Been a bit out of touch from music for quite a while now. Haven't found much inspiration for writing music, and haven't really had the time.

I started writing this thing until I broke a string and haven't been arsed to get new ones, so I figured I'd share what I've got for now at least.

Don't even know what kind of metal to classify this as.

The break after the chorus isn't final, definitely want to work on that; was a lazily written section.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated - I can't really decide if it's any good.

EDIT: Finished it now. v9. Not too sure about the ending.
Attachments:
rock 390 v6.gp5
rock 390 v9.gp5
Last edited by Seb1uk at Nov 17, 2014,
seb1uk once again proving himself as one of the best writers here (and still my favorite)

i noticed that this one has a bit more of a dark sound (more harmonic minor and whatnot). thats not necessarily a bad thing, im just not used to it from you since a lot of your stuff has an upbeat sound

also, i noticed that the complexity was toned down from the usual. once again, its not necessarily a bad thing, just not what im used to

all in all, its pretty damn good man. not my favorite of your pieces, but im biased to the first song of yours i found

seriously though, you should start recording your material. id buy anything you put on bandcamp
Aha I'm glad it didn't disappoint you. But yeah, glad you picked up on the darker sounds - something I wanted to experiment with.

I've told myself for the last 5 years I'd have recorded an album by now but I've never had the chance! Hope you don't forget about me by the time I do get something out there!
Quote by Seb1uk
Aha I'm glad it didn't disappoint you. But yeah, glad you picked up on the darker sounds - something I wanted to experiment with.

I've told myself for the last 5 years I'd have recorded an album by now but I've never had the chance! Hope you don't forget about me by the time I do get something out there!

with as many times as ive listened to your tabs (which are saved to my computer), ill never forget you man XD and i understand. when i finally got the chance to record some music, it got cut short because i moved to canada

also, if youre stuck on drums for a certain part(s), id love to write for it. since ive played drums for a while, i could give you a more realistic approach to drums tracks
Ordinarily, I'd do a section-by-section review, but honestly, the song is quite cohesive. Honestly speaking, there's nothing that immediately jumps out at me as something that may need to be revised. My overall opinion is that the rhythm guitars are good, the drums are nicely done. The big chords are nice and there aren't really any bad note clashes. The leads are tastefully done and they aren't really over-the-top. Fundamentally, the song is pretty much streamlined, effective, and efficient.
pawnlol: It's just that it's hard to make music unless you're dedicating your life to it really. And haha is it really that obvious I'm not a drummer? I'll definitely consider reaching out to you for your expertise. Probably when I get round to recording stuff.

D2BII: Appreciate the feedback. Glad to hear that you don't think there are any bad chords in there - something I was worried about in writing something a bit darker.
Not a genre I'm familiar with but definitely sounds cool, the constant changes keep things really interesting and I'm glad you changed up the chorus the second time around. I hope you get around to finishing it off, and I'd love to mix it if you ever decide to record it
Actually just spent my Friday night finishing this off! Check out v9 in the original post.

I don't know how I feel about the ending - I could've gone to a fade-out but I just wanted to try something a bit different. Can't tell how well it works.
I'm liking it, not sure about the ending chord - like you said a fade out would have been the obvious choice but I feel like it almost stops a bit abruptly.. Maybe something like a rallentando would work better?
Pretty solid song, everything works well together and it has good pacing and constant changes to make it interesting the whole listen. The new version is definitely a big improvement and now it feels like a finished song.
Thanks for the comments.

edgespear: I feel like a rallentando (Google says this is a decelleration) or a fade out would be a lazy option. Both would work for sure, but I want to end on that chord so I just need to think about it a bit more and be a bit smarter in how to link it.
not bad dude. the ending chord was pretty cool in an odd/unique way. it definitely should fade out

for the song itself, i have pretty much the same sentiments as before. not my favorite of your work, but still pretty sweet stuff. i feel like the song doesnt have as much of a tension build-up, or a climax, as your other songs do. this one just kinda "goes through the motions" if you know what i mean
Yeah agree will all of that. I was contemplating doing something big after the Interlude riff, but then it would start to become quite a long song and I wanted it to be a bit shorter and snappier. Everything in it is to the point with nothing overstaying its welcome, apart from maybe the outro...

I felt like the interlude was something I hadn't really tried before - a guitar riff made up of single notes mostly rather than the chordal-lead mix approach I usually take. Glad it turned out alright!
i admire people who try different things. but hey, as long as everything fits into place, there's nothing wrong with having a long song