push pull is a deal kill for me and its such a great deal it hurts me in pain to pass on it

Is it possible to split the BlackOuts to work push pull ??

Its entirely up to you.

I don't think Blackouts can be split though.

But honestly in my personal opinion, I wouldn't make coil splitting a deal-breaker because so many pickups can potentially be coil split. Most active pickups cannot, but they're really the exception rather than the rule. If you get a guitar that happens to not have it, and the pickups are passive, there's a 99% chance you can wire the pickups in such a way that they can be with some fairly simple modifications. In the grand scheme of things, coil splitting isn't really the selling point Schecter makes it out to be.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 23, 2015,
^Agreed. I wouldn't let coil-splits be the deciding factor. But, if you like the look of the Blackjack better, as well, go for it. Looking at Schecter's model lines, the Blackjack SLS and Hellraiser Hybrid are both relatively high-end models, quite comparable to each other. Neither of them is objectively better than the other. They'll feel very much like each other, as they have the exact same neck. Tone will be different, but they're both active pickups, even. Listen to some sound demos of the Blackouts and the 57/66 set, to get an idea of how they'll sound. Other than that, the look should probably be the deciding factor here. I'd take the Hybrid in a heartbeat because I love the way they look, and the 57/66 pickups are awesome, but that's all personal preference.

Also, I just did a little bit of googling, and couldn't find anything about coil-splitting the 57/66 set, or the Blackouts. I think they're both among the handful of active pickups that actually can't be split. If someone else knows for sure, I hope they chime in.
Guitars
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Last edited by the_bi99man at Mar 23, 2015,