What can the Boss CS-3, compresser sustainer, do for me, for metal/hardcore for that Nails sound?

I'm thinking of running a hm-2 for most sound or in the FX loop like kailM does.

Would the cs-3 be a good addition to my rig? Is it a set it and forget it, or just for a boost here and there. What does it do exactly?
Well, a compressor adds sustain. It makes your notes sustain (hold or ring) longer.
It can also give a boost to your sound, but it will also generate a lot of noise. Maybe a decent boost pedal should do the trick..?

I''ve had the CS-3 and I didn't like it.. If you can, then get the earlier model CS-2 or anither comp from another brand.
Quote by PedalFreak94
Well, a compressor adds sustain. It makes your notes sustain (hold or ring) longer.
It can also give a boost to your sound, but it will also generate a lot of noise. Maybe a decent boost pedal should do the trick..?

I''ve had the CS-3 and I didn't like it.. If you can, then get the earlier model CS-2 or anither comp from another brand.

Okay I'll look into cs-2's instead. How come you didn't like it?

Would it effect my overall tone?
Good idea. I can't say for sure that you won't like it, you could go try it out at a guitar center!
Well, IMO it colored my tone to much and got a lot of noise as soon as you increase its knobs..
I found the Mooer Yellow Compressor instead, and it really does the job for me!! Good for a lot of Pink Floyd and stuff!
Try search a little on the net or YouTube! There's a lot of good stuff there!

A compressor would always, at some point, color or effect your tone. But, you can tweak it to be as you like it! :-)
A lot of people like the Diamond Compressor.
Never tried one myself so I can't say if it will suit you.

I've got a CS-3 and yeah, stock its noisy.
I replaced the cheap carbon film resistors with metal film resistors and its much quieter.

I also use mine for a different purpose.
I keep the "Attack" knob dimed which gives me a little bit of "twang".
Works great for that Allen Collins/Gary Rossington sound.

You may want to check this one out.
Its a clone of the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer.
And/Or here various compressors):
http://www.analogman.com/rossmod.htm
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 4, 2014,