Couldn't pass this one up!

Les Paul Custom SG

Mahogany body, binding, vibrato added tailpiece which I rarely see, black trimming and silver hardware, grover tuners! And in the colour I was looking for in an SG, cream white.

It's as good or better than my Gibson SG standard!

I never would of been interested in an Epi but this well made higher end one certainly is amazing to play and look at! I'm surprised at the quality..

Anyone have any opinions on these guitars?

My opinion is that it looks like it could rock someone's balls off if they're not careful! Nice score!

Given what's going on with their parent company, Gibson, I suspect that you're going to see an uptick in people buying the better Epiphones and being VERY happy with them.

As an F.Y.I., Epiphone is also behind the re-released SG double neck.
I've found the higher end epi's to easily compete with lower end Gibson's. If you look hard enough, you can find epi's that match and exceed Gibson Studios.

Great find!
The more I play this one the more I love it.

Every note rings out clean, no fret buzz whatsoever.. stays in tune with hard playing/vibrato, the neck is smooth.. I just need to try out the pickups at high volumes and with my band.. can't wait!

My Gibson SG standard was the main axe for the past year or so, but I always had a thing for white guitars, this one gives me everything I would be asking for!
Quote by DEV_L
The more I play this one the more I love it.

Every note rings out clean, no fret buzz whatsoever.. stays in tune with hard playing/vibrato, the neck is smooth.. I just need to try out the pickups at high volumes and with my band.. can't wait!

My Gibson SG standard was the main axe for the past year or so, but I always had a thing for white guitars, this one gives me everything I would be asking for!

I have nothing against any Epiphone.

A few years ago, I did a total rebuild on an Epi, LP copy; and it now plays better, and sounds better, than any store bought LP.

Congrats, and hope it brings you many, many, years, of complete comfort.
Epiphone has been an audible and visual presence in every great musical era, from the mandolin craze of the early 1900s to the jazz-age guitars of the 1920s, from swing-era archtops through post-war pop, jazz, R&B and early rock ‘n’ roll, from the British Invasion to heavy metal, punk, grunge and thrash. And now, in the 21st century, new Epiphone technological breakthroughs, such as the ProBucker humbucking pickup, series-parallel switching, built-in KillSwitch pots, the Shadow NanoFlex and NanoMag pickup systems, and premier acoustic/electric guitars with the eSonic preamp have brought the historic Epiphone name to a new generation.
I have an older version of the epi SG custom from 1999 made in korea - the only things that let it down are the pickups, electronics, nut and bridge - all important features, obviously, but inexpensive to replace. the guitar itself is very solidly built and could easily compete with a gibson if it had better hardware. Great neck, too.

In lots of cases, epiphones are held back by flaws that aren't that expensive or time consuming to correct, and are very rewarding when you do correct them.
I'm glad that you're happy, TS.

Epiphone can sometimes make some really, really impressive guitars. Really the only things that generally need to be changed are pickups (if they're not aftermarket) and occasionally the switches. Most of the hardware on the newer ones don't need to be changed anymore.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 4, 2014,
I've had a G-400 since 09 and it is a nice guitar. All it needed was a pickup change and it screams. All the hardware is just fine and it came with Grover machine heads
Wow, that looks like some serious muscle in that HHH setup. Looks great.

Also, I hate to be that guy, but, is that Frontman your only amp?

Quote by dannyalcatraz

As an F.Y.I., Epiphone is also behind the re-released SG double neck.

Re-released? As far as I know Epiphone has been making them in limited numbers since forever.
They were out of production for a while. They made a big fuss about it "being back" a few months ago.
For a while they were plywood body's and the last run they had (09-10) started with the solid Mahogany bodies
Quote by DEV_L
stays in tune with hard playing/vibrato,

No locking nut - you'll have to always make sure the strings are wrapped exact, no overlaps especially or it won't stay in tune I'm sure.
Are the saddles smooth? can't tell from the pic, as long as they aren't pointy I guess. I do love SGs but would never buy a trem like that and expect to abuse it, subtle movements at most.

Nice guitar though!!
Quote by Tempoe
Are the saddles smooth? can't tell from the pic, as long as they aren't pointy I guess.

it's hard to tell, but it looks like it has roller saddles.
yeah it is roller saddles. I don't go nuts on the bar, just enough to get a bit of vibrato. I don't use it as a whammy or floyd.
Those are just two practice amps i got. 25$ each! Pwavey Blazer and the Frontman.. great for just jamming in the living room, looks like a mini stack!

my main amp is a JCM 900 mk III with mesa cabs.
I've been thinking about picking up 2010 AFD Epi Les Paul. I've never owned an Epiphone but I've heard good things .
Quote by Robbgnarly
For a while they were plywood body's and the last run they had (09-10) started with the solid Mahogany bodies

Sorry, that is not accurate

The G1275 Standard only had been made in 1996
The G1275 Custom had been made from 1996-2012

both of them had been made from alder or laminated mahogany
the '96-'12 model had flamed maple veneer,

the new Limited Ed. 2014 model is made from laminated mahogany, too
with a mahogany veneer on its top

In the Epi marketing language it's called 'Select Mahogany'

The only reason for it is the weight...
This is confirmed by the Epi CEO
Quote by paruwi
Sorry, that is not accurate

The G1275 Standard only had been made in 1996
The G1275 Custom had been made from 1996-2012

both of them had been made from alder or laminated mahogany
the '96-'12 model had flamed maple veneer,

the new Limited Ed. 2014 model is made from laminated mahogany, too
with a mahogany veneer on its top

In the Epi marketing language it's called 'Select Mahogany'

The only reason for it is the weight...
This is confirmed by the Epi CEO

OK, I was under the wrong impression then
Nice score OP. I have an Epi Goldtop that I loaded with SD Black Winters. Plays like butter.
HNGD! HHH isn't my bag of worms but damn, that's foxy! I used to hate on Epi electrics but I've come around a bit and love the Dots and the Wildkat. I'd have a blast trying out the triple humbuckers with a few stacked fuzz pedals, I could only imagine the carnage.