1. Does anyone know what pickups come stock in this guitar of mine?

2. Do people buy previously owned pickups?

3. I'm highly considering swapping them for new ones, since I already did a bunch of research and found out what would best suit my taste, how are these stock ones compared to others?
Attachments:
rsz_5img_2072.jpg
Last edited by andersondb7 at Nov 3, 2014,
1. Depends on what year it is. Post the serial number if you're not sure
2. Yes
3. Not sure how we're supposed to compare those pickups to "others" as that covers literally every pickup ever made. Gibson stock pickups are generally decent but aftermarket pickups obviously give you a lot more options for customization.
Stock pickups in the SG Standard are 490R in the neck and 498T in the bridge.

Yes, people buy used pickups.

Depends. They're better than a lot of lower end pups, but not as good as say Bareknuckle, Motor City, or even the better Duncans or Dimarzios.
Last edited by classicrocker01 at Nov 3, 2014,
Depends on what year it was made, but they should be 57 Classics.

People do buy them, but don't expect top dollar for them. Check out craigslist or eBay for some pricing guides based on where you live.

Depends on what you're comparing them to and what sound you want. 57 Classics are nice, but what are you thinking about replacing them with and what are you running the guitar through?

Quote by classicrocker01
Stock pickups in the SG Standard are 496R in the neck and 498T in the bridge.

I thought the standards came with the 57's and the specials came with the 496 and 498.
Last edited by Eppicurt at Nov 3, 2014,
The new ones do, but if I'm not mistaken that one looks to be a few years old, making it the 490 (or maybe 496, hell I dont remember anymore).

That's what my 1997 model SG Standard had.
Well I'll be damned. TS, if you tell us the year we'll be able to tell you what they are.
I think they changed when they went back to the small pickguard.

Anywho, if it is the 490/498 combo, they're decent, but only decent. The 57 Classics, however, are some of my favorite pickups. I have a set in my Les Paul Trad and I really wouldn't change them
Eppicurt, I really wanna Dimarzio Dominion for the Bridge and a SD Pearly Gates for the Neck. I trust Mark Morton when it comes to tone and I'd like to get a similar sound out of my guitar. When it comes to the Neck, I wanted something that would get gorgeous clean tones, and I'm not primarily concerned with distortion on the Neck but seeing as the Pearly Gates does both extremely well, I was convinced it was a winner.

I play a Vox AC15 2x12 with a Boss DS-1 and it sounds triumphant.

I wish I knew what the Serial or year number was but they're completely obscured by the paint and gloss
Last edited by andersondb7 at Nov 3, 2014,
I LOVE the 57's on the new standards. They aren't high output as some as the other pups I've used, but they are annoyingly clear, has a nice snap, and I hear everything I play. There are very few times I've considered upgrading a guitar with the stock pickups of another, but I do love the sound from the 57's.

I do like how the 490's in my buddies LP sound. Though, he does have an SG standard, (full pickguard?) definitely a little old, but I find his pickups to be too "wet" for my tastes.
You also can't go wrong with the pearly gates.
Quote by andersondb7
Eppicurt, I really wanna Dimarzio Dominion for the Bridge and a SD Pearly Gates for the Neck. I trust Mark Morton when it comes to tone and I'd like to get a similar sound out of my guitar. When it comes to the Neck, I wanted something that would get gorgeous clean tones, and I'm not primarily concerned with distortion on the Neck but seeing as the Pearly Gates does both extremely well, I was convinced it was a winner.

I play a Vox AC15 2x12 with a Boss DS-1 and it sounds triumphant.

I wish I knew what the Serial or year number was but they're completely obscured by the paint and gloss

A big part of Mark's sound is from a Mesa Boogie Transatlantic and the Mark series, it'll be tough to match his sound through an AC15 and a DS1. A pickup swap won't really get you there unfortunately.

Great combo nonetheless, if you still feel like a pickup swap then by all means go for it. But if there aren't 57 classics in there it wouldn't be a complete waste of time or money to put some Duncans in.
Quote by Eppicurt
A big part of Mark's sound is from a Mesa Boogie Transatlantic and the Mark series, it'll be tough to match his sound through an AC15 and a DS1. A pickup swap won't really get you there unfortunately.

Great combo nonetheless, if you still feel like a pickup swap then by all means go for it. But if there aren't 57 classics in there it wouldn't be a complete waste of time or money to put some Duncans in.

Yes thats true, it IS very difficult to get a hardrock sound out of it, but I've managed to get a preeetty good one I reckon.

Cheers, everyone! Thanks!!