Hey....
A little backdrop about me... i got myself a vintage Rg550 last year and have fallen in love with the wizard neck...so much so that i rarely touch my other guitars now which include a fender strat and esp Kh series...The wizard II and IIIs on the newer Rgs dont do it for me either....i have smallish hands and the original wizard feels so comfortable...playing chords for long can be painful but thats a minor con...

I came across this on an internet site..The seller only knows its an RG series by the name on the headstock...and nothing else..his demand is 200 USD..The pictures show ''made by team j craft'' logo on the back of the headstock which i believe is only put on the prestige and Jcustom guitars...which makes this a friggin steal in 200usd...The bridge appears to be an original edge....theres rust on the hardware as well indicating it might be vintage...is it an RG570?

but ive come across quite a few fake ibanezs in the past so now im wary about this one...specially considering the too low to believe pricetag.

Ive asked him for some more pictures of the headstock front and back and the neck side on profile..here are some pictures i have

Any help is appreciated
Quote by gorkyporky
If you can get a serial number from the guy you can test it ere and see where and when the guitar was made:

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/ibanez.aspx

Thanks for the link, Gorky.

Just checked one of mine, and found out it as manufactured in Korea in 1999.

Now, gotta check the other two.
Quote by gorkyporky
If you can get a serial number from the guy you can test it ere and see where and when the guitar was made:

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/ibanez.aspx

Thanks man..ive asked him for the serial number..

Whats your opinion based on the pics....Im favouring legit but then i might be subconsciously biased because i sooo want it to be ...a vintage ibanez with the original wizard for 200 bucks...wow.
Last edited by Insomnium101 at Nov 4, 2014,
trying to read the serial number from the headstock pic above... its F0516xxxxx

which means it was made in the Fuji-gen plant in 1990(is that is actually a 0).....my 87Rg550 serial is F733809
that's not an edge

EDIT: that team j-craft stamp looks iffy, but i could be wrong.

did they even do team j-craft stamps back then? i have a 2000 MIJ 470 and it doesn't have a j-craft stamp.

it looks iffy to me. doesn't have v-series pickups either.

now, maybe the original owner parted it out. but it's suspicious (and even if he/she did, you're still let with way crappier parts which isn't much use to you).

i'd pass

EDIT: I could be wrong but I don't think the AANJ was around in 1990 either.

It's more likely it's 2005. and by 2005 I think they should've had the multi-piece necks.

As I said, though, to me it looks iffy. Like, fake iffy. I could be wrong. But I'd err on the side of caution. At very best, it's an MIJ with (far) crappier parts. At worst it's a partscaster (MIJ neck with non-MIJ body?) or fake.

I'm leaning towards fake. Avoid.
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 4, 2014,
Contact the guy who selling this guitar and request him to give model number. Once you get the model number then you can understand the item easily. All the best.
Quote by Randalltbartel
Contact the guy who selling this guitar and request him to give model number. Once you get the model number then you can understand the item easily. All the best.

thats not really decisive. have him take the neck off and get numbers from the neck and body. but i doubt he will.

unless he does that and it checks out i would say its a fake.
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's not an edge

EDIT: that team j-craft stamp looks iffy, but i could be wrong.

did they even do team j-craft stamps back then? i have a 2000 MIJ 470 and it doesn't have a j-craft stamp.

it looks iffy to me. doesn't have v-series pickups either.

now, maybe the original owner parted it out. but it's suspicious (and even if he/she did, you're still let with way crappier parts which isn't much use to you).

i'd pass

EDIT: I could be wrong but I don't think the AANJ was around in 1990 either.

It's more likely it's 2005. and by 2005 I think they should've had the multi-piece necks.

As I said, though, to me it looks iffy. Like, fake iffy. I could be wrong. But I'd err on the side of caution. At very best, it's an MIJ with (far) crappier parts. At worst it's a partscaster (MIJ neck with non-MIJ body?) or fake.

I'm leaning towards fake. Avoid.

Yah ive decided to pass on this one...too many red flags..

Thanks everyone for the info and keeping me rational here cuz my love for the original wizard makes me very gullible.
The J Craft stickers came after they started the Prestige's and it should say Prestige on the front of the headstock. It looks like a 1570 but who knows.
Hokay guys hes sent me some more pics...in addition to other discrepancies,the headstock shape looks mishappen...No prestige on the headstock either...the serial number is clearly visible now which shows it to be a 05 mij...Interestingly it does have the mirage/gloss finish that the 05 ibanez catalog boasts off

that is totally fake

the font is wrong on the back of the headstock.

headstock shape is way off, as you said.

if it is 2005 it should say prestige on the headstock.

middle pickup is in the wrong place (WTF? ), it shouldn't be as close to the neck pickup (plus the routing shape looks wrong)

probably a bunch of other things wrong with it, too- the trem route looks iffy, and as i said before, it's not an edge, and the volume and tone knobs look to be in the wrong place. even the body shape looks kind of wonky.

avoid, it's a fake.
Disclaimer: I'm using this for reference.

For one, neither knob seems to be in the right place (especially the volume knob). That middle pickup also doesn't look like it's in the right spot (it's rout also looks off). That bridge looks wrong as well. Don't they also say "RG Series" on the headstock?

That one's gotta be fake.
^ Yeah. I strongly suspected it was a fake when it had crappier, blurrier pics. With those better pics I'm 99.9% sure it's fake.
looks like a washburn from circa 10 years ago i owned one strangely similar in burgundy metallic. also the 12th and 24th fret dots are too widely spaced, i am referring to the 1570 i have in my hands.