Hello,
I recently bought a Blackstar TVP15 amp which is great but my problem is the headphone out volume level which is pitiful. I would like to play my guitar through my amp then to my headphones also incorporating a backing track from my pc/mp3 player. Would i need a mixer for this or a mixer and some sort of preamp? I can currently do this with my amp but the line in for the mp3 is very quiet and the guitar not much better when i plug in the headphones.
Cheers
What headphones are you using?
Low sensitivity headphones may be the problem, so you may wanna upgrade.

More or less the same thing for the line in - your mp3 player's output level may be low.

A mixer would help but it would be the less practical thing you could get.
A pair of nice headphones and another mp3 player would be better.

Or, dare I say, a new amp...
The specs say "Speaker emulated output", which may not be designed to drive headphones. That is likely the problem with your levels. A mixer would work. You can find cheap Behringer mixers that will do the job. A mixer can be pretty handy for other things as well.
Thanks,I have been looking at the behringer 502 mixer here will that do the job of not only mixing the backing with guitar but boosting the two signals sufficiently?
I wish I bought a mixer sooner in my music life. They are great for personal and social use, whether out loud or silently in headphones. That mixer should work fine for you. You will probably also need to get one of those red and white rca to 1/8 inch cables so you can plug your mp3 player to the tape in (I think thats the best way to handle that). Also, if you decide to buy any microphones or anything, dont make the same mistake that I made by purchasing the balanced line microphone cable to 1/4" jack. Get the full blown balanced microphone cable. Took me forever to realize why I was getting a terrible signal from my microphones
Quote by mitchf14
Thanks,I have been looking at the behringer 502 mixer here will that do the job of not only mixing the backing with guitar but boosting the two signals sufficiently?
That will work for both using line inputs. And you can add a mic to the other input. You'll have plenty of signal boost.
I'll go ahead and purchase a mixer, i cant sing for shit so a mic wont be a prod lol