I am currently running

Guitar -> pitchblack tuner -> hm-2 -> input on 5150

fx loop send -> mxr 10 band eq -> return

Of course it's preference.

However, what are the pros and cons of running it in the front or fx loop or what is the preamp out that I heard other people talking about. Thanks!
it's just the bog standard decimator, right? (i.e. not the g-string version)

basically in the loop will cut amp noise (and guitar noise too i guess) while in front of the amp will cut guitar noise (and any pedal noise of any pedals in front of it).

it maybe sounds and feels slightly more "natural" in front of the amp. but if amp noise is a problem it's better in the loop.

i'm not sure what you mean by the "preamp out" thing. Unless that's just the same as running it in the loop.

EDIT: you need to have the loop set to series for it to work well in the loop. EDIT: ah ok so I downloaded the 6505 manual and it doesn't have any settings or control for the loop. so don't worry about that, and just hope it's a series loop.

it has a preamp out too, i guess that's what you're talking about. I'm not sure about that, better wait until someone who's more familiar with the amp answers that.
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 3, 2014,
The way this was explained to me is that you need to figure out where the noise is in the chain. If it's the guitar, run through the front. If it's the amp, then the FX loop. Anecdotal evidence: I see from the Internet that most run it through the FX loop. My effects loop goes ISP G-String > Delay > Loop.
its the standard decimator.

still have questions about the "preamp"

also, there is nothing to set it to series on the 5150 so scratch that?
yeah, as i said, it doesn't seem to have a control for that. if it doesn't seem to be cutting all the noise in the loop, the loop might not be series.
He has a 5150 -- the noise is coming from the preamp.

I would run it in the loop, because the preamp on a 5150/6505 series amp causes quite a bit of noise. By placing it in the loop, you're gating all that preamp noise.

I've never used a Decimator but I have a Boss NS-2 which allows me to run my front-end through it (guitar, boost pedals) and the loop through it simultaneously....= no noise whatsoever. But by far, the biggest contributor to the noise in my rig is my 6505's preamp.
Quote by KailM

I would run it in the loop, because the preamp on a 5150/6505 series amp causes quite a bit of noise. By placing it in the loop, you're gating all that preamp noise.

I've never used a Decimator but I have a Boss NS-2 which allows me to run my front-end through it (guitar, boost pedals) and the loop through it simultaneously....= no noise whatsoever. But by far, the biggest contributor to the noise in my rig is my 6505's preamp.

kaiM, you are always hooking it up with your answers. Thanks again for the help!
Quote by KailM

lol good point