I like nylon picks a lot I like there flexibility and grip which makes fast strumming with some single notes between easy for me. But I mainly play strumming stuff. I find tortex hasn't got enough flex and you can't grip it loose enough to give when you play as it just flies out my hand. Even with the thinner red one it has a horrible harsh sort of click when strumming as it's stiffer it makes more volume but I can get more volume from a nylon by strumming harder.

Am I the only one to like use thin nylon picks for everything as everyone raves on about tortex .
Or an Ultex Jazz III. I quite like them. Choke up on them for single note lined, and back off on them for chord strumming.
Different tastes man. I only used nylon when I started, but since a good old time, I use tortex or gator picks.
Damn, you guys care way too much about picks. They're just a ****ing pick, FFS.
I scratch slippery picks with 3 little grooves on each side, so much better grip for no work or money
Quote by Cathbard

I beg to differ. Picks are where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. I get all screwed up when I'm not using my regular picks, missing notes, ect. Like changing tires on your car changes how your car handles, changing picks completely adjusts how the guitar handles.
I find it's mostly preference I like Tortex sharps.

Quote by TheStig1214
I beg to differ. Picks are where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. I get all screwed up when I'm not using my regular picks, missing notes, ect. Like changing tires on your car changes how your car handles, changing picks completely adjusts how the guitar handles.

Have you been listening to Fluff? He used this exact metaphor in FAQ Mondays today.
Quote by TJHague
I find it's mostly preference I like Tortex sharps.

Have you been listening to Fluff? He used this exact metaphor in FAQ Mondays today.

Ah caught me lol. I liked the analogy.

Also, fwiw, I use Winspear Icegrip picks. Not a huge fan of Tortex, I used Ultex for a while, then stainless steel.
I actually prefer Ultex sharps because of the shape. But at a gig I just toss a few picks on top of my amp. It's usually a mixture of Ultex Sharps, Tortex Sharps and Dunlop Nylons. If I drop a pick I just grab the first one that comes to hand. I may prefer the Ultex Sharps but it doesn't really matter that much. Whatever I grab first is just fine.
Quote by BassBen93
I like nylon picks a lot I like there flexibility and grip which makes fast strumming with some single notes between easy for me. But I mainly play strumming stuff. I find tortex hasn't got enough flex and you can't grip it loose enough to give when you play as it just flies out my hand. Even with the thinner red one it has a horrible harsh sort of click when strumming as it's stiffer it makes more volume but I can get more volume from a nylon by strumming harder.

Am I the only one to like use thin nylon picks for everything as everyone raves on about tortex .

I have similar issues with tortex when it comes to strumming. They are great for picking individual notes or even power chords but I find it's hard to get them right for strumming. I do get sweaty hands when playing though, so that could be part of the problem.

I use Dunlop Nylon "Max grip" picks now and they work great.
While I was still teaching, I'd let students try out every style pick I had available, let them take them home and practice for a week, then bring them back and tell me what they liked.

The majority of them, preferred whatever pick they took home to try.
Quote by Cathbard

pretty much how i feel too.
I had no idea there was any playing difference. I've grown attached to Dunlop Gator Grips (1.14) for electric but I have thin nylon picks I use for acoustic.
Nope, you're not alone.

I have a tackle box full of different kinds of picks.

My weapon of choice is the Nylon Jazz III MaxGrip. Red, so they're much harder to lose.

Carbon Fiber, Ultex, Tortex - none of them feel or sound as good as Nylon.

It doesn't really matter though. I mean, it matters to YOU. Of course. But it's not really a big deal of other people don't like it. Everyone needs to use what works for them. As with everything related to guitar. It's highly personal and subjective.
Quote by AWACS
Or an Ultex Jazz III. I quite like them. Choke up on them for single note lined, and back off on them for chord strumming.

That's pretty much what I do with the green (.88) Tortex.
Doing single note, leads etc. I have only about 3mm - 4mm exposed.
Strumming, about 12mm - 15mm exposed
(And yes, I actually just measured it).

And yes Cath, most people are to picky about picks.
I'm kind of one of them I guess.
Anything other than my good old .88's feels awkward.

But at least I'm not TGP level picky about them.
I'm not gonna be paying $25 for a damn pick anytime soon.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 4, 2014,
I really just like them sharp and without flex. If it meets those criteria then I don't really care what it is made out of.
Quote by Cathbard

picks are super important, if the tone is in your fingers then the pick is the translator for the tone. i like using transparent sounding picks so i get most tone from my fingers and it doesn't add too much color to my sound.

seriously though, i use tortex because they seem to be able to deal with my sweaty hands the best. no real other reason, i would use any other readily available pick that doesn't get slippery in my sweaty hands.
Quote by BassBen93

You may find yourself outgrowing thin flexible picks at some point (I did). I'm currently using acrylic-type picks with a very sharp point (Gravity Picks), and they're pretty thick (2-3mm). Just the exact opposite of what you're using.

If you're just strumming anything will do. When you have to move fast and accurately, you may change your mind and move to the dark side <G>.
Quote by Cathbard

I do like my Gravity picks.

They're flippin' expensive (for a flippin' pick!), but I've never lost one!

It is true, however, that I have one of those Pick Punch things that makes picks out of credit cards, etc., and I leave bowls of those out where my pick-thieving friends can get at them (and the Gravities are locked away) at parties, dinners, etc.

By the same token, there are a couple of $125 guitars sitting around in case someone wants to pose with them ("here, take my phone and get a shot...") or beat on them. The good stuff there is similarly locked away.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 4, 2014,
If I'm buying picks it'll be Ultex or Fake Tortoise shell in .88s to 1mm. Depends on what I'm trying to play.

Really though I'll use anything. Even thumb picks.
I care a little bit about shape and gauge but material doesn't bother me much at all. As long as it has a little bit of flex but not too much I don't really care a lot. I use .73's and prefer the shape of the Ultex Sharps but if they were that shape in nylon or tortex I wouldn't give a shit. And having said that, I'll use a tortex sharp or a standard nylon quite happily if that's what comes to hand first.
i love the carbon fiber jazzz iiiis. grip nicely, last forever and i am much happier with them than the tortex picks and the ultex. way more precise
Jazz 3's from me.

I just need a pick that's hard.

On acoustic I do care more, since there isn't much else affecting the sound, and there is a very apparent 'EQ' difference.

For example, sometimes I play with a singer, and the upper mid punch a hard jazz 3 produces totally did not match. Use a flabby 0,66mm or so pick and it's a much nicer blend.

Used ultex for a few years, quite liked that (trans yellow ones with an elephant), sadly they were not made anymore or out of stock for so long I switched. That's also why I like Jazz3 because they seem to be sold everywhere, also smaller shops which I tend to go to often as well.

I actually don't really like tortex, because they seem to give a very short lag on the attack of the sound. At least I think it's tortex, cause I'm also not that picky
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 5, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard

I think I used these:
fficial&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=MXNaVMbKNITBOfaKgIgE&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=984#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=PRr12mxexHlh5M%253A%3BU1OZvhNYqOJwVM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fk-jackpot.air-nifty.com%252Fphotos%252Funcategorized%252F2009%252F03%252F18%252Fpick1_2.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fk-jackpot.air-nifty.com%252Fanalog%252F2009%252F03%252Fnew-05ef.html%3B554%3B640">fficial&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=MXNaVMbKNITBOfaKgIgE&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=984#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=PRr12mxexHlh5M%253A%3BU1OZvhNYqOJwVM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fk-jackpot.air-nifty.com%252Fphotos%252Funcategorized%252F2009%252F03%252F18%252Fpick1_2.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fk-jackpot.air-nifty.com%252Fanalog%252F2009%252F03%252Fnew-05ef.html%3B554%3B640">https://www.google.nl/search?q=dunlop+ultex&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=Cd7&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=MXNaVMbKNITBOfaKgIgE&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=984#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=PRr12mxexHlh5M%253A%3BU1OZvhNYqOJwVM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fk-jackpot.air-nifty.com%252Fphotos%252Funcategorized%252F2009%252F03%252F18%252Fpick1_2.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fk-jackpot.air-nifty.com%252Fanalog%252F2009%252F03%252Fnew-05ef.html%3B554%3B640

I think those you pointed out are new(er) print, but the old ones were barely stocked over here, even at major shops.

Doesn't matter now, was 6 years ago, and have been using jazz 3 all along since then. I also like the smaller size, cause it seems to give me more dynamic control and response.
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 5, 2014,