for example, I'm strumming

2 quarter notes 3 eighth notes and 2 sixteenth notes

If i want all my strums to be the same speed, I can strum faster, so D U D U D U D U to play my quarter notes (bold is when you play) or

I can just slow down my strum and play it D U D U, then move up and down faster for the eight notes..however my up and dumb movements won't be even and the same speed...Should you always strum with the same speed or is it ok to change speeds?
Um.... of course? Why would there be anything wrong with strumming at different speeds? That's how you play different tempos. If you're talking about strumming faster for hitting shorter notes, like in quick bursts, while strumming slower in general for longer notes... yeah, there's nothing wrong with that, either. Just play how it feels comfortable.
I think I know what you are getting at. Basically, are you asking if it is necessary to constantly go down up down up for each beat to account for all the 16th notes? If this is what you are implying, then yes, for this rhythm example, I'd say reducing the number of strums would be ok.
thanks guys... makes me feel better that i'm not doing anything wrong.
"Can you change the speed of your strum?"

Certainly.

That's one of the best things about being a Musician, you can change anything, at any time.
Last edited by Metalmann67 at Nov 4, 2014,
I don't know if i get your question right, but the best thing is to keep your hand moving, like in the 1e+a 2e+a i'll keep my hand moving up and down even if i don't strum the strings, this way you keep the rhythm flowing and you won't have difficulties on the last 4e+a.