Page 1 of 2
Do you use Spotify? Do you like Spotify if you use it? What do you think of their practises in regards to paying artists who put their music up there?

A few artists refuse to have their discography on Spotify out of protest at the low amount of money to artists who put their music on there. Recently Thom Yorke/Radiohead took their music off there, and yesterday Taylor Swift did. This has come to a mixed reception, musicians I know have applauded them but normal everyday people think it's kinda arrogant and "forces" you to buy their albums.

What do you think?

I personally only use it very occasionally to listen to a few instrumental chill out playlists and stuff, I use an iPod classic so I like to have my own copies on my hard drive for most of my collection.
I use spotify, I think it's great. Of course it generates little money but I don't generate much money in this society either so we're perfect for each other.

I can understand why artists would take their stuff off of it though
it's still not available here, prolly cuz of the ******ed laws we have regarding music

such is life behind iron curtain
Quote by snipelfritz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaL7VWByB5Q

But seriously, I'm an HxC music Nazi. I control what I listen to always. So no. I don't **** with anything that isn't me deciding what individual song I'm listening to next either on YouTube or on my large collection of pirated music.

you.... can control what you listen to on spotify though..... it's not like pandora.... I mean, you know that right? :p
Quote by Baby Joel
you made this thread cause of taylor swift didn't you

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe

Plus it's a fairly interesting topic in general because artists seem to hate it but the public love it.
I love spotify.... why are artists being so picky about this? at least they got SOMETHING. now that they've deleted their shit they get jack shit.
Quote by whywefight
you.... can control what you listen to on spotify though..... it's not like pandora.... I mean, you know that right? :p

No, I honestly don't know the difference between pandora and spotify.

I can listen to something on YouTube or I can download it. As a sane person, why would I deal with ANYTHING else?
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
I love spotify.... why are artists being so picky about this? at least they got SOMETHING. now that they've deleted their shit they get jack shit.

except Thom Yorke and Taylor Swift both sold an approximate metric shit ton of copies

Of course, both of them would anyway. But it does make me think that the exclusivity of the album only being sold in physical format does actually work slightly for the benefit of already established artists, such as Tool.
Quote by snipelfritz
No, I honestly don't know the difference between pandora and spotify.

I can listen to something on YouTube or I can download it. As a sane person, why would I deal with ANYTHING else?

Yeah, that's fair enough. Youtube is going all anal on users uploading music though, and I think you'd be surprised how well Spotify can organize it's library. It's basically iTunes except you don't have to buy stuff and they make you listen to ads if you don't pay a monthly subscription fee
Last edited by whywefight at Nov 4, 2014,
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

Forcing people to buy on iTunes or from their own site or a physical copy is the idea I guess.
Quote by whywefight
except Thom Yorke and Taylor Swift both sold an approximate metric shit ton of copies

Of course, both of them would anyway. But it does make me think that the exclusivity of the album only being sold in physical format does actually work slightly for the benefit of already established artists, such as Tool.

okay. even still... they have millions on the bank, but music sales are declining whether you are taylor swift or GWAR or whoever you think you are.
Be happy for every penny you get for your music.

Celebs are too spoiled with the big money.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Forcing people to buy on iTunes or from their own site or a physical copy is the idea I guess.

People don't like to be forced. hence why piracy is a huge thing. also youtube
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Nov 4, 2014,
Sorry, I can't hear this over me listening to pirated music.

When will we get to the point where "businesspeople" actually realize that Pirate Bay is practically legal and they need to compete with piracy? Seriously. I'm sitting here getting a bunch of shit for free that people are still trying to market to me.

Where is Xiaoxi right now? He needs to get his capitalist bros on this. If they can improve on free shit on the Internet, I'd LOVE to see it, but nobody is even trying.
Quote by snipelfritz
Sorry, I can't hear this over me listening to pirated music.

When will we get to the point where "businesspeople" actually realize that Pirate Bay is practically legal and they need to compete with piracy? Seriously. I'm sitting here getting a bunch of shit for free that people are still trying to market to me.

Where is Xiaoxi right now? He needs to get his capitalist bros on this. If they can improve on free shit on the Internet, I'd LOVE to see it, but nobody is even trying.

how do you improve something that's free and easy?
If people try to change the way piratebay or similiar sites work, they are wasting their time.
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
If people try to change the way piratebay or similiar sites work, they are wasting their time.

According to #murrcanlogic they can make it better if someone makes money off of it.

I'm putting that challenge out there.
Never really used it. I prefer to just download my music since I mostly listen to it on my ipod anyway.
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
okay. even still... they have millions on the bank, but music sales are declining whether you are taylor swift or GWAR or whoever you think you are.

People don't like to be forced. hence why piracy is a huge thing. also youtube

Deluxe albums are really forcing me to piracy. I would love to buy albums (and sometimes I do) but it seems to pointless when I know there's often "bonus tracks" and stuff that will come out in a deluxe or special edition album down the road, so often I'll just pirate it when it comes out anyway.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
so often I'll just pirate it when it comes out anyway.

See...this man gets it.

Let's see the invisible hand compete with free shit.

...sorry, I couldn't hear your response about trickle-down,reaganesque nonsense bullshit over all of this free media I'm consuming because its just not economically feasible to enforce anti-piracy laws.
Last edited by snipelfritz at Nov 4, 2014,
Occasionally. I prefer 8tracks and soundcloud for finding new music though. I only use Spotify for a couple of playlists I like and for listening to songs I hear on the radio which are stuck in my head but I don't wanna watch the video on yt and I don't like enough to listen to the whole thing. The ads are really annoying and that puts me off. If I'm gonna pay to remove ads I might as well buy the album.

Edit:i rely on streaming and radio and music on TV now because my headphone jack on my iPod doesn't work and i'd rather use the space available on my phone for pics than music.
Last edited by guitarxo at Nov 4, 2014,
Quote by snipelfritz
See...this man gets it.

Let's see the invisible hand compete with free shit.

...sorry, I couldn't hear your response about trickle-down,reaganesque nonsense bullshit over all of this free media I'm consuming because its just not economically feasible to enforce anti-piracy laws.

Not gonna lie, I do buy albums, but only if the packaging is really nice and I'll get a DVD or something with it and it's like a fiver.
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

You DO get jack shit from spotify

Specifically, I get $0.0005 per stream
Quote by darkwolf291
You DO get jack shit from spotify

Specifically, I get $0.0005 per stream

By your logic:

thats $500 per million streams. Taylor swift pulled the music off spotify, but something tells me she easily hits the million mark. there's so many people all over the world using spotify, I bet she probably even easily hits the 10 million streams.
10 million = 5000 bucks. how can you not be happy with that.

However:
also they don't pay per stream. it's more complex.

source: http://www.spotifyartists.com/spotify-explained/

the problem is record labels taking the huge cuts. (70% according to the chart.) and it depends on the contract the artist has with a record label company, how much money they'll get. It's not spotify that's the problem here.

Also it's not the artists pulling the music off. Its the people in charge of the label.
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Nov 4, 2014,
I love it. And most of the bands on it I listen to either are bands that give their mysic away for free anyway. Or I like them enough to buy an overpriced tshirt or hoodie every once in a while.
spotify doesn't pay per stream so that's a completely arbitrary number lol. it pays disproportionately more money to larger artists because it doesn't want to waste money on bands that don't draw in people to spotify

It has more to do with how many users stream a band/ artist than how many plays they receive. So if theoretically you were to open up a radio station of your own band and just let that shit run all day, spotify still will pay next to nothing for only one or two users streaming a song a few hundred times. Not that I've checked or anything....
Last edited by whywefight at Nov 4, 2014,
My music's on spotify, just don't use a label.

I imagine streaming is where a lot of my odd and weird payouts come from, like the cents tagged on the end of whatever.
Last edited by stratkat at Nov 4, 2014,
Quote by stratkat
My music's on spotify, just don't use a label.

I imagine streaming is where a lot of my odd and weird payouts come from, like the cents tagged on the end of whatever.

probably, can you see how many people have listened to your music?
I'm interested in numbers like that if you're OK with sharing that info
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
probably, can you see how many people have listened to your music?
I'm interested in numbers like that if you're OK with sharing that info

I'd be fine with sharing it but I have no idea, most sites like iTunes charge for analytic or whatever info.
Don't know if spotify even offers it, but I'm sure they'd charge.
Quote by stratkat
I'd be fine with sharing it but I have no idea, most sites like iTunes charge for analytic or whatever info.
Don't know if spotify even offers it, but I'm sure they'd charge.

too bad. cool that you have your music on it though. is that hard to do?
Quote by Baby Joel
you made this thread cause of taylor swift didn't you

First thing I thought when I saw the title
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
too bad. cool that you have your music on it though. is that hard to do?

Naw it's easy, it just takes some tracks and about 45 bucks to get your music pretty much everywhere.

I use catapult distribution.
Quote by stratkat
Naw it's easy, it just takes some tracks and about 45 bucks to get your music pretty much everywhere.

I use catapult distribution.

cool thanks, going to check that out!
Do you use Spotify?

Yes, but not as my main source of music. I use it to supplement my iPod.

Do you like Spotify if you use it?

Yes.

What do you think of their practises in regards to paying artists who put their music up there?

From what I can tell, Spotify is the ones paying the labels, the labels pay the artists. Yeah, it's not great for the struggling artist, and creates even more problems with CD sales, but it's a viable solution to piracy. I know I've stopped pirating albums.

A few artists refuse to have their discography on Spotify out of protest at the low amount of money to artists who put their music on there. Recently Thom Yorke/Radiohead took their music off there, and yesterday Taylor Swift did. This has come to a mixed reception, musicians I know have applauded them but normal everyday people think it's kinda arrogant and "forces" you to buy their albums.

What do you think?

God forbid these artists want to be paid what the market is willing to pay them. Yeah, in the cases of Radiohead and Taylor Swift (arguably the most famous and lucrative music act right now), they don't need the money, but conversely, it makes headlines if they choose to do this (I initially thought this was her label's decision). They're the ones who could make a difference.
once upon a time i wrote an essay about spotify and i actually did an acceptable amount of research for once and it turns out that it actually pays pretty well and it's just major labels nicking all the money

so shout at labels, not at the best thing to happen to music distribution in the history of ever
Businesses whining because customers don't care about their dumb shit any more is great
Yes I use Spotify, I love it. I've discovered lots of new music from there and then purchased tunes/albums from those bands because of it, since I don't pay for the paid version of Spotify (and don't see the value of that, either.)
Everyone I know who has used both Rdio and Spotify says Rdio is superior and eventually switches to Rdio. Thoughts?
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

You do know that the large majority of musicians aren't as successful and wealthy as Taylor Swift, right? Right?
Page 1 of 2